The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilyobz
will take me a while trying to find the perfect case then, I'll get back to you m8 lets stay in touch :smile:

Aye. Just book mark this thread and quote me when you find bits. Im sure other people will chime in and lend a helping hand.

I can point you in the right direction but its been a while since ive really faffed around with computers. So others in here will have a much better idea of eeking out that last bit of performance for the money. I can get you close though mind.
Reply 61
Original post by Sam Walters
Aye. Just book mark this thread and quote me when you find bits. Im sure other people will chime in and lend a helping hand.

I can point you in the right direction but its been a while since ive really faffed around with computers. So others in here will have a much better idea of eeking out that last bit of performance for the money. I can get you close though mind.

Just ordered a case http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-Z11-Plus-Installation-Anti-Vibration/dp/B007C008L2

My "other" buddy checked ur specs u made for me and said is sound. :colondollar:
I'll just add my 2 cents.

AMD cpus are pretty bad, they run far too hot and use too much energy. They haven't been updated in years and AMD has basically given up on the desktop cpu market.

Their GPUs are fine.

From this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pRN9pg

Spend the extra £20 on an i5 and use the stock cooler. Roughly the same performance but half the energy usage.

I'd drop down to 8GB and spend a bit more on the motherboard as well.

The Intel CPUs are currently overdue a refresh (Broadwell) although Skylake should launch later this year but I imagine you won't want to
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by jameswhughes
If you want to save money, buying electronics on contract/finance etc. is pretty much always a bad idea and you'll end up paying more than you would had you paid for the whole thing upfront. At least in every example I've seen, what you pay over the contract is more than the original price.

Of course you will, 99% of the time that is the whole idea, unless it's a 0% finance option for x number of years (more popular with car financing).

I wouldn't say it's bad, currently my Macbook Pro and iPhone 6 plus are on finance, the two combined would have cost me nearly £1,800.

The phone has 5 months left to repay, and total of 8 monthly repayments, the total interest amount on that loan was £35.

The Macbook pro loan is 12 months at £89.xx a month, total interest on that is under £100.

Being charged under £100 to borrow £999 for 12 months is a very good deal if you ask me.

Now back to the point OP, I know your feel, I was an apprentice once working in London, earning £650 a month (under £4 an hour) for 37.5 hour working week (+5 hours week for lunch). It used to cost me approximately £300 a month just to commute to work as an apprentice, on a zones 1-6 weekly season ticket + fuel for getting to the station.

I too wanted a gaming PC, what I did is every month bought a new component, within 3 months I'd managed to buy the lot (with a bit of help from selling old bits I no longer wanted).

I then built it myself and still use it as my gaming PC - although it's been largely upgraded since then.

I'm not aware of any financing options on sites that offer custom builds, could you not ask your parents to lend you the money for the system and have you make monthly repayments for it?
(edited 8 years ago)
@aliman65 what components do you have in your pc?
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending