The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arfah
Not a bad paper! I thought they were pretty nice particularly in section B. I did Macbeth for section A. I kept my mind open although I was encouraged to do wuthering heights for section A. I thought the Macbeth question was very obvious and no tricks to it. :biggrin: still hoping for low grade boundaries though like last year lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did the macbeth question too:smile: what sort of stuff did you write about? I mainly wrote about the guilty protagonists suffering the most and not much about the innocent wooooops :/
I did The Changeling for Section A (God sent question I swear!) and the one about boundaries between good an bad being blurred for Section B - spoke about Frankenstein, Northanger Abbey & Wuthering Heights. Thought it went alright!
Original post by jesschocolate28
I did bloody chamber for section A which barely anyone did in my school :s-smilie: and good/evil for section B, the questions were so nice! Did anyone else do bloody chamber for section A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did! Nobody else I know did that one either, it seemed quite hard when I first read it but I really liked it when I got started. What did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone do Dr Faustus for section A? How did u find it?
Original post by emmaa11
i did the macbeth question too:smile: what sort of stuff did you write about? I mainly wrote about the guilty protagonists suffering the most and not much about the innocent wooooops :/

I did the same! I based my essays around Macbeth and lady Macbeth saying mainly stuff like how they're mentally disturbed and stuff and even though they get what they want they get it after a lot of pain and torment. Then I said however the witches are arguably the most guilty and they don't suffer. For innocent I only talked a bit about how it's tragic that Duncan knew about the fact that 'there's daggers in men's smiles' yet doesn't see macbeth's evil side. Concluded by saying that the guilty do suffer more than the innocent. So I think I based it more around the guilty tbh but as long as you've put something for the innocent, I'm sure it doesn't matter. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
I did the same! I based my essays around Macbeth and lady Macbeth saying mainly stuff like how they're mentally disturbed and stuff and even though they get what they want they get it after a lot of pain and torment. Then I said however the witches are arguably the most guilty and they don't suffer. For innocent I only talked a bit about how it's tragic that Duncan knew about the fact that 'there's daggers in men's smiles' yet doesn't see macbeth's evil side. Concluded by saying that the guilty do suffer more than the innocent. So I think I based it more around the guilty tbh but as long as you've put something for the innocent, I'm sure it doesn't matter. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah that's such a relief i literally did exactly the same as this haha! best of luck to you
I thought it was quite a decent paper. Did Macbeth for section A- thought it was really accessible as a question and I avoid anything about setting so that ruled out wuthering heights.

Did question 3 on whether gothic protagonists are their own victims for section B.
Did anyone do Frankenstein, Macbeth and the Pardoner's Tale?
Original post by tellmeimmageek
Guys how much of a problem is no conclusion for Section B?

I wouldn't worry, don't think there are many marks for conclusions, last year I didn't put a single one and got what would be an A*
How important is it to mention gothic conventions etc throughout both essays?:s-smilie:
what sort of stuff did people write about for question 21 in the B section (victims)?
Original post by emmaa11
ah that's such a relief i literally did exactly the same as this haha! best of luck to you

:biggrin: thank you! good luck to you as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was beautiful. Much better than I expected. All of the predictions didn't come up so my plans went to waste but it doesn't matter because THESE QUESTIONS WERE SO MUCH BETTER!!! I had actually written one of these ages ago!! My invigilator gave me more time to write at the end but I didn't wrap up as I would have liked. But section A was an absolute banger. I didn't do much on form or structure but I had a lot on language and context, interpretations and critics throughout. Do you guys thing I will be heavily marked down for not defining key terms in the intro although I did throughout? I should have mentioned form more too,ugh. But oh well, what can I do now?

Original post by samanthamg
How important is it to mention gothic conventions etc throughout both essays?

My teachers always bitched about it being really important because this an exam on the gothic after all but you might have done it without realising.
(edited 8 years ago)
IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE PAST PAPERS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone's finishing it easy. My bet 60 for an A :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oliviacl
Did anyone do Dr Faustus for section A? How did u find it?

Yeah I did that one

For the 'agree' bit I wrote that ambition is innate in humanity and his drive to follow through it all could be argued as admirable

But then I said it drives him to evil and the devil blah blah, degrading him to play simple tricks on the pope like a 'subhuman'

How'd you find it?
Original post by arfah
Everyone's finishing it easy. My bet 60 for an A :tongue:
What happens if you only wrote about 2 texts for section B?
Section A I did Macbeth:

I talked about Macbeth's internal struggle about wether or not to kill the king illustrating his guilty thoughts but how it he did it anyway through his ambition, Lady Macbeth and how she only felt guilty afterwards and the quote about trying to wash her hands but neptunes ocean's couldn't do it illustrating the guilt she feels, also how she corrupts macbeth adds to her guilt, the dagger imagination and how that again reflects how he feels guilty, the witches and how they are guilty but Malcolm suffers more than them, Banquo and how again he shows Macbeth's suffering but him stating "blood will have blood" shows his loss of humanity and guilt and then threw in a bit of context about regicide and it makes the crime even worse and adds to his guilt.

Section B, I did The Lady of the house of love, The Snow Child, The Bloody Chamber, Dr Faustus and Macbeth:

Lady of the house of love how the countess is a victim of the supernatural and how she is a tragic hero by not killing the soldier, and then wrote a bit about her house being "a place of annihilation" and how that victim's her as it evokes terror and horror. The snow child how the child's death is because she becomes a woman and the count wanted a "child of desire" and how he is does victim's himself as he has sex with girl and prevails as the only character alive. The bloody chamber about how the Marquis is evil and wrote about his book and graphic novels, then threw in a carter quote about the passive and how arguably the girl is passive, and then a bit at the end about how good triumphs over evil.

Dr Faustus how he defies religion and that being doing this her arguably victim's himself, his waste of powers and female lust, and his refusal to be saved and then a theory during the time by a protestant reformer John Calvin.

Macbeth how he commits regicide, how he is unnatural as he has links with the witches from his opening line and that Malcolm being unnatural from having a c-section defeats Macbeth unnatural stopping the unnatural = order restored and teh fall from being "gentlemen worthy" to a "bloody tyrant" and then concluded by points.
Did anybody else do the murder/death question for part B? I thought it was really interesting and linked well to my texts but I guess it depends - I did Wuthering Heights for part A but mostly just mentioned the atmosphere and people of the houses rather than physical state, couldn't remember any quotes for physical 😕 Got quite a lot on what they represent though so hopefully I'll get a decent mark : )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone seems to be finding it easy. I thought it was ok, but I'm scared now that the boundaries will be high and I didn't do as well as I could have done...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending