The Student Room Group

UTI every time?

Is it normal to get UTI's literally after every single time you have sex :s-smilie: we're both hygenic and I've been remembering to wee after sex but doesn't seem to be working?
Well, it's not as uncommon as it should be - it happens to at least one friend.

Have you spoken to your GP / a sexual health clinic about it? Do you know what sorts of sex cause it and which don't?
Reply 2
Are you sure that you have one that you just haven't shifted? It may feel like it has gone, especially if you are put on antibiotics, but in fact it hasn't (been through this myself). I'd contact your GP about it and get it looked into as they are horrible to have. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water every day, and maybe look into taking cranberry tablets or similar too? Though obviously it is wise to discuss that with your GP first. :smile:
Reply 3
Its common for girls, I don't know if its normal but it's certainly common. I seem to get an UTI most times after having sex. I don't get them as much as I used to but it can still be a nuisance. I find going for a bath or shower after sex and using a feminine wash instead of shower gel down there helps and also drinking cranberry juice and water for a few days helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You might have a recurring UTI which doesn't seem to be clearing up.

Last term, I spent 2 months having a UTI every couple of weeks, I don't know why I suddenly got one, because it wasn't the first time that I'd had sex.
However after a few courses of antibiotics and the Christmas holidays, I haven't had a UTI since. *touchwood*

Coincidentally, it was the same case with my best friend. She had UTI's on and off for a couple of months until January.

Anyway, all I can suggest is go to the GP and get some antibiotics for about up to 7 days until the bacteria are really gone, otherwise the infection will just keep recurring.

Try being really stringent with your hygiene before and after sex, making sure you both have clean hands beforehand, and take a shower/wash yourself afterwards.

Also, drink lots of water and cranberry juice as this helps prevent the bacteria settling in your urinary system.

The GP told me that some girls will simply get a UTI everytime they have sex, and in this case, the GP gives you a tiny does of antibiotics to take after every time you have sex.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal to get UTI's literally after every single time you have sex :s-smilie: we're both hygenic and I've been remembering to wee after sex but doesn't seem to be working?

Yes. So do I.
interstitial cystitis? best to go see a GP in case its a condition that needs treatment
Reply 7
Following link is a guide I wrote on it a few years ago. People have fiddled with it since :rolleyes: but it essentially still contains the key preventive measures I found to be effective. Not mentioned is a natural remedy called waterfall d manose, which is also found to be very effective.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cystitis
Reply 8
Happens, but shouldn't be every time. I would get a bit of advice from GP.
It used to happen to me too, had to go to the doctor so much to get antibiotics it was awful! I find that peeing before and after sex, showering afte,r and drinking lots of water and crandberry juice helps loads. I also take cranberry supplements too which I think help it, I don't get UTI's anymore :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Feel your pain, it happens to me ALL the TIME.

After sex, try peeing, and wiping with a hygienic wipe, and then taking a drink of water so you'll pee again soon after. I know it's a bit of a hassle though, usually I just want to sleep.

Also a couple of things could be making you more prone. Sometimes it's something you can't change, like that your urethra might be shorter than other people's. Or, it could be to do with hair removal - if you're bare down there or have little hair you're much more prone to infection. You're also more prone if you ever do anything related to anal [sorry, no judgement, but it's true as that's where the bacteria comes from which causes the infection].

Apparently in some cases you can have the antibiotics on standby so all you need do is phone up your GP, without having to get an appointment every time. Also sometimes your GP can give you preventative antibiotics if they think you need them. I'd recommend also having some of those sachets you mix with water to neutralise the pain handy.

Quick Reply

Latest