The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coffeeandcats
I just posted some, they should be on the previous page :smile:

God bless you, thank you so much!!
Hi i have not revised women someone help me with how you would talk about the role of women in either wuthering heights, northanger abbey or macbeth. Anyone else freaking out about this exam, yes hello hi.
Reply 982
Original post by JellyCat99
Thank you! Do you have any other quotes specific to the gothic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blaize castle

The carriage one (Pray Pray Stop Mr Thope) You can also use Mr. Thorpe only laughed, and say that hes a gothic villain because he find torturing Catherine fun,

The night was stormy; the wind has been rising

That room in which her disturbed imagination had tormented her on her first arrival (was gothic before but now no longer is)

Shut off by knolls or luxuriant plantations, and the steep woody hills rising behind (Northanger itself is in a gothic setting, it shut off from the real world, emphasis on Catherines gothic imagination)

His cruelty to such a charming woman (The general is the gothic villain, Catherine thinks its because he killed his wife but the reader knows its because he is a representation of patriarchal dominance, He is a villain just not a gothic villain, could lead to element of debate between him and john as to who is supposed to be the gothic villain in the novel)
Reply 983
Original post by margetrose
Hi i have not revised women someone help me with how you would talk about the role of women in either wuthering heights, northanger abbey or macbeth. Anyone else freaking out about this exam, yes hello hi.

flick onto one of the recent pages, i just posted a whole list of quote for northanger and a lot of them can be related to women :smile:
Original post by tomalevel
Could anybody give me some advice on context for the bloody chamber, Frankenstein and doctor Faustus, and any advice about how to integrate context into the essays?

Frankenstein is basically the enlightenment period, a period of new found 'thought' and science causes rifts with religion. In the exam, this fits in well when you're talking about how Shelley is trying to prove the danger of stepping beyond the boundary, about ambition in the most exaggerated way possible. It's also about the danger of science, and as you know there is a lack of religion within this with only slight references talking about "the black and comfortless sky".

With the Bloody Chamber, it's a case of sexual repression and the threat of women subverting stereotypical gothic females in the 70's which brought about a change in merging between males and females. Such as the Marquis in the Bloody Chamber, he gets killed by the mother who kills him with the "fathers gun". If anything, Carter is proving that there is no clear distinction between male and female roles anymore.
Reply 985
Original post by ridwan12
You learnt all of these... I've be regurgitating the same 10-15 qoutes for Wuthering heights since September. How many do you use for each question?

What quotes have you been rotating between?
Original post by chloe_plaicex
Frankenstein is basically the enlightenment period, a period of new found 'thought' and science causes rifts with religion. In the exam, this fits in well when you're talking about how Shelley is trying to prove the danger of stepping beyond the boundary, about ambition in the most exaggerated way possible. It's also about the danger of science, and as you know there is a lack of religion within this with only slight references talking about "the black and comfortless sky".

With the Bloody Chamber, it's a case of sexual repression and the threat of women subverting stereotypical gothic females in the 70's which brought about a change in merging between males and females. Such as the Marquis in the Bloody Chamber, he gets killed by the mother who kills him with the "fathers gun". If anything, Carter is proving that there is no clear distinction between male and female roles anymore.

Thank you!!!!! Very helpful and brief, just how i like it when it comes to English haha :smile:
Can anybody help me out?

I got an A overall last year with 164 UMS overall, and this year in my coursework I got 59/60. What would I need to get in this exam to get an A overall?
Reply 988
Could anybody give me some advice on context for the bloody chamber, Frankenstein and doctor Faustus, and any advice about how to integrate context into the essays?

An easy contextual point for Faustus is the use of latin, Latin was used during catholic masses, Catholism was banned during the time Marlowe wrote Fautus so its used to provoke fear from the audience

Religion was a big key thing, hence all the links to God and Jesus saving Faustus

the role of women was limited during the time of writing hence why women arent really in the play much

I hope that helps!
Reply 989

The Bloody Chamber - Womens Liberation Movement/second wave feminism in 70s, you could say this clearly influenced the underlying feminist criticism throughout the stories. You can bring this in whenever you talk about the relationship between men and women, the characters themselves, etc. Also, the stories are heavily influenced by fairy tales. Think about how she subverts them to deliver a feminist-style narrative. For example, TBC is taken from Bluebeard. In Bluebeard, the girl is saved by her brother. However, in TBC, she is saved by her mother. In Beauty and the Beast, the beast turns into a man. In the Tiger's Bride, though, the 'beauty' turns into a 'beast.'

Frankenstein - The Industrial Revolution brought about advances in science and technology. The century before saw the beginning of the Age of Enlightenment which valued reason, rationality and a rejection of religion. As a result, a Romanticism movement popped up in the 19th century (when shelley wrote this) which valued nature and the sublime. Shelley was actually mates with a few Romantic writers. The effects can be argued to be seen in Frankenstein - perhaps its a warning against unethical, overly rational science that doesnt have concern for the boundaries of nature? You would bring this in when talking about Victors "transgression" or breaking of social/moral codes. :smile:
Original post by yasuho
i struggle mostly with structure. ive pretty much got everything else covered but does anyone have any good structure points about macbeth, wuthering heights or TBC? :frown:

For TBC: lots of short sentences and sentences that are isolated paragraphs (eg 'dead as his wives'.), some female characters have voices and narrate themselves whereas others don't (heroine of TBC versus Beauty in TCOML), changes in tenses in the stories (eg Erl-King, changes to future in the end)
Original post by Budhoo
An easy contextual point for Faustus is the use of latin, Latin was used during catholic masses, Catholism was banned during the time Marlowe wrote Fautus so its used to provoke fear from the audience

Religion was a big key thing, hence all the links to God and Jesus saving Faustus

the role of women was limited during the time of writing hence why women arent really in the play much

I hope that helps!

Thank you that helped a lot because i have done the least research for faustus :smile:
Original post by coffeeandcats
I haven't learned them all, it's so hard, but I know a few.
In my most recent timed mock exam I used 14 quotes (for Wuthering Heights) and ended up with a mark of 37/40.
I could post pictures of the essay on here if you want.
I also got a mark of 37 in a section B question during the same mock, and used 27 quotes (somehow) in the pages that I have, but my teacher lost the final page of the essay so I'm not quite sure.

Yh that would be kl if you could post some.

What? lmao for section B I used like 10 max and got a B too. I
Does anyone have some advice on transgression in Faustus/Frankenstein/TBC? This is also a possible question and I want to fully prepare but falling down on getting less obvious points :smile:
Original post by Red-x
The Bloody Chamber - Womens Liberation Movement/second wave feminism in 70s, you could say this clearly influenced the underlying feminist criticism throughout the stories. You can bring this in whenever you talk about the relationship between men and women, the characters themselves, etc. Also, the stories are heavily influenced by fairy tales. Think about how she subverts them to deliver a feminist-style narrative. For example, TBC is taken from Bluebeard. In Bluebeard, the girl is saved by her brother. However, in TBC, she is saved by her mother. In Beauty and the Beast, the beast turns into a man. In the Tiger's Bride, though, the 'beauty' turns into a 'beast.'

Frankenstein - The Industrial Revolution brought about advances in science and technology. The century before saw the beginning of the Age of Enlightenment which valued reason, rationality and a rejection of religion. As a result, a Romanticism movement popped up in the 19th century (when shelley wrote this) which valued nature and the sublime. Shelley was actually mates with a few Romantic writers. The effects can be argued to be seen in Frankenstein - perhaps its a warning against unethical, overly rational science that doesnt have concern for the boundaries of nature? You would bring this in when talking about Victors "transgression" or breaking of social/moral codes. :smile:

Thank you this is very useful especially as i hadn't really considered the Romantic side of things :smile:
Original post by bethabbott
i loveeee that quote, use it all the time! and erl king & tbc would be my two main focuses but i would possibly weave something in about the snow child, just because its quite striking in terms of fear and pain and the girl being used as an object for desire

Yeah, I have not really done enough on the Erl King to use it unless I'm certain it fits. The Lady of the House of Love (my personal favourite) is one I'd use. She's the opposite, she only wants love and she does not seek pleasure in the pain of another. Like she wants to "take the rabbits home" and the repitition of the phrase "I do not mean to hurt you" shows just how she's crying for a release from her vampirism.
what happens if you don't put many quotes in? will the examiner not be able to give you a very high band?
Original post by margetrose

In Northanger Abbey, Austen is very satirical about the role of women and mocks the common view of women and their place in society:

'A good-looking girl, with an affectionate heart and a very ignorant mind, cannot fail of attracting a clever young man'

There is also obviously truth to this and it could be questioning the true intentions of Henry and how he patronises Catherine, may not love her and just wants a simple wife to live a simple life with in his modest house
Reply 998
Original post by uncommonsensing
For TBC: lots of short sentences and sentences that are isolated paragraphs (eg 'dead as his wives'.), some female characters have voices and narrate themselves whereas others don't (heroine of TBC versus Beauty in TCOML), changes in tenses in the stories (eg Erl-King, changes to future in the end)

thank you!
Reply 999
Original post by bethabbott
Does anyone have some advice on transgression in Faustus/Frankenstein/TBC? This is also a possible question and I want to fully prepare but falling down on getting less obvious points :smile:

Frankenstein - apart from the obvious 'Victor transgresses against god by creating the creature blah blah', you can say the monster himself is transgressing against the boundaries of existence because he's stuck between life and death. He is liminal, with his "yellow skin" which gives the image of death, yet also has "pearly white teeth" and "lustrous" hair! So transgression in this sense creates imagery of a grotesque being and emphasizes the gravity of what Victor has done. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending