The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Deagdavies
Does anyone have any tips on Macbeth? It's the text I'm struggling most with, I just never know what to say, it drives me crazy! I like the actual play itself, just writing about it is a nightmare.

Type in Mr Bruff Macbeth on youtube, he has a whole playlist of Macbeth analysis ( I think it is aimed at GCSE but it works just as well for a starting point for A Level) He also has other texts as well so look and see if your other ones are on there , I know frankenstein is
2015‘Elements of Gothic’ Predictions

After looking at previous exam papers, thisis what I believe might come up this year. I’ve gone through the AQA A2 Englishbook that I had been given photocopies of, as well as different themes andaspects that can come up for the exam. As I am studying Wuthering Heights,Frankenstein and Macbeth, I have only gone through these texts and Section B.

Remember, these are not guaranteed and shouldnot entirely be trusted.

WutheringHeights

June 14 love being presented as emotion thatprovokes violence rather than tenderness (psychological)

June 13 more suffering caused by diseasedmind rather than diseased body (psychological/character)

Jan 13 above all, the novel is anexploration of fear (psychological/structure)

June 12 ‘entrapped, imprisoned,disempowered’ (women/psychological)

Jan 12 more suffering caused by mentalcruelty than physical cruelty (psychological/character)

Okay,so ‘psychological’ is one that comes up every year from what I can see and I’mcertain it will come up this year because the gothic genre is full ofpsychological aspects. However, I believe that the possible topic that willcome up is something to do with character for sure, but relates to somethinglike transgression or religion or maybe something to do with setting becauseneither have come up before for this text, yet have come up at least once foreither Section B, Frankenstein or Macbeth. I don’t think it will be a statementquestion because both June 12 and June 14 were statement question, so I thinkit’s more likely that it’s a ‘how far do you agree with the view that…’question.

Frankenstein

June 14 novel is a total condemnation of transgression(transgression/religion)

June 13 uses setting to contribute togothic effects (place & setting)

Jan 13 boundaries between good and evilconstantly blurred, leaving reader with moral uncertainty (liminal)

June 12 Monster is Frankenstein’s double,evil side of character? (character,doppelganger)

Jan 12 ‘curdle the blood and quicken thebeatings of the heart’ does she achieve her aims? (structure/psychological)

WithFrankenstein, transgression has come up last year, so I don’t see it coming upagain this year. However, psychological has only come up once so that’s apossibility because it’s come up a few times for other texts. Also, I thinkthat if transgression was to come up again, it would be more subtle, maybe withwomen something along the lines of the lack of a ‘mother figure’? That wouldcover a lot of themes. Also, it could come up with religion, about the view ofreligion in the text, but I see that as less likely because June 14 did subtlysay it. So, it’s more likely women or psychological will come up.

Macbeth

June 14 very moral play about punishment ofsin? (religion)

June 13 play about nature of evil ratherthan the nature of ambition (gothicdrama/themes)

Jan 13 (quote about Macbeth) consider himas a gothic protagonist in this context (character)

June 12 significance of darkness andconcealment (psychological/religion)

Jan 12 supernatural elements representMacbeth’s own internal struggles (character/psychological)

Sofor Macbeth, psychological and religion (to me) have come up twice, evencharacter. As papers are similar every two years, I’d say it would be somethingto do with themes or gothic drama, but maybe it will relate to women ortransgression at the same time? Even then, the pattern doesn’t seem to follow thatfor other texts. Still, I think it’s more likely that this will come up becausethey haven’t come up before.

SectionB

June 14 (1) exciting because it allows usto think the unthinkable (structure/transgression)
(2) is a disturbing exploration of theunknown (psychological/other)
(3) human beings naturally inclined to evilrather than good (character)

June 13 (1) fear and pain sources ofpleasure (psychological)
(2) ‘mad, bad and dangerous’ for gothicvillains (character)
(3) explores potential threats to normalvalues (transgression)

Jan 13 (1) presentation of places moreinteresting than characters (place &setting/character)
(2) exploration of what cannot be explained’ (transgression/other)
(3) significance of entrapment (structure/themes)

June 12 (1) warns dangers of aspiringbeyond limitations (religion/transgression)
(2) obsession is significant element (psychological/themes)
(3) gothic villains make evil seem attractive(character)

Jan 12 (1) death punishment for sin (religion)
(2) demonstrates consequences of disruptingnatural order of things (transgression)
(3) lacks tension and suspense because end isalways inevitable (structure)

Sothree options for this section. Psychological is a big one, so are characterand transgression. I feel like all three will come up this year, alongside thepossibilities of women and religion. Structure doesn’t come up much but if itdoes, then it will relate to setting this year. Those seem most likely to comeup to me.

Iknow I always say women or religion but I think because this year has been ahuge year in general for feminism, as it’s always something I see. Religion andstructure are my gut feelings though and after the AS exam this year, I have togo with them too.

Let me know if you guys have any other ideas now that I've put this up!
Does anyone have an essay on 'Macbeth is more about the nature of evil rather than the nature of ambition' that I could read, please? I would be very appreciative!
Original post by bethabbott
That is also a good connection to make because it shows the transition of the 1970's! I love The Erl King, no matter what I will cover this story because it's just so good for quotes and gothic themes (the themes im in love with anyway)

Yeah, that's a good context link:smile: The Erl-King is a nice one to write about, and I really like The Lady of the House of Love because it's so gothic - the setting, the Vampiress:biggrin: definitely my fave!
Original post by ameymalyon
Yeah, that's a good context link:smile: The Erl-King is a nice one to write about, and I really like The Lady of the House of Love because it's so gothic - the setting, the Vampiress:biggrin: definitely my fave!

I love LOTHOL! This is one of the only texts that I have came to enjoy to study - It took me an entire year to like The Great Gatsby (I retook AS) but TBC I enjoyed straight away because it's so easy to analyse. Hopefully be hitting Band 5/6's on Thursday :smile:
Original post by Deagdavies
Does anyone have any tips on Macbeth? It's the text I'm struggling most with, I just never know what to say, it drives me crazy! I like the actual play itself, just writing about it is a nightmare.

I think it's quite difficult to write about in gothic context considering Shakespeare didn't intend it to be a 'gothic' text as the genre didn't even exist back then!
I think the best way to look at it is to pick out specific points that are undoubtedly gothic - for example the witches. If the question was around supernatural you could talk about the effect on the Jacobean audience (e.g King James II wrote 'Daemonologie' which was a book about witchcraft and how those practising witchcraft should be punished and so it was widely believed), as well as the effect the power of the supernatural has on characters (Macbeth's transgression is arguably the fault of the witches).

The fact it's a linear play is also quite good to write about - especially in terms of questions regarding suspense!

It is a difficult text and I know exactly what you mean, but as long as you develop, link to the gothic genre and refer to the question it should get you a higher grade! And we mustn't forget different interpretations for those A03 marks!:tongue:
I love LOTHOL! This is one of the only texts that I have came to enjoy to study - It took me an entire year to like The Great Gatsby (I retook AS) but TBC I enjoyed straight away because it's so easy to analyse. Hopefully be hitting Band 5/6's on Thursday :smile:

Haha, I did enjoy Gatsby last year bc it was so short compared to The Kite Runner! I actually found this years texts so much harder to get along with - last year was a breeze!

I'm hoping for band 5s - I've never hit band 6 so that's unlikely!:biggrin:
Haha, I did enjoy Gatsby last year bc it was so short compared to The Kite Runner! I actually found this years texts so much harder to get along with - last year was a breeze!

I'm hoping for band 5s - I've never hit band 6 so that's unlikely!:biggrin:

I've never hit a Band 6 either, I just sit and cry about how good some people in my class are and how much I struggle sometimes just to hit a band 4 :frown: But TSR has been so helpful this year, knowing how others interpret things and being quite lovely to one another
I think it's quite difficult to write about in gothic context considering Shakespeare didn't intend it to be a 'gothic' text as the genre didn't even exist back then!
I think the best way to look at it is to pick out specific points that are undoubtedly gothic - for example the witches. If the question was around supernatural you could talk about the effect on the Jacobean audience (e.g King James II wrote 'Daemonologie' which was a book about witchcraft and how those practising witchcraft should be punished and so it was widely believed), as well as the effect the power of the supernatural has on characters (Macbeth's transgression is arguably the fault of the witches).

The fact it's a linear play is also quite good to write about - especially in terms of questions regarding suspense!

It is a difficult text and I know exactly what you mean, but as long as you develop, link to the gothic genre and refer to the question it should get you a higher grade! And we mustn't forget different interpretations for those A03 marks!:tongue:

thank you!!
I've never hit a Band 6 either, I just sit and cry about how good some people in my class are and how much I struggle sometimes just to hit a band 4 :frown: But TSR has been so helpful this year, knowing how others interpret things and being quite lovely to one another

I know exactly how you feel! I find some questions really difficult and then everyone else comes up with all these great ideas for it:biggrin:
It's really helpful, especially as different interpretations are so important for the exam:smile:
Anyone got any suggestions what could be talked about if 'dark comedy' comes up in Faustus? I have he ideas of
1) Faustus misinterpreting information
2) Mephistopheles 'charming' nature
3) Papal Scene

I really struggle on quotes for the comedic intervals, and as such have none. This seems a bad mistake as comedy is likely to come up this year :frown: Anyone any ideas to help me?
Pleeease does anyone have any resources on Faustus, I am petrified :frown:
Reply 592
Can someone please help me understand the term 'sublime'. I know that it is related to the feeling of awe and greatness, often evoked from settings. but is it a feeling? or is it an adjective? I wouldn't know how to apply it, and don't want to misinterpret it if it comes up in question
Original post by BOWE
Can someone please help me understand the term 'sublime'. I know that it is related to the feeling of awe and greatness, often evoked from settings. but is it a feeling? or is it an adjective? I wouldn't know how to apply it, and don't want to misinterpret it if it comes up in question

From what I've gathered, the sublime is more of a quality that evokes the feelings of awe and terror when confronted by the grandeur. Like themes of terror and fear, that evokes the associated feelings. That's the only way I remember it though. Hope I helped in any way :smile:
Original post by BOWE

My definition is "a sense of awe, astonishment, of being overwhelmed in the face of something much bigger than ourselves. It depends upon obscurity."

I found something else "in the 18th century, the general idea was that the sublime is the feeling of being reduced to something truly insignificant in the face of the might of God or nature"

So yes, a feeling. There's a term I just saw that it can (sometimes) refer to 'pleasurable pain'. In terms of applying it to texts (just a few per text):

Wuthering Heights -
- Seeing Thrushcross Grange - Heathcliff's reaction is "ah! it was beautiful - a splendid place"
- the landscape in general "so completely removed from the stir of society"

Frankenstein:

During this short voyage I saw the lightning playing on the summit of Mont Blanc in the most beautiful figures. The storm appeared to approach rapidly, and, on landing, I ascended a low hill, that I might observe its progress. It advanced; the heavens were clouded, and I soon felt the rain coming slowly in large drops, but its violence quickly increased While I watched the tempest, so beautiful yet terrific, I wandered on with a hasty step. This noble war in the sky elevated my spirits; I clasped my hands, and exclaimed aloud, "William, dear angel! this is thy funeral, this thy dirge!" As I said these words, I perceived in the gloom a figure which stole from behind a clump of trees near me; I stood fixed, gazing intently: I could not be mistaken. A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me; its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed me that it was the wretch, the filthy daemon, to whom I had given life. (7.22-4)

Here, the sublime is used in the sense of overwhelming emotions to nature. Words like "beautiful" "tempest" "illuminated" make it out to be good but when is lightning ever good?

Macbeth:
The desolate place/heath (I think is where the witches are?) truly shows this because Macbeth relies on them to tell him his future. He is in awe when they first tell him that he'll be king, then overwhelmed the second time when it is said he will be killed by someone not of woman-born.
Original post by BOWE

Fortunately, you can argue any point as long as it relates to your interpretation of it. As long as it's relevant then it's all good, I think I'm stuck in the same sense that it is a feeling but teachers tell me that it evokes the feelings of awe etc :frown: going to go along with what the post below (amazing post by the way, about Frankenstein) states that it is a feeling because it'll be easier to argue for texts that im doing :smile:
Reply 596
From what I've gathered, the sublime is more of a quality that evokes the feelings of awe and terror when confronted by the grandeur. Like themes of terror and fear, that evokes the associated feelings. That's the only way I remember it though. Hope I helped in any way :smile:

Brill, thank you! Good luck :smile:
Reply 597
Original post by S.Mundane
My definition is "a sense of awe, astonishment, of being overwhelmed in the face of something much bigger than ourselves. It depends upon obscurity."

I found something else "in the 18th century, the general idea was that the sublime is the feeling of being reduced to something truly insignificant in the face of the might of God or nature"

So yes, a feeling. There's a term I just saw that it can (sometimes) refer to 'pleasurable pain'. In terms of applying it to texts (just a few per text):

Wuthering Heights -
- Seeing Thrushcross Grange - Heathcliff's reaction is "ah! it was beautiful - a splendid place"
- the landscape in general "so completely removed from the stir of society"

Frankenstein:

During this short voyage I saw the lightning playing on the summit of Mont Blanc in the most beautiful figures. The storm appeared to approach rapidly, and, on landing, I ascended a low hill, that I might observe its progress. It advanced; the heavens were clouded, and I soon felt the rain coming slowly in large drops, but its violence quickly increased While I watched the tempest, so beautiful yet terrific, I wandered on with a hasty step. This noble war in the sky elevated my spirits; I clasped my hands, and exclaimed aloud, "William, dear angel! this is thy funeral, this thy dirge!" As I said these words, I perceived in the gloom a figure which stole from behind a clump of trees near me; I stood fixed, gazing intently: I could not be mistaken. A flash of lightning illuminated the object, and discovered its shape plainly to me; its gigantic stature, and the deformity of its aspect more hideous than belongs to humanity, instantly informed me that it was the wretch, the filthy daemon, to whom I had given life. (7.22-4)

Here, the sublime is used in the sense of overwhelming emotions to nature. Words like "beautiful" "tempest" "illuminated" make it out to be good but when is lightning ever good?

Macbeth:
The desolate place/heath (I think is where the witches are?) truly shows this because Macbeth relies on them to tell him his future. He is in awe when they first tell him that he'll be king, then overwhelmed the second time when it is said he will be killed by someone not of woman-born.

Wow, thank you so much :smile: This is great.
Original post by Tannykirms96
Im studying macbeth, frankenstein and the bloody chamber :smile: anyone else doing these texts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am!
Reply 599
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me with this but how do I make sure I'm analysing and evaluating my points more? Like is there a technique I can use to remember when I have to analyse/evaluate?? :s Andy help would be appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending