The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pub.

Anything more 'romantic' is quite possibly going to scare the living **** out of her. Second and third date, feel free to be romantic, but to be honest, first dates are more about 'is this person a complete weirdo or not', than being romantic, in my experience.

Now, having said that, make it a nice pub. Probably more of a 'bar' really. Something that's a little different, where she won't normally go. So that meant no Spoons, Yates', etc., etc., etc. Also, no grotty locals - we want it to be a little romantic after all...
Reply 21
alasdair_R
Pub.

Anything more 'romantic' is quite possibly going to scare the living **** out of her. Second and third date, feel free to be romantic, but to be honest, first dates are more about 'is this person a complete weirdo or not', than being romantic, in my experience.

Now, having said that, make it a nice pub. Probably more of a 'bar' really. Something that's a little different, where she won't normally go. So that meant no Spoons, Yates', etc., etc., etc. Also, no grotty locals - we want it to be a little romantic after all...

I agree, but then I'm that kinda girl who likes pubs/bars (no, not a ladette). If a guy took me ice skating, I wouldn't go on the date for these reasons:
1. He would obviously have a gay OR chav streak
2. I can't stand up when ice skating so it would be more embaressing than "funny."
3. It's usually all little kids there which kinda takes away the romantic/sophisticated aspect
Reply 22
aw no spoons? spoons is wicked :biggrin:
Reply 23
34 person
I agree, but then I'm that kinda girl who likes pubs/bars (no, not a ladette). If a guy took me ice skating, I wouldn't go on the date for these reasons:
1. He would obviously have a gay OR chav streak
2. I can't stand up when ice skating so it would be more embaressing than "funny."
3. It's usually all little kids there which kinda takes away the romantic/sophisticated aspect

You're 17...do you even get let in to bars?

But I agree - embarrassing a girl maybe romantic in a crappy romcom, but in real life, less so...
Reply 24
What's wrong with a moonlit walk, preceded by a pint of whatever you fancy (beverage-wise) at the 'local'?

That is, unless you're conversationally inept; in which case, any amount of wining and dining will be simply tantamount to deferring the inevitable revelation of your mutual incompatibility.
Reply 25
alasdair_R
You're 17...do you even get let in to bars?

But I agree - embarrassing a girl maybe romantic in a crappy romcom, but in real life, less so...

I can get into some bars.....and pubs are pretty easy to get served in - so ya know, no problemo. But obvously, I have to make more of an effort to make myself look that bit older.
Reply 26
34 person
I can get into some bars.....and pubs are pretty easy to get served in - so ya know, no problemo. But obvously, I have to make more of an effort to make myself look that bit older.

Ah, the old low-cut top, short skirt caper :p:

Reminds me of having to act as the 'boyfriend' to my sister's friends until she turned 18...

(Just as a quick side note before everybody thinks I'm some kind of old man, I'm only 21)
Reply 27
alasdair_R
Ah, the old low-cut top, short skirt caper :p:

Reminds me of having to act as the 'boyfriend' to my sister's friends until she turned 18...

(Just as a quick side note before everybody thinks I'm some kind of old man, I'm only 21)

Nu uh - the tight jeans, boots, and low cut top :smile:
I found the easiest one, well for me

A night in the pub is the best, BECAUSE, you actually get to talk (not like a move or a gig), you get to know each other see if you really can work, have a few drinks and loosen up.

Its a great time, cos you learn alot about them and do get to know what each other is like as if you were dating.

Then afterwards anything like a walk through a park will finish a decent night not takeaway in the chinese shop like I did
Reply 29
34 person
Nu uh - the tight jeans, boots, and low cut top :smile:

Is that what the kids are wearing these days? :p:
Reply 30
If you haven't missed the chance already, I think it would be really sweet if you took her to see some Christmas lights get switched on :smile: (but only if she liked kids cause they're everywhere!), and then, like everyone else says, take her for a drink.
Reply 31
Thorpe Park / Alton Towers - whichever you live closer to : )

Bundles of fun.

What do the ladies think of that?
Reply 32
Zinck

Bundles of fun.

For a first date?!
Reply 33
Zinck

Bundles of fun.

Nah, not for a first date! She could well not be fond of rollercoasters, and how embarrassing if one of you spewed after :s-smilie: .
if there is a fair/theme park in the area, I don't see why not. I've noticed a few couples at gigs in the past, I doubt they were on first dates but if your tatse in music has already been established and it's not a great inconvenience to attend a gig then thats not a bad idea IMO
Reply 35
Holly-AT
Nah, not for a first date! She could well not be fond of rollercoasters, and how embarrassing if one of you spewed after :s-smilie: .

Not to mention they're expensive, usually in the middle of nowhere, and offer no escape.

Not to mention, it's the full light of day! A drink in the evening is far better...
The Blue Man Group!!! I've just got back from them, and they are seriously freaking awesome. Loads of audience interaction from the start (eg. the whole audience had to swear the "I will not take pictures or film the show until after it has finished" before the show :biggrin: - that was just the start!), and you get covered in toilet-paper at the end! What's not to love?

It's not like normal theatre... you'll find yourself conversing with your partner ("What the hell is that thing? Is that jelly??? Or some kind of sausage?). C'mon, a show where you have an audience member strung up upside down, daubted generously in blue paint, and swung against a canvas in order to create a piece of art, is great for a date! Mainly because you'll be laughing so much that it really loosens you both up. Then, a drink or two afterwards = perfect. :smile:
Reply 37
Crimson Black
The Blue Man Group!!! I've just got back from them, and they are seriously freaking awesome. Loads of audience interaction from the start (eg. the whole audience had to swear the "I will not take pictures or film the show until after it has finished" before the show :biggrin: - that was just the start!), and you get covered in toilet-paper at the end! What's not to love?

It's not like normal theatre... you'll find yourself conversing with your partner ("What the hell is that thing? Is that jelly??? Or some kind of sausage?). C'mon, a show where you have an audience member strung up upside down, daubted generously in blue paint, and swung against a canvas in order to create a piece of art, is great for a date! Mainly because you'll be laughing so much that it really loosens you both up. Then, a drink or two afterwards = perfect. :smile:

If it's anything like stand-up, then the same rule applies:

Never, EVER take a girl to stand-up. Especially not on a first date. It's just a recipe for embarrassing disaster. Just don't do it. Can't emphasis that enough.
alasdair_R
If it's anything like stand-up, then the same rule applies:

Never, EVER take a girl to stand-up. Especially not on a first date. It's just a recipe for embarrassing disaster. Just don't do it. Can't emphasis that enough.

I disagree. Maybe not stand up comedy, but the BMG are great, and laughter really bonds people. It's very fun and very funny. That's my ideal date - formal dinners and romantic films can come later.
Reply 39
Crimson Black
I disagree. Maybe not stand up comedy, but the BMG are great, and laughter really bonds people. It's very fun and very funny. That's my ideal date - formal dinners and romantic films can come later.

I'm sure BMG are cool, I was just saying standup on a first date's an awful idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending