The Student Room Group

19 years old and Extremely stuck in career path and choice. Need URGENT help!

Hi everybody

I got a big problem with my studies at the moment. I'm currently 18 years old (approaching 19 in under 2 months) and I’m currently studying in the first year of a BTEC Business 3 Level Extended Diploma at College and also GCSEs in English and Maths.

To make a background story here, my whole life in education has not been the best and this was due to my poor secondary school recognising that I needed learner support. Because of this during my GCSE years, I didn't really have the chance to choose the subjects that I would enjoy or be interested in. Instead the school always put me in lower level stuff which made me very frustrated, and eventually this frustration lead to me developing OCD which meant I need to be taken out of school. So I never completed any GCSEs.

Anyway 2 years later I came back into education into sixth form where did a transitional year with me learning 3 BTECS level 2 in business (distinction *), public services (pass) And work skills (pass). After this I progress onto A-level but during that year due to the lack of support and school failing from ofsted outstanding to inadequate. I made the decision to write myself off in May last year without completing anyway of the A-Level subjects.

So now I decided to go to college to do an extended BTEC level 3 in business. The reason why I chose this was that business to me is a natural subject which I preform brilliantly in after gaining a distinction * at level 2, also in this first year I'm expecting to achieve the same grade and finally I'm mega poor at exams so the coursework option in BTEC was ideal for me.

Although the problem I have here is that after researching all the different types of jobs I can get into either by studying business further at university or just with this qualification. All of them I don't like nor do I have an interest into doing. Which makes me feel down because I'm in a small box situation where I don't know what to do.

I feel that I'm on the wrong course because I'm really doing it as a hobby it seems and not as a career choice. (Although one day in the future I have ambitions to be self-employed). Also another problem I got is that it would be hard for me to do another course which I might like because of several reasons:

Due to my old school, I've never had the chance to learn or take part in anything other than business. So any interest I would have in either media or art. I would be discouraged because I don't want to waste my time if I was not good at this subjects.

At 18 years old, I don't want to spend potentially another 3 years in further education. Because my plans will be to finish my business course because I will gain 3 A levels worth with it and I can use that as a backup plan. Also I plan to do a gap year just to give me a break. So by the time I get back I would be 21 years old with already 4 years spent in FE and having to do another 2-3 years in which I would need to pay thousands of pounds and still be in education which Is something I grew tired of when at the same time I could be in employment which would be fresh and new. (Although this employment would be some think I wouldn't want as a career).

And last problem, I know this year for BTEC level 2 courses they have introduced exams and next year I believe this will be the same for level 3 and exams r mega struggle and perform poorly in.

Apologies for the long story, what I'm asking here is that is there any advice I could get here and most welcoming is there anybody who's had the same problem once before in being in the wrong course, but doesn't know what to do after and being 18 at the time.

Any advice or suggestions in what I could do now would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers

P.s This may be posted in other threads, in order to get attention from more others and possibly get more help and suggestions.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest