The Student Room Group

I flopped the IELTS again!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raymat
Hello, I am a prospective student on a gap year who holds a conditional offer to study Biotechnology BSc (J700) at Imperial and my only requirement is to pass a relevant English Language qualification. I sat the IELTS and have attained these results;

Listening: 8.0
Reading: 6.5
Writing: 6.0
Speaking: 8.5
Overall: 7.5

I am not sure whether Imperial want the standard college requirements or the higher college requirements for 2015 entry so I wanted to ask which out of the 2 requirements does Imperial want for my course?
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/apply/requirements/english/
Will the department of Life Sciences accept me with these results? If the requirements are the same for 2016 entry then I missed the requirements by 0.5 for Writing!!!! Do you think they can let me off that 0.5? Imperial are closed for Easter so I couldn't contact them. I emailed them but I don't think they will reply until 8th April so I thought I'd get some opinions here.

I think the conditions do not have to be necessarily the same as stated as the website, they can be higher or lower, just as the A-level grades that you can see people being offered differently on TSR.
You should refer to the one stated on your offer letter.
If they have not declared the minimum for each paper, you should email them if just overall is okay.

Original post by Raymat
Deadline for showing a relevant English Language qualification is 22 July and results for GCSE English is in August. I got my offer from Imperial on 16 January so It was too late to sit GCSE English in January.

If you get registered for GCSE English, I don't see any reason why the Imperial cannot extend the deadline to the result day. Yet I'd toss on IELTS as you can know the result earlier so that you can retake.

Lastly, don't worry too much but do try your best. I have a classmate going to King's without meeting their IELTS requirement!
Reply 21
Original post by Sky.high

If they have not declared the minimum for each paper, you should email them if just overall is okay.

This OP; drop them an email asking if they could consider taking you with the current results. Perhaps you could include in that retaking may be unaffordable for you as well.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
Deadline for showing a relevant English Language qualification is 22 July and results for GCSE English is in August. I got my offer from Imperial on 16 January so It was too late to sit GCSE English in January.

sorry to bring up an old post but i also got a 4 for my english language gcse but now im doing my first year of a levels studying bio chem and maths. i know the minimum english language requirement is a B/6 to do medicine in unis such as icl or kcl so i just want to know how did you manage to apply to those unis and still get an offer despite your gcse english result. I though you wouldnt be able to apply in the first place.
Also is your first langauge english because im also a british student but worried i wont be allowed to do an IELTS test because i would rather do that then retake my english GSCE. Any advice would be helpful because im really stressing right now.

I got A*A*Ab for Maths, Chemistry, Biology and AS Psychology. I highly doubt they'll accept me as they would've given me unconditional if they didn't care about something as trivial as a freaking GCSE English Language grade (seems like 5A*-C with C in Maths and English is a fail to them)!!

sorry to bring up an old post but i also got a 4 for my english language gcse but now im doing my first year of a levels studying bio chem and maths. i know the minimum english language requirement is a B/6 to do medicine in unis such as icl or kcl so i just want to know how did you manage to apply to those unis and still get an offer despite your gcse english result. I though you wouldnt be able to apply in the first place.

Also is your first langauge english because im also a british student but worried i wont be allowed to do an IELTS test because i would rather do that then retake my english GSCE. Any advice would be helpful because im really stressing right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending