The Student Room Group

What to expect/ take in your induction week at University?

Hello,

As my induction week is in 3 weeks, I was hoping you all could tell me what I must take with me to induction week and my first day at university once I start uni and what I need to expect for my induction week and the first day of uni. I know and take ideas and know the place better. Anything regarding ideas and suggestions for induction week is the first day of uni. Please let me know.
Original post by Amna Rashad
Hello,

As my induction week is in 3 weeks, I was hoping you all could tell me what I must take with me to induction week and my first day at university once I start uni and what I need to expect for my induction week and the first day of uni. I know and take ideas and know the place better. Anything regarding ideas and suggestions for induction week is the first day of uni. Please let me know.

Induction week tend to just give you an idea of what's the uni and course is about.
If you need to study material before doing the degree, you might be required to do a test or go through some material. None of which should really stretch you that much.

I would bring some pen and paper just in case, but chances are you don't need to bring anything (more likely you would be handed things).

If you want ideas to do during your first week at uni, consider:

Getting to know as many of your classmates as you can

Explore the surrounding area/campus

Explore the surrounding city/town, especially with students who aren't from the area if your uni is local to you

Find out which societies and clubs that you want to be members of - you want to limit yourself to just 2

Once you become a member of the relevant societies and clubs, make as many friends in them as you can

Look online for internships and work experiences related to what you want to do after graduation

Attend career fairs

Get the textbooks that you need - ideally second hand where appropriate

Pick up the skills that would really help with uni: touch typing, speed reading, learning Microsoft Office, and learning how to write academically

Read through your unit outlines and take careful note of: suggested reading, deadlines, assignment titles (if mentioned)

Get the decors you want for your room (if applicable)

Get NUS discount cards - if you spend a lot

Reply 2
Okay, thank you for that! Also, when do we get to see/have our timetables so we know how many days are we in uni? Anything else please let me know.
Original post by MindMax2000
Induction week tend to just give you an idea of what's the uni and course is about.
If you need to study material before doing the degree, you might be required to do a test or go through some material. None of which should really stretch you that much.

I would bring some pen and paper just in case, but chances are you don't need to bring anything (more likely you would be handed things).

If you want ideas to do during your first week at uni, consider:

Getting to know as many of your classmates as you can

Explore the surrounding area/campus

Explore the surrounding city/town, especially with students who aren't from the area if your uni is local to you

Find out which societies and clubs that you want to be members of - you want to limit yourself to just 2

Once you become a member of the relevant societies and clubs, make as many friends in them as you can

Look online for internships and work experiences related to what you want to do after graduation

Attend career fairs

Get the textbooks that you need - ideally second hand where appropriate

Pick up the skills that would really help with uni: touch typing, speed reading, learning Microsoft Office, and learning how to write academically

Read through your unit outlines and take careful note of: suggested reading, deadlines, assignment titles (if mentioned)

Get the decors you want for your room (if applicable)

Get NUS discount cards - if you spend a lot

Original post by Amna Rashad
Okay, thank you for that! Also, when do we get to see/have our timetables so we know how many days are we in uni? Anything else please let me know.

This would depend on the individual uni. They should give you a timetable in the first week (it would have been the most logical time to do this), so you won't miss the first lecture for each module.

In regards to anything else, I don't think there's anything pressing that you would need to know right off the bat. Anything noteworthy is often broadcasted to all students (which was probably why I got a heap of junk from numerous bodies in the first week of every year I went to uni).

One of the biggies I had with uni was getting a car. If you don't know how to drive and you don't strictly live in the city centre, getting a car is probably a good idea if you have plenty of spaces to park at cheap prices. If you're based in a town like environment, it's probably ideal for groceries and going home on the odd weekend.
If you want a part time job whilst you're at uni, the first week would probably be a good time to send off your CV, although it's still ideal if you did it during the summer break.
You would also ideally sort out your accommodation for next year by Christmas, especially if there's like a big band of you people sharing a house somewhere. If you don't care who you stay with or left everything to the last minute, consider spareroom.com.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending