The Student Room Group

Taking A-levels Independently

Hey everyone.

I'm a senior at high school in the United States, but I have British citizenship also. I am looking to study Sport and Exercise Science at Loughborough Uni in the future. It would be preferable to start next year, however, I don't have enough AP courses to get directly in. However, I did receive very high scores on my ACT and SAT tests. I have been researching some alternative routes to gain entry to uni, but have some questions about A-levels. Can they be done privately? My aunt lives in England and has offered to let me live with her for a year while I study A-levels independently with the help of a tutor. I know they are typically done in two years through classes taken at an institution, but I believe I could complete them in one year. I have background knowledge on the subjects I wish to study. Would I be able to do independent study, then sit in on the A-levels exams at an institution at the end of the year? Or does anyone know of any other possible routes?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lufbragirl
I'm a senior at high school in the United States, but I have British citizenship also. I am looking to study Sport and Exercise Science at Loughborough Uni in the future. It would be preferable to start next year, however, I don't have enough AP courses to get directly in. However, I did receive very high scores on my ACT and SAT tests. I have been researching some alternative routes to gain entry to uni, but have some questions about A-levels. Can they be done privately?

Yes they can for most A levels but PE might be an issue. New A level speciifcations are being launched but if you want to complete full A levels next Summer you would need to stick to the current ones. If you teach yourself you need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate to take exams there. Everythng is then sorted out through them. The main entry deadline is 21 February at the exam board but it can take a while to sort it out so I would recommend looking for a centre in December.

Quick Reply

Latest