The Student Room Group

Dentistry with a C in GCSE English lang and it?

(How) can I get into dentistry with only a C in english GCSE?
Reply 1
Original post by sandvika
(How) can I get into dentistry with only a C in english GCSE?

I had C in GCSE lang and Lit as well, few As and some Bs. GCSEs doesnt really matter tbh, my GCSEs were horrible compared to those 11 A*s students in my school. Had 3 A* prediction at A-Level and 2860 UKCAT (top 10% of this year), had 3 interviews and 2 offers for dentistry 2015. Your AS results, UKCAT, personal statement and knowledge about dentistry is what matters.
Make sure you know your weakness and strengths, try to avoid universities that judge heavily on GCSE results.
If you are a home student and studied in the UK for more than 4 years, then don't worry too much about English language requirement, this is often for international students only.
If you are an international, just take the IELTS and it will cover up ur GCSE C in most cases(this is what i did), but, make sure you email the admissions to ask, because some university (kings) doesn't seem to accept this, and still ask for B or about in GCSE English.
If you are emailing the admissions about something, make sure you email early enough, so you have enough time to think about which uni to apply for. I emailed Queen's in August asking about number of international student places they had + english lang requirement, and they didn't reply until mid December, which was 2 months after the deadline for dentistry applicants.
Hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions
Reply 2
Original post by xMystics
I had C in GCSE lang and Lit as well, few As and some Bs. GCSEs doesnt really matter tbh, my GCSEs were horrible compared to those 11 A*s students in my school. Had 3 A* prediction at A-Level and 2860 UKCAT (top 10% of this year), had 3 interviews and 2 offers for dentistry 2015. Your AS results, UKCAT, personal statement and knowledge about dentistry is what matters.
Make sure you know your weakness and strengths, try to avoid universities that judge heavily on GCSE results.
If you are a home student and studied in the UK for more than 4 years, then don't worry too much about English language requirement, this is often for international students only.
If you are an international, just take the IELTS and it will cover up ur GCSE C in most cases(this is what i did), but, make sure you email the admissions to ask, because some university (kings) doesn't seem to accept this, and still ask for B or about in GCSE English.
If you are emailing the admissions about something, make sure you email early enough, so you have enough time to think about which uni to apply for. I emailed Queen's in August asking about number of international student places they had + english lang requirement, and they didn't reply until mid December, which was 2 months after the deadline for dentistry applicants.
Hope this helps, PM me if you have more questions

Do you know the quotas for international students for Dentistry of each Universities? May I know which unis you applied to? Do you know anywhere I can go to for guidance in writing my personal statement? Also, how did you do so well for your ukcat?
Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by PikaNing
Do you know the quotas for international students for Dentistry of each Universities? May I know which unis you applied to? Do you know anywhere I can go to for guidance in writing my personal statement? Also, how did you do so well for your ukcat?
Thank you!

Im not too sure, but i think its around 3 international candidates per uni.
I applied to Dundee, newcastle, sheffield and cardiff. I phoned glasgow and they said they dont accept international students for 2015.
Your teacher should help you to correct your personal statement, but no one will write it for you.
I had full marks from the math component of the UKCAT (im chinese haha). Just do some online practice, if u have the money, go for a kaplan course (pretty useless, but it makes people less nervous)

Quick Reply

Latest