The Student Room Group
Original post by Heynothing24
I am currently in year 12 and am interested in studying one of these degrees. My questions are which one is more interesting and which one has a better career prospect?

Biomedical is more to do with lab work which you can research online. Biological science is more to do with the wild and animals etc. You can compare the module courses from reading university course info
I am currently in year 12 and am interested in studying one of these degrees. My questions are which one is more interesting and which one has a better career prospect?

Original post by Samuel745
Biomedical is more to do with lab work which you can research online. Biological science is more to do with the wild and animals etc.

This isn't strictly true. Biomed covers mainly medical related topics but the biological sciences includes a wide range of topics from animal to plant to molecular biology.

You can compare the module courses from reading university course info

This is good advice!
Biomedical is more to do with lab work which you can research online. Biological science is more to do with the wild and animals etc. You can compare the module courses from reading university course info

Original post by alleycat393
This isn't strictly true. Biomed covers mainly medical related topics but the biological sciences includes a wide range of topics from animal to plant to molecular biology.

This is good advice!

My other question is which one is considered to be more rigorous and would be considered to be more desirable by employers in the research industry?

Also would biomedical science be preferred if I wanted to pursue a career in the NHS?
Reply 4
My other question is which one is considered to be more rigorous and would be considered to be more desirable by employers in the research industry?

Also would biomedical science be preferred if I wanted to pursue a career in the NHS?

It depends on what field though, e.g Immunology.
Original post by kkboyk
It depends on what field though, e.g Immunology.

I would be interested in pursuing something which is patient-related such as immunology or testing blood samples
Reply 6
I would be interested in pursuing something which is patient-related such as immunology or testing blood samples

It wouldn't make no significance difference whichever one of those you do: you will still be able to get into a good job. However, I'm sure Biomedical Science is more practical so you'll gain more practical experience, whereas on the other hand, Biological Science degree is a bit more flexible and allows you to study a wide variety of fields that isn't available in a Biomedical degree.

It also depends on which uni you go to.
Original post by kkboyk
It wouldn't make no significance difference whichever one of those you do: you will still be able to get into a good job. However, I'm sure Biomedical Science is more practical so you'll gain more practical experience, whereas on the other hand, Biological Science degree is a bit more flexible and allows you to study a wide variety of fields that isn't available in a Biomedical degree.

It also depends on which uni you go to.

Would you recommend that I go to a univerisity that has a biomedical degree that is accredited by the IBMS even though those universities aren't as 'prestigious'?
Reply 8
Would you recommend that I go to a univerisity that has a biomedical degree that is accredited by the IBMS even though those universities aren't as 'prestigious'?

I can't really suggest anything, since I don't really know much about it. If I were you I'd go to one that offers a good teaching quality, other opportunities they offer e.g. placements and huge links to industries, offer loads of practical experience as soon as you start the degree and such
Yeah I guess that sounds like a good plan. Thanks :smile:

I've read that if you don't choose an accredited course you can always do top up modules at the end to create a portfolio for working in the nhs - it might be annoying to have to do as means spending more time in education but at the same time going to a more prestigious uni might give you more job prospects of you change your mind about the nhs :smile: although some accredited unis are great, I looked at Reading which is accredited and the course is good and uni is well respected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either

For a career in the NHS you want an accredited biomed degree.
Well, biomedical science can lead to a job opportunity as a biomedical scientist almost straight away. If you finish your course with a 2:1 or above, you have to spend 2 years in (paid) training to earn a competency certificate (This is true even if the course is accredited- if it isn't you also have to earn the initial accreditation before you can train in a lab above assistant level), but then you're free to work as a biomedical scientist wherever you want. If you were looking for a career in medical research in the NHS, you'd probably be better off with a biomedical science degree because it's more chemistry based than straight biology which will come in much more useful, and give you a broader range of job prospects.
Reply 13
How can you check if a course is NHS accredited?

Latest

Trending

Trending