The Student Room Group

Can I stop wearing my retainers full time yet?

My orthadontist told me I'd have to wear them all day and all night for a year, and then I'd only have to wear them each night from then on. My friends have told me they only had them on for a month or two full time and then just put them on in the nights and they were fine despite going against what their orthadontist said aswell.

I had them out in on the 18th July, could I stop wearing them in the day times now?
Reply 1
Original post by Miracle Day
My orthadontist told me I'd have to wear them all day and all night for a year, and then I'd only have to wear them each night from then on. My friends have told me they only had them on for a month or two full time and then just put them on in the nights and they were fine despite going against what their orthadontist said aswell.

I had them out in on the 18th July, could I stop wearing them in the day times now?

I'd say the best person to ask is your orthodontist because everyone's teeth, teeth alignment and retainers are different so orthodontists are going to say different things to different people depending on those different, individual factors.
Reply 2
I was told to wear mine every day, all day + nights for sixth months. And then after that i could wear it only at night. The first day, i wore it all day. The second day, i wore it until lunch but then though ***k this and took it out and from then on only wore it at night. Now, 3 months later, i only wear it every other night. my teeth are still perfect I think that the orthodontists tell you to wear it much more then you actually need to because they know no one listens. If they said from the beginning, oh, only wear it ever other night, people like me would probably wear it once or twice a week at night! But all in honesty, my sister did the exact same thing as me and our teeth are still perfect! just make sure you don't leave it longer then every other night, otherwise it will feel tight when you put the retainer back it (nothing bad, just a little uncomfortable). So don't worry, wear them just at night!!! You will be TOTALLY fine. If you wear your retainer every single night, there is no way whatsoever that they could possibly move.
Original post by Miracle Day

Seriously, I'm an expert at not listening to the Orthodontists.
Do exactly as your orthodontist says, put them on when they tell you to.
Your mates can do whatever they want, in the end, it's their teeth, and if they want to ruin the chances of having nice teeth, its there problem :P
I listened to my mates and took my retainers out, I ended up having to restart the treatment all over again[partially paying, NOT FUN]><
And if your orthodontist realises that you haven't been wearing them as often as you possibly can, they can actually refuse you treatment ><

But, in the end, up to you :P
Reply 4
Original post by nataliekwong
Your mates can do whatever they want, in the end, it's their teeth, and if they want to ruin the chances of having nice teeth, its there problem :P
I listened to my mates and took my retainers out, I ended up having to restart the treatment all over again[partially paying, NOT FUN]><
And if your orthodontist realises that you haven't been wearing them as often as you possibly can, they can actually refuse you treatment ><

I totally disagree. First, your orthodontist CANNOT refuse you treatment if you are not doing what they tell you, unless you got your braces for free because your teeth were so bad. But by the time you get your retainers, you don't exactly need any more treatment. The above poster is suggesting that if you only wear your retainer at night, you will ruin your chances of having nice teeth. This is not true, AT ALL! Yes, your teeth will likely shift very slightly during the day if you don't have them in-but i'm talking so small that it is impossible to notice. And then at night, any of the marginal movement that occurred will go back to normal during the night-because that is what your retainer is for! There is absolutely no possible way your teeth will go back to how they used to be if you wear them every single night, it is literally just impossible. But, if you really are worried, take them out before school, and put them back on again the minute you get in. My orthodontist said that if we were worried about losing our retainers at school when we took them out to eat, that would be totally fine. The only situation where your orthodontist will notice you are not wearing your retainer is if you wear it at night like three times a week.
Original post by jcholzz
I totally disagree. First, your orthodontist CANNOT refuse you treatment if you are not doing what they tell you, unless you got your braces for free because your teeth were so bad. But by the time you get your retainers, you don't exactly need any more treatment. The above poster is suggesting that if you only wear your retainer at night, you will ruin your chances of having nice teeth. This is not true, AT ALL! Yes, your teeth will likely shift very slightly during the day if you don't have them in-but i'm talking so small that it is impossible to notice. And then at night, any of the marginal movement that occurred will go back to normal during the night-because that is what your retainer is for! There is absolutely no possible way your teeth will go back to how they used to be if you wear them every single night, it is literally just impossible. But, if you really are worried, take them out before school, and put them back on again the minute you get in. My orthodontist said that if we were worried about losing our retainers at school when we took them out to eat, that would be totally fine. The only situation where your orthodontist will notice you are not wearing your retainer is if you wear it at night like three times a week.

No, if you go with the NHS, and you don't actually listen to what they are telling you to do, they can refuse you treatment..
Yeah but all the same,
If you spend 2-3 years wearing braces, wouldn't you just want that chance that your teeth will stay perfect?
Reply 6
Listen to the orthodontist. Everyone's teeth are different. I had to wear mine for a month whereas my friends only had to wear theirs for a week. The more likely they are to move quickly the longer time period they'll give you.
Reply 7
I was told to wear mine all the time for a year, ended up wearing them all the time for about 6 months then I couldn't be bothered with the hassle so only wore them at night. My teeth did move slightly but it was still a vast improvement on what they were like before braces.

Your orthadontist knows best but retainers are a right pain in the arse and I certainly don't regret not following his advice...
noooooooooooooooooo please don't. You'll regret it. Wear them as much as you possibly can, I speak from experience.
Do what the orthodontist says, especially if you receive treatment off the NHS. Although having them out twice a month for eating at a restaurant or going out won't do much harm, don't have them out longer than that. You'll be thankful you listened to the orthodontists in a few years time!! :smile:
I never even wore mine in the days! I wore them every day on the night for almost a year, then every other night, then once every couple of weeks...
They don't fit any more, and yeah, my teeth have moved, but not too much and they only moved a tiny bit. All in all glad I stopped wearing them and my teeth look like normal people teeth, so. Just depends how stupid your teeth looked before really!
I lost the retainers for my top set. I was advised to wear them all the time for 6 mo this and it’s only been 3 months. Should I be worried of my teeth shifting back?
Original post by nataliekwong

Wearing them every night after getting them immediately should be ok right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending