The Student Room Group

Is it bad to want expensive things

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria1812
Hello I really like expensive stuff for example I really like designer not nike or adidas I mean like Dior and luxury. I don't buy it as my mum can't afford it but is this bad I want to be a good person so if I am older I feel like I should not buy expensive things but I love designer I mean I don't like clarks and affordable school shoes i really want geox or ecco but I would feel bad asking my mum but I feel bad not being able to wear the shoes I like. I always believe that expensive things are always better I hate polyester I love cashmere I know I sound a brat I don't have luxurious items I liek them because they look so lovely when you look in a nike store its ok but when you look in a Burberry or a prada shop its amazing. I really like these items not to show off or be popular but they look very nice. I am a Catholic my grandma always tells me be modest I always wear long skirts but can I dress modest cover up but wear expensive clothing or is it bad and should we donate most our money to charity and help others is it our duty to look after others.

So my question is so is it ok to want expensive things?

Its ok to like nice things, although obviously there are more important things in life than material possessions.

However expensive things and nice things are not the same thing at all. Its up to you to figure out how to tell the difference.
Reply 21
Original post by RibenaRockstar
You seem to be assuming that you have to spend a lot to get that, and that price and quality are positively correlated.

I have plenty of 100% cotton (often organic, too!) tops from H&M, and I buy my cashmere from Uniqlo for a very reasonable price.

Everytime I buy from H M the clothing is uncomftorable the trousers too high and just bad it is. But when i purchase expensive jeans Helmut lang they are so comftorable i often have bad experience with cheepers stores as the clothing is often not comftorable
Original post by CrapDunGoofed
it's haram

Lots of things are haram. Don't use the Internet as well -- too many haram things here.
Hello I really like expensive stuff for example I really like designer not nike or adidas I mean like Dior and luxury. I don't buy it as my mum can't afford it but is this bad I want to be a good person so if I am older I feel like I should not buy expensive things but I love designer I mean I don't like clarks and affordable school shoes i really want geox or ecco but I would feel bad asking my mum but I feel bad not being able to wear the shoes I like. I always believe that expensive things are always better I hate polyester I love cashmere I know I sound a brat I don't have luxurious items I liek them because they look so lovely when you look in a nike store its ok but when you look in a Burberry or a prada shop its amazing. I really like these items not to show off or be popular but they look very nice. I am a Catholic my grandma always tells me be modest I always wear long skirts but can I dress modest cover up but wear expensive clothing or is it bad and should we donate most our money to charity and help others is it our duty to look after others.

Definitely not bad in the moral sense, but it's just unlucky for you that what you like is more expensive.

I'm lucky in that I actually prefer nike and cheap sporty items to the fancier more expensive items, and thus I can save more of my money away to use on non-perishable goods.

Being a gold digger works out nicely.
No. :s-smilie:

SIGH, there's a couple of dresses and a pair of heels I really want but they're so expensive :emo:
Reply 26

Hello,
If you want expensive things then you have to earn it on your own, if you are demanding from your parents, as you said they can't afford; so you sound like fool to me.
Reply 27

Perfectly ok to want expensive things. DM me and I'll show you how!
Yeah, it's okay. You will not be arrested if you buy the expensive. But do you need to buy them? You can't live without them?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, and especially in your case, it's perfectly normal. I think it's easy for anybody to want something more if they know they cannot have it.

When I was younger, I wanted all sorts of expensive stuff like custom Nike shoes, customised guitars, tailored leather jackets, etc. but now I actually have the money to buy all these, I'm like, nahhhh.... I'm going for some Domino's....
At least it's very unpractical.

Quick Reply

Latest