The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrieannaAW
I think its really hard to tell but women seem to be a popular option for section B along with religion. My teacher also thought the revenant or liminal state might come up!

I think women is a great topic! it would be a dream if that came up! revenant is also a good topic for section A
Original post by keels28
Do you have any quotations for the mental asylum bit? Thanks :-)

I don't know if it's actually an asylum, it's in chapter 21:smile:

It says:
'I lay for two months on the point of death: my ravings, as I afterwards heard, were frightful; I called myself the murderer of William, of Justine and if Clerval. Sometimes I entreated my attendants to assist me in the destruction of the fiend by whom I was tormented; and at others I felt the fingers of the monster already grasping my neck and screamed aloud with agony and terror.'
Original post by RougeFlashAllen
I think women is a great topic! it would be a dream if that came up! revenant is also a good topic for section A

I would love women but I prefer religion, just feel like its more interesting so hopefully i'd be able to come up with more ideas!
Original post by bethabbott
As women is a possibility, could somebody please further enhance any interpretations of women in these texts:
Frankenstein
Doctor Faustus
TBC (obviously is feminism based!)

Thank you ever so much, anything is appreciated :smile:

I only do Frankenstein out of those three but here's what I'd say:

Women are absent for most of the novel, usually due to death. Victor's disregard for Elizabeth and the destruction of the female monster suggests Victor fears women. Their ability to give birth is a power that he does not have, and apparently women are not supposed to be more powerful than men, so he removes the need entirely for women by effectively giving birth on his own (include the idea that the only role of women was to raise children and so Victor has effectively de-identified women). Some critics have also interpreted his fear of women as a symbol of romantic feelings for the monster. They tend to use the "I will be with you on your wedding night" to support the homoerotic readings and although it's weird it makes for a good A03 and evaluation point.

There's also Freud's theory of the Oedipus Complex- taking the idea that Victor effectively fancies his mom. Evidence for this could be the dream his has where Elizabeth turns into the dead corpse of his mother whilst he was kissing her.

Mother Nature is female and plays a massive role. There are two ways you can look at this the first being that the novel presents MN as a powerful force and one that fills Victor with all kinds of emotions (probably bring in stuff about the sublime and Romanticism here). The other is that Victor sexualises MN with quotes such as "a fervent longing to penetrate the secrets of nature" and "I pursued nature to her hiding-places." You can bring in stuff about the objectification of women and how they were seen as the property of men.

I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by northwestsixth
In Faustus, women are used for his gain (Helen of Troy to make him immortal) but also made out to be evil, through woman conjured by Mephistopheles.
-TBC empowers women and highlights their flaws, while encouraging women to embrace their sexual desires.

If you want more detail feel free :smile:

If you've got more detail on this for Faustus that would be great!!? Thanks . x
As women is a possibility, could somebody please further enhance any interpretations of women in these texts:
Frankenstein
Doctor Faustus

I only study Frankenstein out of these but my teacher says if a question on women comes up you must mention Safie and her mother!
Reply 786
Hey! Can someone please tell me how to get 30+ in both sections I have in the past but I need like a checklist
Reply 787
Hi! Can someone help me work out roughly what grade I need in the exam to get a B overall?

Last year I got 138 UMS altogether and in this years coursework I got 50/60 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meghanhoperc
hey guys how are you working out your UMS needed? i know in last years exam i got 189 and full marks in the coursework, and in this years coursework i got 58/60.

could someone tell me what i would need in this exam to get an A and if its possible A*?

thanks in advance

58/60 would give you about 76/80 UMS, I'm assuming you get 189 overall as the exam is only out of 120!

So that gives you 265/280 so far. You need 320/400 to get an A so you need 55/120 in the exam which is something very low like an E

To get an A* is based on your A2 and you need 180/200 so you need about 104/120 in exam which is mid/high A :smile:
Original post by Kirin1
Hi! Can someone help me work out roughly what grade I need in the exam to get a B overall?

Last year I got 138 UMS altogether and in this years coursework I got 50/60 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

50/60 is usually exactly the A boundary so that gives you 64/80
138+ 64 = 202/280

Overall you need 280/400 for a B so you need 72/120 in the exam which is a C :smile:
Original post by Kirin1

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got roughly 63 ums for your cw this year making your total before the exam 201. To get a B overall you need 280 ums, so in the exam you need to get roughly 79 ums which last year was 42 marks :smile:
Frankenstein
Doctor Faustus

Frankenstein-women are seen as an object- "elizabeth was mine only", "Caroline became his wife"- Could bring in victors sexually repressed feelings towards his mother -dreams of kissing Elizabeth- then this dream turns into- 'corpse of my dead mother in my arm'- and u can bring in oedipal complex for this
-fact that women are absent and are merely authorial tools- none of them add anything to the play

TBC- Snow Child- women as sexual objects- Count's desire for a 'girl as white as snow'- white-innocence-purity-virginity etc
Reply 792
I think its really hard to tell but women seem to be a popular option for section B along with religion. My teacher also thought the revenant or liminal state might come up!

What kind of liminal states are there to talk about? I know there is a liminal state between life and death but is that it? I don't fully understand what the word liminal means
Original post by scarletjackson
By the way, Lady Macbeth does have children we just never meet them (makes her appear more evil and less human in contrast to Lady Macduff whose child we see murdered) "I have given suck and know how tender tis to love the babe that milks me, I would, whilst it was smiling in my face have pluckd the nipple from it's boneless gums and dashed the brains out if I had so sworn as you have done to this."

your stupid if you think lady macbeth has children
Original post by e1510
What kind of liminal states are there to talk about? I know there is a liminal state between life and death but is that it? I don't fully understand what the word liminal means

Liminal state basically refers to being inbetween two opposite states so ones to think about are insanity and insanity, life and death, class or even genders if you are studying Macbeth.
Reply 795
Liminal state basically refers to being inbetween two opposite states so ones to think about are insanity and insanity, life and death, class or even genders if you are studying Macbeth.

Thank you!
Original post by e1510
Thank you!

That's okay, good luck! :smile:
Reply 797
Hi guys cant seem to find a thread in regards to ' Talk in Literature exam ' tomorrow can anyone thats doing it give me some tips on whats their best way of revising or point me in the direction of said exam?
Regards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frankenstein
Doctor Faustus

It sounds kinda stupid, but for Frankenstein, I remember an interpretertation that Victor himself is almost like the trembling female victim:biggrin: the way he faints and falls ill at every opportunity makes him seem quite weak - links to the gothic female.

Not sure you could actually use it as a valid point since Victor is not actually a female - but maybe just to chuck in as a different interpretation? Perhaps when Elizabeth is murdered and Victor expresses excessive emotions which climax at him fainting you could mention that his actions actually place him in a similar position:biggrin:
Original post by ameymalyon
It sounds kinda stupid, but for Frankenstein, I remember an interpretertation that Victor himself is almost like the trembling female victim:biggrin: the way he faints and falls ill at every opportunity makes him seem quite weak - links to the gothic female.

Not sure you could actually use it as a valid point since Victor is not actually a female - but maybe just to chuck in as a different interpretation? Perhaps when Elizabeth is murdered and Victor expresses excessive emotions which climax at him fainting you could mention that his actions actually place him in a similar position:biggrin:

My teacher says that's a really good different interpretation to use so don't worry, it's not silly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending