The Student Room Group

Criminal Record Adult Nursing

I have just been given a unconditional offer for Adult Nursing.I have a criminal record and declared this only UCAS.

I now have filled a declaration form out for course which has too go too a panel for decision.

It was 7 year's ago
December 2008 caution
march 2009 charge both shoplifting I have not reoffend since
Since then I have currently volunteered for the Health Improvement service for two year's and am currently working as a carer at an extra housing scheme.

Any Advice would be brillant....

Scroll to see replies

Don't steal from future patients would probably be a good start :smile:
Reply 2
Not very good Advice really.
Reply 3
The fact that you have declared the caution is a positive. A few people on my course have convictions; all were allowed to enrol on Nursing and Midwifery courses pending a review by a panel.

Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by Gobberts
I have just been given a unconditional offer for Adult Nursing.I have a criminal record and declared this only UCAS.

I now have filled a declaration form out for course which has too go too a panel for decision.

It was 7 year's ago
December 2008 caution
Since then I have currently volunteered for the Health Improvement service for two year's and am currently working as a carer at an extra housing scheme.

Original post by The HoneyBadger
Don't steal from future patients would probably be a good start :smile:

and very rude.
You've completely done the right thing by declaring it up front. I'm sure you can prove to the panel that you've learnt from your mistakes and that part of your life is behind you. Nursing is about honesty and trustworthiness (plus a few other bits and bobs!) just show that you deserve that trust, it adds to your life experience and can empathise with patients who have maybe also had a rough time in their past. No one is squeaky clean, and if they say they are, they're probably lying!
Good luck.
Easy lucky enough to start ur course
Reply 6
Do you think I will be ok??And what do you mean??
Do you think I will be ok??And what do you mean??

Have you not started - your original post was last year.?

I work with a chap who has a conviction for drunk and disorderly. ( Male nurse) The important thing is to declare it and be prepared to answer questions.

Also - take a look at the NMC.org.uk website - under "latest hearings" and see what currently registered nurses have done - you are small fry compared to some of them.
Sorry I meant was you lucky enough to start the course. Just checking up on you since you last updated us.
Reply 9
I don't start till three week.It went to Admin panel in April and they stated they believe I can commence on the programme,but got to do my dbs check in two week and it will go to another panel,Don't no if is to see that everything add's up with my discloser I sent in April and matches DBS.Really Worried..Xx..
I don't start till three week.It went to Admin panel in April and they stated they believe I can commence on the programme,but got to do my dbs check in two week and it will go to another panel,Don't no if is to see that everything add's up with my discloser I sent in April and matches DBS.Really Worried..Xx..

You shouldn't be worried if you have told them the truth that is what will come up on your dbs. I have had a few dbs done because I have been volunteering. I am now on the process of applying for uni. I went to one interview I declared it to them and did a disclosure cover letter. I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm glad they gave you a chance. Now I'm waiting. Which uni is yours.
Reply 11
Original post by Megastar123
You shouldn't be worried if you have told them the truth that is what will come up on your dbs. I have had a few dbs done because I have been volunteering. I am now on the process of applying for uni. I went to one interview I declared it to them and did a disclosure cover letter. I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm glad they gave you a chance. Now I'm waiting. Which uni is yours.

Hi I have not started yet,It went to a Panel in April they stated they believe I will be able to commence the programme if I get a place,Got a Place but got to do my dbs and it got to go panel again I am going to disclose the letter and discloser I did in April.I think it is to make sure their and NO further offence's and what I said in my discloser is True!Very Worried.Xx.
Omg why is the process so long. Well I hope u get in. It sounds very stressful.
Reply 13
Can we have an update please?? Crossing everything for you xxx

It was 7 year's ago
December 2008 caution

Is this offense not eligible for filtering and not having to disclose it?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Is this offense not eligible for filtering and not having to disclose it?

No it isn't but he should be fine they will just check to see you have changed

It was 7 year's ago
December 2008 caution

What is it you want? You would have had to declare it anyway and any dbs check would have shown it up. Im assuming as a nurse you would be subject to an enhanced check rather than a basic one.

Try this

http://disclose.me.uk/question/how-long-will-my-conviction-stay-on-record/

Under 18 when convicted it stays on record for 6 years 18+ and it stays for 11 years.

on the good side its not one for violence or a sexual offence, but it is one for dishonesty. helps if you were under 18 becayse you just claim you were a child, mixed with wrong crowd etc and no offending since. not the same person etc. You understand the high standards expected of a nurse etc.

1. You can talk to the person who interviewed you.Its better to disclose up front. You can point out you declared it on your UCAS, which presumably they have seen.
2. Nursing and Midwifery Council guidance: READ THIS
https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/staying-on-the-register/informing-us-of-cautions-and-convictions/
https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/staying-on-the-register/informing-us-of-cautions-and-convictions/information-for-your-application/
3. The helpline details are here if you are a member of the RCN
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help

My advice: read the above, try not to worry as they will have seen this already. They want to make sure you are aware of why its importnat and know the offences were minor plus dont threaten your ability to carry out your duties on the course and you have enough honesty and integrity.

4. You cna also throw in how much you consdier nursing to be a vocation, the changes you have made and it would be unfortunate / unfair if these indiscretions were to blight your future when youve done everything you cna to move on. You cna also point them to a recent decision in the High Voyrt along these lines in jan this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35383037

More than enough for you to go on.

meh just seen 25.3.15
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
What is it you want? You would have had to declare it anyway and any dbs check would have shown it up. Im assuming as a nurse you would be subject to an enhanced check rather than a basic one.

Try this

http://disclose.me.uk/question/how-long-will-my-conviction-stay-on-record/

Under 18 when convicted it stays on record for 6 years 18+ and it stays for 11 years.

on the good side its not one for violence or a sexual offence, but it is one for dishonesty. helps if you were under 18 becayse you just claim you were a child, mixed with wrong crowd etc and no offending since. not the same person etc. You understand the high standards expected of a nurse etc.

1. You can talk to the person who interviewed you.Its better to disclose up front. You can point out you declared it on your UCAS, which presumably they have seen.
2. Nursing and Midwifery Council guidance: READ THIS
https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/staying-on-the-register/informing-us-of-cautions-and-convictions/
https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/staying-on-the-register/informing-us-of-cautions-and-convictions/information-for-your-application/
3. The helpline details are here if you are a member of the RCN
https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help

My advice: read the above, try not to worry as they will have seen this already. They want to make sure you are aware of why its importnat and know the offences were minor plus dont threaten your ability to carry out your duties on the course and you have enough honesty and integrity.

4. You cna also throw in how much you consdier nursing to be a vocation, the changes you have made and it would be unfortunate / unfair if these indiscretions were to blight your future when youve done everything you cna to move on. You cna also point them to a recent decision in the High Voyrt along these lines in jan this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35383037

More than enough for you to go on.

meh just seen 25.3.15

If he was sentenced to prison even if it was suspended it will never be filtered. I know cause I'm in the same situation. But if you have already got an offer that means ur declaration already went in front of the panel. So you should be fine to start.
Original post by Megastar123
If he was sentenced to prison even if it was suspended it will never be filtered. I know cause I'm in the same situation. But if you have already got an offer that means ur declaration already went in front of the panel. So you should be fine to start.

Not sure why you are telling me. I already made refernce to the difference between an enhanced and a basic DBS search.
Original post by 999tigger
Not sure why you are telling me. I already made refernce to the difference between an enhanced and a basic DBS search.

Yeah I understand. Sorry to confuse you. What I mean is. When applying to do any job which involves working with vulnerable people an enhanced DBS will be carried out on you. So like you Asaid if he committed the crime when he was under the age of 18 it can be filtered. But if he was 18over it depends on the sentence you got, if he got a sentenced to imprisonment from 6months plus this can not be filtered. It will remain on his crb for life. I am only saying this because I am in the same situation. My DBS will never be clear. But it's fine because the university look at a lot of things before making a decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending