The Student Room Group

What to buy for Graduate Medicine?

Hi there,

I have been offered a place to study GEM at Leicester Uni. Obviously this is a massive financial undertaking so I am hoping to get most essentials either for my birthday or for very cheap e.g. Ebay etc!

What do I definitely need to buy before the start of the course?!
Reply 1
Original post by CharlottexBelle
Hi there,

I have been offered a place to study GEM at Leicester Uni. Obviously this is a massive financial undertaking so I am hoping to get most essentials either for my birthday or for very cheap e.g. Ebay etc!

What do I definitely need to buy before the start of the course?!

I've been warned, several times, against buying anything specific beforehand. Stethoscopes end up being on offer around the time you start and with respect to books, you won't know what you suit until you've had the chance to try them a bit.
Other than that I suppose it'll be the same as any other course though, stationery etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Birthdays and Ebay still exist after you arrive! I would wait - just get stuff that you need to live and study as you normally would, with perhaps a slight emphasis on smarter clothes (though dependent on your background maybe not even that).
I agree with the above two posters. Definitely wait until term starts. Depending on how early patient contact is introduced and its frequency, maybe an extra smart shirt/blouse or two +/- shoes.
There's nothing specific to GEM that you need.
Check with your uni, sometimes they have a list available of things it's useful to have - we were told to get a Littmann Classic SE II stethoscope, a pocket mask and a lab coat. It's also helpful to have clothes on hand that can be used for clinical dress (smart,shoes with no heels, bare arms up to elbows). They will probably also have a list of textbooks, but don't bother buying any until you know whether you can get it out of the library easily, or access online; and how much you are going to use it. Some lecturers have preferred texts which you may end up using all the time, other books on the list may just be useful occasionally for double-checking something. You'll probably need lots of notebooks/paper and files unless you like working solely from a laptop. Plenty of pens and pencils etc is a safe bet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending