The Student Room Group

What does one achieve after passing 3 years of MPharm Pharmacy?

I know in the past that a person was awarded a BPharm Pharmacy after doing 3 years but does it still apply today? I heard that nowadays a person will be awarded a BSc Pharmaceutical Science after doing 3 years of MPharm Pharmacy. Is that true? Does BPharm Pharmacy = BSc Pharmaceutical Science? I'm asking because I told a person that they can do a PGCE in Chemistry after doing only 3 years of MPharm Pharmacy if they decide that they don't like the degree anymore and no longer want to continue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Any Pharmacy graduates or Pharmacy students out there?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
I know in the past that a person was awarded a BPharm Pharmacy after doing 3 years but does it still apply today? I heard that nowadays a person will be awarded a BSc Pharmaceutical Science after doing 3 years of MPharm Pharmacy. Is that true? Does BPharm Pharmacy = BSc Pharmaceutical Science? I'm asking because I told a person that they can do a PGCE in Chemistry after doing only 3 years of MPharm Pharmacy if they decide that they don't like the degree anymore and no longer want to continue.

The BPharm doesn't exist any more in the UK. It was the equivalent of the current MPharm before 2000. BPharm and MPharm allow you to practise as a pharmacist in the UK. BSc Pharmaceutical Science does not. You can leave the MPharm course after the 3rd year with a BSc Pharmaceutical Science; you cannot call yourself a pharmacist with this qualification though.

Not sure about the PGCE in Chemistry, but I don't see why not, seeing as it is a post-graduate certificate of education, i.e. you must have a relevant bachelor's degree to apply.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
The BPharm doesn't exist any more in the UK. It was the equivalent of the current MPharm before 2000.

I don't understand this because the BPharm is 3 years while MPharm is 4 years. Did the MPharm exist before 2000? I understand equivalent as in being qualified as a pharmacist but surely the Bachelors couldn't be the same as the Masters in that time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
I don't understand this because the BPharm is 3 years while MPharm is 4 years. Did the MPharm exist before 2000? I understand equivalent as in being qualified as a pharmacist but surely the Bachelors couldn't be the same as the Masters in that time.

What the godofgod said is right. The Bpharm stopped existing when it was switched to the MPharm. The only options are BSc Pharmaceutical Science or the MPharm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Freiheit
What the godofgod said is right. The Bpharm stopped existing when it was switched to the MPharm. The only options are BSc Pharmaceutical Science or the MPharm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lets say a university only offered BSc Pharmaceutical Science (Queen Mary for example). If a person went to that university and completed the 3 year BSc Pharmaceutical Science course can they continue straight into the 4th year of the MPharm Pharmacy course at another university to become a Pharmacist (King's for example)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
Lets say a university only offered BSc Pharmaceutical Science (Queen Mary for example). If a person went to that university and completed the 3 year BSc Pharmaceutical Science course can they continue straight into the 4th year of the MPharm Pharmacy course at another university to become a Pharmacist (King's for example)?

I forgot to mention that leaving the MPharm after year 3 gives you a BSc in Pharmaceutical Studies and not Pharmaceutical Science. That is very unlikley to work as most MPharm courses don't allow transfers especially after 2nd year. You also need to remember that different MPharm degrees cover content in different order/years. The only way to get around this would be to move from BSc Pharmaceutical Science to the MPharm at the same university because the courses should be aligned. Another thing to consider is there are Pharmacy Practice elements (dispensing/law and ethics) that are in the MPharm and unlilkey to be in the Bsc Pharm.sc but they are essential.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. Before 2000, the pharmacy degree was 3 years: either a BPharm (Batchelor of Pharmacy) or a BSc Pharmacy. Since 2000, another year has been added onto the course, (the 4th year is at Master's level) so now it is called MPharm (Master of Pharmacy). Both degrees allow you to practise as a pharmacist (pending pre-reg and other requirements), and are equivalent in terms of practising as a pharmacist. I suppose in terms of qualifications, the MPharm is higher, simply because the final year is a Master's level qualification. You must understand, however, that the MPharm is an undergraduate Master's degree, and as such, is not the equivalent of a postgraduate MSc degree. The MPharm did not exist before 2000.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. Before 2000, the pharmacy degree was 3 years: either a BPharm (Batchelor of Pharmacy) or a BSc Pharmacy. Since 2000, another year has been added onto the course, (the 4th year is at Master's level) so now it is called MPharm (Master of Pharmacy). Both degrees allow you to practise as a pharmacist (pending pre-reg and other requirements), and are equivalent in terms of practising as a pharmacist. I suppose in terms of qualifications, the MPharm is higher, simply because the final year is a Master's level qualification. You must understand, however, that the MPharm is an undergraduate Master's degree, and as such, is not the equivalent of a postgraduate MSc degree. The MPharm did not exist before 2000.

So if you do a undergrad master degree it is not equivalent to a Postgrad MSc?
Original post by elmosandy
So if you do a undergrad master degree it is not equivalent to a Postgrad MSc?

Nope, as one is an undergraduate qualification, whereas another is a postgraduate qualification.
Nope, as one is an undergraduate qualification, whereas another is a postgraduate qualification.

So if someone did a undergrad masters, would be have to do a MsC and then a PhD anyway?
So if someone did a undergrad masters, would be have to do a MsC and then a PhD anyway?

Well it depends on what you what to do afterwards, where you want to do it. If you want to just practise as a community pharmacist, the undergraduate degree would be fine. If you want to work as a lead pharmacist at a large teaching hospital, you would probably need a postgraduate qualification (and most likely a prescribing qualification). If you want to work as a researcher in the pharmaceutical industry, you would certainly need a doctorate.

But isn't the MPharm quite different than other integrated undergrad masters such as the Msci? I'd think you would need a post grad with an Msci but with an MPharm you dont.
Of course you have to develop professionally and increase your expertise esp in today's world of pharmacy but that could be done on the job no need to return to uni!?
Original post by Al-farhan
But isn't the MPharm quite different than other integrated undergrad masters such as the Msci? I'd think you would need a post grad with an Msci but with an MPharm you dont.
Of course you have to develop professionally and increase your expertise esp in today's world of pharmacy but that could be done on the job no need to return to uni!?

Well certain employers and specialties most certainly require you to have additional formal qualifications, be they pharmacy-related, e.g. non-medical prescribing, or management-related, e.g. MA/MSc Management.
Well it depends on what you what to do afterwards, where you want to do it. If you want to just practise as a community pharmacist, the undergraduate degree would be fine. If you want to work as a lead pharmacist at a large teaching hospital, you would probably need a postgraduate qualification (and most likely a prescribing qualification). If you want to work as a researcher in the pharmaceutical industry, you would certainly need a doctorate.

What about Biology MSci? would you have to do the Masters afterwards?
Pharmacy is an odd degree. Although it is a Masters it is still counted as an undergraduate degree. It is a Masters as MPharm stands for Master of Pharmacy. It could be that the first 3 years of Pharmacy is undergraduate as you attain a degree after completing 3 years. The final year of Pharmacy, which is Masters, is Postgraduate as you continue to study after attaining a degree and so Pharmacy can be considered Postgraduate.
What about Biology MSci? would you have to do the Masters afterwards?

No idea about that, sorry. I would presume not, since BSc Biology is an alternative option to the MSci, whereas there is no such option for Pharmacy any longer. It all depends on what you and/or your (prospective) employer(s) want in terms of qualifications.
Hey, if I completed the 3 year pharmaceutical science course would I be able to move on to doing the 1 year MPharm course? After completing my 3 year degree? Or would it not be possible to complete an extra year?
I just found out that I failed my final exam in my finaly year of Mpharm.
I can either redo the year or take an exit degree.

The exit degree is BSC (Hons) Pharmaceutical Science
Don't know if that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending