The Student Room Group

Medical school GCSEs

Hi guys,

I'm new here so I hope this is in the right place😁😁😁 If I get AABB in AS this year and get a high UKCATSEN/BMAT score, will I be disadvantaged because of my low gcse grades. I got 7Bs and 3Cs but I was ill during my GCSEs. The school said they will provide evidence of prior academic excellence( I was getting straight As all through GCSEs and even my mocks 2 months before we're all A*s and As) will the unis care about this or will they just reject because of low GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If your referee writes in your references about extenuating circumstances, then med schools will take them into consideration when looking at your application.
Original post by Laraxx
Hi guys,

I'm new here so I hope this is in the right place������������������ If I get AABB in AS this year and get a high UKCATSEN/BMAT score, will I be disadvantaged because of my low gcse grades. I got 7Bs and 3Cs but I was ill during my GCSEs. The school said they will provide evidence of prior academic excellence( I was getting straight As all through GCSEs and even my mocks 2 months before we're all A*s and As) will the unis care about this or will they just reject because of low GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would likely significantly improve your application if you got As in biology, chemistry and one from physics or maths this summer to make up for poor GCSE grades.

AS level grades and predicted A2 grades are by far more important than GCSEs to most medical schools, but getting grade Bs and Cs in maths and the separate/combined sciences, this may be a cause for concern.

Although your school may be able to provide evidence through mock performance, I'm sorry to put it so crudely, but you can't polish a turd in terms of GCSE performance so to speak.

As your GCSE grades are significantly lower than the average applicant, then this is likely to still reflect on your application, but if you can secure 3As in relevant subjects at AS, then I'm sure that you still stand a good chance as much as anyone else.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
What about the Kings extended programme, do you think they'll take into account lower GCSEs? Thanks for your advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending