The Student Room Group

Should I "give up" on a course?

Hey,

Okay firstly, maybe "give up" was a bit of an exaggeration. Anyway, so I'm hoping to go to the Uni of Leeds in September. I'm doing the Access to Leeds programme, so the offer is actually pretty nice; BBB.
In AS I got BBBCD, which is nothing amazing, but decent I think. In a weird last minute panic, I dropped the subject I got a C in (History) and carried on the one I got a D in (Biology), so I'm carrying on BBB (English Literature, Politics, and Citizenship) and the D in Biology, as well as doing AS and A2 General Studies this year (I go to one of those sixth forms that forces everyone to do General Studies). So all in all, I'll be getting 5 A Level results this year.
For Politics, Uni of Leeds accept BOTH Citizenship and G.S. as part of the offer! Which is pretty nice.
Which brings me to my point, so I'm on a D in Biology (I missed out on a C by a couple of marks...) BUT I'm finding A2 Biology ridiculously difficult! There's no way I'm gonna get a B, I'm praying I scrape a C. So if I'm never going to get a B in it for it form part of my offer, should I neglect it a bit? But then I might end up getting like a D or E... which will stay with my for life? My Sixth Form say employers will check A Level results... so could that one bad A Level result in Biology (if I neglect it) go against me for the rest of my life, despite the rest of my A2 results being A's/B's? Or are my sixth form just massively over exaggerating?

So... what's your advice?
I'm sorry this has to turned into a massive ramble, sorry if it's hard to follow!
Thanks
Original post by Jordan_K
Hey,

Okay firstly, maybe "give up" was a bit of an exaggeration. Anyway, so I'm hoping to go to the Uni of Leeds in September. I'm doing the Access to Leeds programme, so the offer is actually pretty nice; BBB.
In AS I got BBBCD, which is nothing amazing, but decent I think. In a weird last minute panic, I dropped the subject I got a C in (History) and carried on the one I got a D in (Biology), so I'm carrying on BBB (English Literature, Politics, and Citizenship) and the D in Biology, as well as doing AS and A2 General Studies this year (I go to one of those sixth forms that forces everyone to do General Studies). So all in all, I'll be getting 5 A Level results this year.
For Politics, Uni of Leeds accept BOTH Citizenship and G.S. as part of the offer! Which is pretty nice.
Which brings me to my point, so I'm on a D in Biology (I missed out on a C by a couple of marks...) BUT I'm finding A2 Biology ridiculously difficult! There's no way I'm gonna get a B, I'm praying I scrape a C. So if I'm never going to get a B in it for it form part of my offer, should I neglect it a bit? But then I might end up getting like a D or E... which will stay with my for life? My Sixth Form say employers will check A Level results... so could that one bad A Level result in Biology (if I neglect it) go against me for the rest of my life, despite the rest of my A2 results being A's/B's? Or are my sixth form just massively over exaggerating?

I'm sorry this has to turned into a massive ramble, sorry if it's hard to follow!
Thanks

Is there a reason you're essentially doing 5 A-levels? That is a lot more than usual, and it might mean you're not performing at your full potential. I think your college have given you pretty bad advise encouraging you to carry on with so many subjects. In your shoes, getting BBB is the most important thing, so focus on achieving this.

Employers can check your A-level results- they may ask to see exam certificates. However, a D in a subject unrelated to the job isn't going to put them off you. Also, the further along in life you get, the less people care about your exam results, and the more they care about your work experience.

If you're really struggling with biology, have you considered withdrawing from the exam?
Hey,

Thanks

I really don't understand schools giving advice like this. other than Oxbridge and a couple of others 3 a levels is all any uni asks for. quite why they advise people to do more is clearly more for their reputation than in the pupils best interest. 3 a levels and getting your best grades in them is far better for you than spreading your time over more subjects
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Is there a reason you're essentially doing 5 A-levels? That is a lot more than usual, and it might mean you're not performing at your full potential. I think your college have given you pretty bad advise encouraging you to carry on with so many subjects. In your shoes, getting BBB is the most important thing, so focus on achieving this.

Employers can check your A-level results- they may ask to see exam certificates. However, a D in a subject unrelated to the job isn't going to put them off you. Also, the further along in life you get, the less people care about your exam results, and the more they care about your work experience.

If you're really struggling with biology, have you considered withdrawing from the exam?

Well, I have my 3 standard A Levels (Biology, Politics, & English) and then Citizenship is only one lesson a week, it's basically a cheat A Level because a lot of the content I already know from AS Politics. And then of course General Studies doesn't have any lessons.
I did ask them if I could drop Biology AND History for A2, and they said nope, one or the other, because "you wouldn't have enough hours on your timetable", a stupid reason I know... but it's not that bad really.
At this point in the year, I might as well do the Biology exams, we've finished all the course content now, so.
Thanks for your information on job prospects! That's good to know. And yes you're right, the most important thing is BBB. I guess I'll still put effort into Biology, but not go crazy or anything.
Thanks for your help!
Well, I have my 3 standard A Levels (Biology, Politics, & English) and then Citizenship is only one lesson a week, it's basically a cheat A Level because a lot of the content I already know from AS Politics. And then of course General Studies doesn't have any lessons.
I did ask them if I could drop Biology AND History for A2, and they said nope, one or the other, because "you wouldn't have enough hours on your timetable", a stupid reason I know... but it's not that bad really.
At this point in the year, I might as well do the Biology exams, we've finished all the course content now, so.
Thanks for your information on job prospects! That's good to know. And yes you're right, the most important thing is BBB. I guess I'll still put effort into Biology, but not go crazy or anything.
Thanks for your help!

If it helps at all, I have a D in Maths alongside three other good A-levels, and it's not caused me any problems, either getting into uni or getting work :smile:
IF you do decide to drop biology you should ask Leeds beforehand and then formally tell them and UCAS once you have dropped the subject. Leeds have the right to change or withdraw your offer if you drop a subject even if it's not a condition of your offer. I'm not saying they will but it's a possibility you should be aware of. Also, graduate jobs who want three A Levels *might* not recognise citizenship and general studies in their count (I've not looked into this because it wouldn't have affected me) so you *could* find yourself stuffed in a few years time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending