The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How long is a piece of string is the cheesy (but accurate) answer to this!

For my Constitutional coursework I'm not exaggerating where I say I have pulled over 30 Journal articles from Westlaw (I find Westlaw by far the best database for Journal Articles)... But my question requires me to discuss a matter with reference and regard to the changes effected thorough thre CRA 2005... few if any textbooks have adequately addressed this thereofre Journals are pretty much THE source of authority... As a rule of thumb I've been recommended to try to aim for ONE authority for every 100 WORDS or so... - as it happens, I'm comfortably set to exceed this... but in terms of how much Journal research and reaidng you need to do - there isn't an off the cuff answer.
Reply 2
Ok that is alot. I was thinking of reading around 4 for my 2000 word piece. That seems like alot. :frown:
Reply 3
Wait a second, does that mean one different authority or just one authority?i.e. could you use the same one twice?
You can use the same one numerous times... of the 30 or so I've read I suspect I'll be using less than half of them as contribution towards my work - and some of them (4 in particular) will be used as "core" - i.e. there are numerous references in them that are highly relevant.

The thing to remember (we have been told) is to look for something original - give the assignment a personal slant - critique the references in a manner that doesn't simply follow the oft-quoted reasoning - don't be afraid to wander off the beaten track if you can find something to justify your argument. That, I am told, is the difference between high 60's and breaking into the 70's... originality of thought.
Reply 5
Ok thanks! Originality of thought is something that comes with me wherever i go but I'm not sure if thats a gd thing :p:
You'll find alot of articles saying the same things in different words.
Reply 7
For my contract coursework last year I used my textbook, a casebook, another textbook from the library and about 5 articles. I got 75. Also in my public and criminal coursework I used a similar [less for criminal] number of sources and got high 60's. Many of my friends got lower marks and were criticised for having cited far too many books and articles unnecessarily.

You don't need too many articles etc, just make sure you use the right ones.
That's the thing... if you cite from too many authorities your essay can turn into a ramble. Keeping it on the right track is the key.
Reply 9
But whatever you do - DON'T PLAGIARISE! If you are going to include ideas from any articles, books you have consulted, make sure that you include a full reference. If you take passages word-for-word, enclose this in quotation marks AND give a full reference at the end of the quotation. Being found guilty of plagiarism can wreck your degree, and also be a serious obstacle to a career in the law - any instances of plagiarism need to be disclosed on some application forms, for example.
Reply 10
I'm worried about plagiarism. The thing is, any knowlege we have on a subject has either been taught to us in lectures (and that's based one the textbook) a textbook/journal. So for example, when explaining parliamentary sovereignty, what I know on the subject I have learned from the textbook. So if I also have to write a reference for things like that, my whole essay is just going to be a mound of footnotes!
Haha, you don't have to reference where every single thought in your essay came from... plagiarism effectively involves just putting it down just word for word. You should reference the book at key points, but there is no fear to be guilty of plagiarism for this...
As I understand it - if the textbook is concerned with "general principles" that have evolved and are universally accepted and explained by all textbooks - then explaining the general priniciples in TOTALLY YOUR OWN WORDS is NOT plagiarism. If you're discussing a particular theory or idea that you've read in a particular textbook, or a particular slant on a general principle form a textbook, then you MUST reference it - for example you're discussing WHAT CONSTITUTES A CONTRACT - most textbook wirters have their own slant on it - you couldn't pass off Atiyah's explanation as your own.

If you're discussing postal rules - then the postal rules are "the postal rules" - they have evolved into a general priciple and all textbooks would describe those general principles the same way. When you're critiquing the postal rules and you're discussing a particular academic's opinion then, obviously, you reference their analysis.

I don't think the plagairsm issue is as daunting as it sounds - it's pretty much common sense.
Reply 13
That's a good way of explaining it. Also, for law essays and problem answers, don't forget that there is a hierarchy of authorities. For points of law, refer to primary sources - i.e., cases and statutes, and not the textbooks (but don't cite a Statute book as authority). Some essays on law lack one important ingredient - law. Use secondary sources as authority for comment/critical evaluation/particular theories etc.
Lol, people actually cite a statute book rather than just the statute... amazing what some supposedly bright law undergrads come up with.
Reply 15
And that's only the start!
Do tell, I love these things...

our contract professor wrote in the feedback:

"a lack of a classical education does not excuse "lassa fairez"", I swear he spends ages writing that every year, it was absolutely hilarious!
Sexygay
For my contract coursework last year I used my textbook, a casebook, another textbook from the library and about 5 articles. I got 75. Also in my public and criminal coursework I used a similar [less for criminal] number of sources and got high 60's. Many of my friends got lower marks and were criticised for having cited far too many books and articles unnecessarily.

You don't need too many articles etc, just make sure you use the right ones.

Exactly what I was going to write.
Concentrate of structure and content, and make sure you have at least 3-4 articles, but don't fret and think more articles = more marks. It's what you say about the articles that counts.

If you start rambling and looking for excuses to stick an articles in then you're going to go off the point and not be coherent.
I'd say read 50.
That's because you are clinically retarded and only seem to post to annoy people.

Latest

Trending

Trending