The Student Room Group

Should I apply for Medicine or stay with my current path?

So I'm a Y12 (going into Y13) student. For the last year or so, I've been set on doing Natural Sciences at uni, and so have done things to prepare for that. However, in the past few weeks, I have had a strong desire to study medicine instead. Today I did a practice UCAT (as I assumed I was going to do bad and could leave it at that) but I ended up getting 3030 B2, which my friends say is a good score.

Some things that will help -

- I do have work experience (I have been volunteering in an Oncology ward for about 10 months).
- I haven't really got anything else for a personal statement apart from that.
- I haven't revised for the UCAT or BMAT.

Is it worth my applying to medicine or would it be better for me to do Natural Sciences and doing a graduate course if I wanted to apply to medicine?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tastierspoon460
So I'm a Y12 (going into Y13) student. For the last year or so, I've been set on doing Natural Sciences at uni, and so have done things to prepare for that. However, in the past few weeks, I have had a strong desire to study medicine instead. Today I did a practice UCAT (as I assumed I was going to do bad and could leave it at that) but I ended up getting 3030 B2, which my friends say is a good score.

Some things that will help -

- I do have work experience (I have been volunteering in an Oncology ward for about 10 months).
- I haven't really got anything else for a personal statement apart from that.
- I haven't revised for the UCAT or BMAT.

Is it worth my applying to medicine or would it be better for me to do Natural Sciences and doing a graduate course if I wanted to apply to medicine?

Thanks! :smile:

If you want to be a doctor apply for medicine now.Graduate medicine is even more obscenely competitive than UG Medicine.Natural Sciences is fine if you want to go into academia but it is very competitive and pay is relatively poor in many areas.
Reply 2
My advice to you would be to take a gap year (if you’re up for it) to decide whether or not it is medicine that you’d like to apply for or natural sciences. It’ll save you a lot of money in the long run if you end up applying for natural sciences now and then going on to applying graduate entry medicine
Reply 3
Original post by NicolaMS
My advice to you would be to take a gap year (if you’re up for it) to decide whether or not it is medicine that you’d like to apply for or natural sciences. It’ll save you a lot of money in the long run if you end up applying for natural sciences now and then going on to applying graduate entry medicine

This is also a good option.Better to delay and get your degree choice right than act in haste.
Reply 4
You could also buy time and keep your options open by sitting the UCAT this summer. If you got 3000+ without revision then you should be ok.

That way you can think about what you want to do in October. And decide how you feel. Then if meds not for you then apply for naturql science in Jan. And if you get to Jan and Nat science isnt for you then you have a UCAT just in case anything pops up in extra or clearing. And then apply next year after you have resat your UCAT for next year. I appreciate there is a cost to this. But if you dont plan on doing it now then your choices will be taken away from you. And its summer holidays so you you may have a bit of free time.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by GGIN
You could also buy time and keep your options open by sitting the UCAT this summer. If you got 3000+ without revision then you should be ok.

That way you can think about what you want to do in October. And decide how you feel. Then if meds not for you then apply for naturql science in Jan. And if you get to Jan and Nat science isnt for you then you have a UCAT just in case anything pops up in extra or clearing. And then apply next year after you have resat your UCAT for next year. I appreciate there is a cost to this. But if you dont plan on doing it now then your choices will be taken away from you. And its summer holidays so you you may have a bit of free time.

The other thing I would add is think carefully about where you want your natural science degree to take you. If its to medicine eventually then i would say do med first not aim for grad med if you know it now. If its something else and its specific look at career options from nat sciences alone. What can you do, whatts the progression whats the competition etc.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending