The Student Room Group

Is Dentistry an option for me?

I sat my gcses last year in 2023, where I achieved the grades: 8887766D*2
English Lang- 8, English Lit- 7, Maths- 6

I then chose to retake my Maths GCSE in November of the same year, I got a 7.

At A- Level I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

A lot of people have said that dentistry requires top GCSE grades, and some universitys expect atleast 5 GCSES at grade 7-9, I'm unsure whether they'd even acknowledge a BTEC (Distinction* Level 2 for Music)

I've always said I'd either wanted to do Medicine or Dentistry, but Dentistry has always been so appealing to me and I'm trying to find work experience placements as of right now and unsure whether I should even bother asking dental practices.

If anyone's has any advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 7ustna

A lot of people have said that dentistry requires top GCSE grades, and some universitys expect atleast 5 GCSES at grade 7-9, I'm unsure whether they'd even acknowledge a BTEC (Distinction* Level 2 for Music)

I've always said I'd either wanted to do Medicine or Dentistry, but Dentistry has always been so appealing to me and I'm trying to find work experience placements as of right now and unsure whether I should even bother asking dental practices.

P.S I did Combined Science- I got a 88
Reply 2
Original post by 7ustna

I don't know about dentistry but certainly for medicine many unis do want a certain amount of top GCSE grades and sometimes a minimum number of GCSEs. I would recommend having a dig around at the admissions requirements on uni websites - they usually have course specific requirements clearly stated on the course page which should give you a clearer idea of what they expect.

As far as work experience is concerned, ask around everywhere. Even if you don't think they're likely to give you a placement it doesn't hurt to try. It's likely that you're gonna have to ask quite a few places before you find somewhere that you can do a placement so the more places you ask the more likely you are to find something.

Quick Reply

Latest