The Student Room Group

Medicine Subject choices @ A-Level

I am currently studying for my GCSE's at the moment, and i aim to study medicine at university. i was wondering whether the Subjects Chem,Bio,RS ang Eng Lit would be an ok combination to study at A-Level....Do unis require a third science? I think the aforementioned combination of subjects would be a much less stressful workload than if i were to take all sciences at A level and Rs. Having said that, if that is what would potentially get me onto the course/offers provided i get all As at A level, then it would be wise to take that.
Also, does anyone know what kind of GCSE grades the Russell Group Universities require for medicine?
Cheers

Assed
Original post by AssedAwan
I am currently studying for my GCSE's at the moment, and i aim to study medicine at university. i was wondering whether the Subjects Chem,Bio,RS ang Eng Lit would be an ok combination to study at A-Level....Do unis require a third science? I think the aforementioned combination of subjects would be a much less stressful workload than if i were to take all sciences at A level and Rs. Having said that, if that is what would potentially get me onto the course/offers provided i get all As at A level, then it would be wise to take that.
Also, does anyone know what kind of GCSE grades the Russell Group Universities require for medicine?
Cheers

Assed

Only Cambridge require three sciences so they are fine for pretty much all Medical Schools otherwise. GCSE requirements for Medical Schools are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Only Cambridge require three sciences so they are fine for pretty much all Medical Schools otherwise. GCSE requirements for Medical Schools are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:

Oh ok, thanks a lot. So i wouldn't be at any disadvantage applying to a uni with those four at As, dropping English at A2?
Oh ok, thanks a lot. So i wouldn't be at any disadvantage applying to a uni with those four at As, dropping English at A2?

Nope, with the exception of Cambridge. :smile:

In fact, UCL actually give a small preference to people with a non-science subject (although they are the only Medical School to do so).
Reply 4
Cheers

Assed

G'day!

Those 4 subjects should be fine for most universities. If I remember correctly, only Cambridge specifically ask for maths/a third science. Most Russell Group universities won't mind you taking just bio and chem, as long as you get those 3 A grades at A2.

As for GCSE grades, it depends on the university. This should help you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

In any case, I would strongly recommend getting as many A* at GCSE as you can to give you the most options when you do apply for med school.
Reply 5
Original post by 9910224
G'day!

Those 4 subjects should be fine for most universities. If I remember correctly, only Cambridge specifically ask for maths/a third science. Most Russell Group universities won't mind you taking just bio and chem, as long as you get those 3 A grades at A2.

As for GCSE grades, it depends on the university. This should help you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

In any case, I would strongly recommend getting as many A* at GCSE as you can to give you the most options when you do apply for med school.

Hey
thanks for your reply
Is there a certain cut-off point for what GCSE grades you should achieve?
What sort of things do Universities take into account when considering applicants
Thanks a lot
Reply 6
Hey
thanks for your reply
Is there a certain cut-off point for what GCSE grades you should achieve?
What sort of things do Universities take into account when considering applicants
Thanks a lot

I don't know about cut-off points for GCSEs like they would for UCAS... I guess in some sense, some unis do. For example, QUB give you points based on GCSE grades and that's what they use to determine who gets interviews. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 universities that do that kind of thing. Anyway, most if not all will look at your GCSEs, which is why I encourage that you just concentrate on getting the best grades and contributing as much as you can to your school at this stage (it's all you can do to boost your chances at this stage, really, besides maybe sorting out your work experience/volunteering).

Depending on the university, what they look for in interviews and personal statements are worded differently, but basically, you need good motivation/reasons/commitment to studying medicine; a strong academic background or predicted grades; good entrance exam results (where applicable); lessons learned from work experience and volunteering; extra-curricular activities; personal qualities which would make you a good medical student/professional. [NB: contributors, please correct me if I missed anything]
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheers

Assed

No, you don't really need Physics too, generally universities prefer a more rounded person than just science, so RS or English work well. Chemistry is a necessity so that's good and biology is helpful, have you thought about Maths? It is quite well regarded by universities and will work well with chemistry, in my chemistry class everyone does maths and there is quite a lot of maths involved in the course so comes in handy.

I'm doing AS at the moment, doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music x
Reply 8
Original post by 9910224
I don't know about cut-off points for GCSEs like they would for UCAS... I guess in some sense, some unis do. For example, QUB give you points based on GCSE grades and that's what they use to determine who gets interviews. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2 universities that do that kind of thing. Anyway, most if not all will look at your GCSEs, which is why I encourage that you just concentrate on getting the best grades and contributing as much as you can to your school at this stage (it's all you can do to boost your chances at this stage, really, besides maybe sorting out your work experience/volunteering).

Depending on the university, what they look for in interviews and personal statements are worded differently, but basically, you need good motivation/reasons/commitment to studying medicine; a strong academic background or predicted grades; good entrance exam results (where applicable); lessons learned from work experience and volunteering; extra-curricular activities; personal qualities which would make you a good medical student/professional. [NB: contributors, please correct me if I missed anything]

Thanks a lot for that i appreciate it greatly. Are you currently studying medicine? You know a great deal :smile: i think i may just need to try and do as well as possible in my gcses in the meanwhile. Take care appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by RedNebula
No, you don't really need Physics too, generally universities prefer a more rounded person than just science, so RS or English work well. Chemistry is a necessity so that's good and biology is helpful, have you thought about Maths? It is quite well regarded by universities and will work well with chemistry, in my chemistry class everyone does maths and there is quite a lot of maths involved in the course so comes in handy.

I'm doing AS at the moment, doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Music x

hey RedNebula
Thanks for your reply
Ah, ok so i would be ok with those subjects? and yes i have considered Maths, however,i really am not confident that i would achieve all As at A-Level with maths :frown: ahah so im kind of torn between Physics and English for the fourth subjects as i think Physics may be more preferable. But yeah, idk! :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks a lot for that i appreciate it greatly. Are you currently studying medicine? You know a great deal :smile: i think i may just need to try and do as well as possible in my gcses in the meanwhile. Take care appreciate your help :smile:

Thanks! When you finally do the applying, you'll get around to learning the whole "applying to med school" game. :P

I'm currently in my gap-two-years but I've so far got one offer for medicine; still waiting for two more unis to reply.

Glad I could be of help! Best of luck for the future!
Reply 11
Original post by 9910224
Thanks! When you finally do the applying, you'll get around to learning the whole "applying to med school" game. :P

I'm currently in my gap-two-years but I've so far got one offer for medicine; still waiting for two more unis to reply.

Glad I could be of help! Best of luck for the future!

You too mate, i hope you get what you want :smile:

Do you mind me asking what you achieved at Gcse and AS/A2? also do you do any extra curricular/Sports/volunteering/instruments/prefect, etc? haha

All the best 9910224 :P
Original post by RedNebula
generally universities prefer a more rounded person than just science, so RS or English work well. Chemistry is a necessity so that's good and biology is helpful, have you thought about Maths?

It's a common myth that preference is given to people with a contrasting subject - other than UCL, it really doesn't matter if you take all sciences. Maths isn't necessary either and only Cambridge give preference to people who have it. :smile:

What do Oxford think about it mate? And do UCL mind the fact that it is two Non-science subjects? Thanks again

Oxford, AFAIK, don't make any mention to giving a preference to people with all science subjects or a contrasting subject. For them, your GCSEs and BMAT score are the most important thing to get shortlisted for interview. You can have a look at their statistics here: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics (the average Medicine offer holder there had 10.2 A* grades at GCSE).

There shouldn't be any problem with your choices for UCL. :smile:
Cheers

Assed

Only really oxbridge require 3 sciences (maths counts as a science).
With the others, they usually just require the 2. Biology and chemistry (which you have chosen) are your best bet.
Your other 2 subjects sound pretty good as well.
You too mate, i hope you get what you want :smile:

Do you mind me asking what you achieved at Gcse and AS/A2? also do you do any extra curricular/Sports/volunteering/instruments/prefect, etc? haha

All the best 9910224 :P

I got 8 A*s (inc. triple science) and 2 As at GCSE, then A*AAA at A-level + A in EPQ. I did regular volunteering at a care home and a cardiac rehabilitation centre (quite lucky that the only one of its kind in England was in my town, really). I live closer to a hospital now so I do my volunteering there nowadays. I'd also recommend helping out at school/college events even if it is just open days or even as a peer mentor/tutor at a subject you're good at. I was a prefect, but I wasn't one of the seniors; didn't bother putting it in my personal statement, though.

I'm pretty light on extra-curriculars, really. I read, play guitar, teach myself mandolin, play the occasional bit of football and basketball when in the mood.... Personally, as long as you have something that takes your mind off your studies/work and destresses you, you're made for life. Unis probably just think hobbies are the most solid evidence.
hey RedNebula
Thanks for your reply
Ah, ok so i would be ok with those subjects? and yes i have considered Maths, however,i really am not confident that i would achieve all As at A-Level with maths :frown: ahah so im kind of torn between Physics and English for the fourth subjects as i think Physics may be more preferable. But yeah, idk! :P

Okay then, fair enough :smile: Good luck with whatever you choose! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I study chemistry, physics, biology and maths at AS-Level and I want to study medicine too. I think that your chosen ASs for the moment are good and provide a lot of variety and would allow you to get into medicine at uni. However, I have to say that although my subjects can be quite hectic at times, I do find that there are so many links between all of the subjects which really does help, so I would encourage you to think about physics, which you did mention earlier.

At the end of the day though, I think that you should pick the subjects you enjoy most and know you will get good grades in because after all, you could end up spending 2 years studying a subject you hate.

Quick Reply

Latest