The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature B (LITB3): Elements of the Gothic 11th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingaaran
As enlightening, as liberating, as in need to be made unhidden.

Which stories present it in this way? I'm not criticising, I'm genuinely curious. I would say the opposite; the bloody chamber itself is hidden from the narrator and the reader but the horror and terror associated with it and the feel of descending into hell as the narrator goes down presents it as something that we don't really want to know about. Plus, it is because the narrator finds the chamber that the Marquis tries to kill her. Although, I guess you could argue that the chamber is something that, while unpleasant, needs to be found to reveal the truth about the Marquis.

(I only study The Bloody Chamber, The Snow Child, The Werewolf, The Company of Wolves, The Erl-King and The Lady of the House of Love though so it may be in other stories that the hidden is presented as enlightening as you say.)
Original post by CathyHeathcliff
Which stories present it in this way? I'm not criticising, I'm genuinely curious. I would say the opposite; the bloody chamber itself is hidden from the narrator and the reader but the horror and terror associated with it and the feel of descending into hell as the narrator goes down presents it as something that we don't really want to know about. Plus, it is because the narrator finds the chamber that the Marquis tries to kill her. Although, I guess you could argue that the chamber is something that, while unpleasant, needs to be found to reveal the truth about the Marquis.

(I only study The Bloody Chamber, The Snow Child, The Werewolf, The Company of Wolves, The Erl-King and The Lady of the House of Love though so it may be in other stories that the hidden is presented as enlightening as you say.)

In The Bloody Chamber, the narrator travels down the stairs that 'wound downstairs', into a tomb-like room, and there are macabre allusions to Medieval torture routines. It is undeniably horrifying and the images of violence and blood are not meant to excite us, but reveal the depravity of not just the Marquis, but the psyche in general.

However, it is enlightening for the protagonist. Unlike the other wives of the Marquis who 'smile' at their subordination, her 'first thought was how to escape it' - 'it' being this submission to male patriarchy. Her realisation of her position within a patriarchal society allows her to use the male gaze to empower herself - to liberate and enlighten herself from it.

In 'The Tiger's Bride', it is only once the protagonist sees the Beast without his 'uncanny mask' can she then approach him and gain the confidence to express her own inner bestial nature at the end of the story. She is only aware of 'debauchery' at the beginning, but through exploring her unknown sexuality and desires, she is able to, almost, be born again with her 'nascent patina of shining hairs'. This links in with the pun in the title 'The Bloody Chamber', alluding, perhaps, to a womb and this idea of being reborn and discovering yourself.

In 'The Erl King', the entire sylvan setting can be read psychoanalytically as a representation of the subconscious desires of the protagonist. The erlking is not real, she doesn't actually explore a forest, but the entire story is an exploration of imagination, a coming of age. The 'nicotine stained fingers' of the sun highlight this sense of addiction and reinforce the idea that this story is predominately psychological. The 'caged birds' that are actually women can then be read as a metaphor for the fear of being trapped by the male gaze. Yet, by exploring the unknown realms of her subconscious, Carter shows how her protagonist can choose to be resistant to them. The erlking is an ideology, a symbol of the male gaze and subordination, and having 'killed' him at the end, the protagonist can be seen to effectively enlighten herself to a new type of living; unlike the women in the caged birds, her active exploration of the unknown and her hidden desires allows her to realise that she can be free from this subordination.

I don't think 'The Company of Wolves' deals with the unknown in very much depth, as do the other stories, but the whole idea of the protagonist choosing to look beyond the 'old wives' tales' about the wolves and taking control of herself - 'she knew she was nobody's meat' - can once again be a subtle implication of this idea that exploring the unknown can be enlightening and allow us to find new, exciting ways of living that we, perhaps, would not have thought about.

I very much think that Carter encourages transgression away from conformity within her stories. She shows that adhering to conformity and passively accepting to be the object of desire is self-destructive. If the readers, however, like her protagonists, use the male gaze to empower themselves and actively embrace their individuality, they are seen to be much happier. Her stories do not question gender roles as much, in the same way that I think it is not very good to label Carter as a feminist critic, but she questions humanity and what exactly it means to be a human. Her protagonists are seen to take control of their density and challenge social oppressions upon them and this is what Carter seems to encourage her readers to do.
I was reading back a few pages and saw somebody say about only needing a E or D in the A2 exam if you achieved a high A at AS and full marks on coursework. What mark would be considered a high A at AS? In ums of raw marks.
Hi I'm studying Macbeth, Frankenstein and Dr Faustus. Was just wondering if anyone has any good revision tools. I need help to get into mark band 5
Original post by Munch98
Hi does anyone have the questions for the june 2015 past paper, i have a mock on tuesday and have a feeling the paper is going to come up!

I study Frankenstein, Macbeth, Bloody Chamber and the section b question if anyone has it! Thanks

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-LITB3-QP-JUN15.PDF
Original post by rb123456
Hi I'm studying Macbeth, Frankenstein and Dr Faustus. Was just wondering if anyone has any good revision tools. I need help to get into mark band 5

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2579018&page=5

This is something I did when I did this subject 2 years ago, it's a three way table featuring themes and motifs in the gothic genre. It's the 16th one down. Nothing on Macbeth as I didn't study it for this module, but I do have stuff on Frankenstein and Faustus
Would anyone be able to look at this please and see what band they would give it or some advice. I have only done two out of the three texts for the section B as I didn't feel like I was going a long the right lines. Tips for section B in general will be very useful also. I find myself doing so many practice essays but not improving. Please help! Thank you.

"If a text is to be labelled as Gothic, it must convey a sense of fear and terror.” Discuss this view in relation to the texts you have been studying.

In order to address the question, the gothic tropes of fear and terror but first be defined. It could be considered that fear stems from terror where it is the unpleasant thought of danger or pain being inflicted upon a being. Terror is defined by gothic writer Radcliffe as the aesthetic quality of a certain object or being that permits a reaction of a more psychological sense, which is profound fear or dead and are contrived through our own cultural and social backgrounds. As a reader it could be viewed as blatant that if fear and terror are not included within a gothic novel, then essentially there is a loss of a popular and well worn gothic trope. However, it could be argued in order to be labelled as truly gothic, the texts should portray not only fear and terror but horror also. Horror is the physical reaction of something that is grotesque, e.g. cannibalism or necrophilia. It could be argued fear, terror and horror must be used simultaneously within gothic writing to omit a certain reaction from the reader's and to be classed as truly gothic. It may depend on other included gothic tropes however that would make a reader question the true label of the gothic.
In Marlowe's 16th century play 'Doctor Faustus' the fear and terror are created through the foreshadowing over Faustus' fatal and somewhat tragic demise of being dragged and trapped in "ugly hell" "eternally". Structurally Marlowe includes the prologue where in which the chorus pre-tell the inevitable fate of Faustus, where his "waxen wings did not mount above his reach". Although the inevitability of Faustus' death is apparent due to the foreshadowing, a heightened sense of fear and terror is created for an audience as to how Faustus will die. Anxieties and fears may have also been created from an audience viewpoint due to the fact that hell was viewed as a literal place beneath the earth, so the notion that there is a possibility of a character being physically dragged down there would have created heightened suspense and terror for a highly religious and orthodox Elizabethan audience at the time. One interpretation is that it may not be the foreshadowing of Faustus' death which is terrifying, but actually Faustus' desire to be "resolved of all ambiguities". Marlowe presents him as a promethean figure with arrogant characteristics, thus it is Faustus' hubris and potentially to want to become as powerful and knowledgeable as God in return for selling his soul for "four and twenty years" which may terrify the audience more.
Despite this, albeit terrifying for the audience, it could be argued that without the horrific details included that will happen to Lucifer, the fear factor and dramatised staging of the play could have made it less of a gothic text. The inclusion of horror emphasises Faustus' turmoil and shocks the audience. Marlowe uses foreshadowing structurally through comic sub plots with Robin and Rafe and Wagner which highlight Faustus' own foolishness but his also highly gruesome fate, " tear thy flesh into a piecemeal" and "oh my leg, my leg" being ripped off by the horse courser for doing a 'dodgy' deal encapsulates the typical sense of the gothic which foreshadows his own gruesome fate. The end line of "Ah! Mephistopheles!" could imply the physical pain in which Faustus is receiving from being tortured within hell, or actually the psychological tortures he will receive from not repenting. Yet, it could be argued that the terror and horror used within the play are inextricable as Marlowe stylistically uses terror to create tension in the lead up to the more horrific and grotesque events of Faustus' dismemberment, potentially where Marlowe uses both to convey a sense of the gothic within the play to excite and shock the audience. A more contemporary audience may be less effected by the use of fear and terror within the play as more secularisation of religious views has deemed that not everyone will go to hell if they sin. The ambivalent nature of the play, depending on the type of audience, also whether it applies to the A or B text need to be considered when addressing the issue of fear and terror and whether or not the writer sets out what they tend to do in creating drama and suspense for the audience.

Within Shelley's 19th century Frankenstein, the use of fear and terror is frequently embedded but also depends on the product of reception of the audience as well as the time of readership. The thought of usurping the role of God in order to create another human life where a "new species would bless me as its creator" is ultimately shocking for a reader and what Shelley sets up in the first few chapters what the protagonist Frankenstein intends to do. The notion of fear and terror is created through the use of the embedded frame narrative of Walton in the epistolary from narrative. Shelley draws parallels between Walton and Frankenstein, as they are both over ambitious in the "acquirement of knowledge" as with the desire to learn more. Fear and terror are created as Frankenstein warns Walton the dangers of acquiring knowledge which is beyond human limitations through cautioning and melancholy language "hope that the gratification of your wishes may not be a serpent to sting you, as mine has been". With reference to the serpent, the reader can draw conclusions between Adam, Eve and Lucifer from 'Paradise Lost' where Frankenstein's own curiosity got the better of him, as did Adam and Eve's leading towards a terrible consequence. It is the forewarning of danger and consequence that creates tension from a reader's perspective as well as suspense in the mysterious but inevitable events likely to occur. Some have stated Shelley wrote the novel, to warn 'normal' human beings the dangers of science, creating tension and terror within society of how it can go disastrously wrong.
The creation of the monster, is not only fearful and terrifying for the reader, but something horrific, "too horrible for human eyes". Shelley includes horrific detail of the monster's "straight black lips" and "watery eyed" to shock the reader and remind them of the monstrosity society may face if you try to usurp the role of God and ambitions become too high. However, one interpretation is that it's not the monster's horrific and "gigantic" frame which deems the text to be labelled a gothic but the fear and terror Shelley encapsulates surrounding the Monster's threats and torments. Atypically, the monster becomes the tyrant and Frankenstein the victim towards the end of the novel. The threats of "I will be with you on your wedding night" and the threats of "destruction" render more suspense and tension towards the murder of Frankenstein's inadvertedly "unhallowed" victims. The psychological impact this has on the protagonist is immense causing his dreams to become disturbed with the "corpse of his dead mother" yet also "unable to compose my mind to sleep" causing distress and terror as to what is to foreshadow from a reader's perspective.
However, it could be argued, although typically gothic, the language used surrounding the threats and torments of fear and terror are melodramatic and thus verge on comical. It is ironic that the fear and terror of Frankenstein is the belief that he will kill him on his wedding night, when really he is blinded by his own hubris to distinguish this being the death of Elizabeth. Dramatic effect is used through this language to prevail terror, however, as a reader it may be deemed too dramatic to actually arise any fear or terror whatsoever. There is something ironic with the monster stating "You are my creator- but I am your master- Obey!" and "slave", where terror may be created but also humour as Shelley presents Frankenstein helpless and unable to control the situation he is in, even though it is his own creation.
Original post by lydkeeley
Would anyone be able to look at this please and see what band they would give it or some advice. I have only done two out of the three texts for the section B as I didn't feel like I was going a long the right lines. Tips for section B in general will be very useful also. I find myself doing so many practice essays but not improving. Please help! Thank you.

"If a text is to be labelled as Gothic, it must convey a sense of fear and terror.” Discuss this view in relation to the texts you have been studying.

In order to address the question, the gothic tropes of fear and terror but first be defined. It could be considered that fear stems from terror where it is the unpleasant thought of danger or pain being inflicted upon a being. Terror is defined by gothic writer Radcliffe as the aesthetic quality of a certain object or being that permits a reaction of a more psychological sense, which is profound fear or dead and are contrived through our own cultural and social backgrounds. As a reader it could be viewed as blatant that if fear and terror are not included within a gothic novel, then essentially there is a loss of a popular and well worn gothic trope. However, it could be argued in order to be labelled as truly gothic, the texts should portray not only fear and terror but horror also. Horror is the physical reaction of something that is grotesque, e.g. cannibalism or necrophilia. It could be argued fear, terror and horror must be used simultaneously within gothic writing to omit a certain reaction from the reader's and to be classed as truly gothic. It may depend on other included gothic tropes however that would make a reader question the true label of the gothic.
In Marlowe's 16th century play 'Doctor Faustus' the fear and terror are created through the foreshadowing over Faustus' fatal and somewhat tragic demise of being dragged and trapped in "ugly hell" "eternally". Structurally Marlowe includes the prologue where in which the chorus pre-tell the inevitable fate of Faustus, where his "waxen wings did not mount above his reach". Although the inevitability of Faustus' death is apparent due to the foreshadowing, a heightened sense of fear and terror is created for an audience as to how Faustus will die. Anxieties and fears may have also been created from an audience viewpoint due to the fact that hell was viewed as a literal place beneath the earth, so the notion that there is a possibility of a character being physically dragged down there would have created heightened suspense and terror for a highly religious and orthodox Elizabethan audience at the time. One interpretation is that it may not be the foreshadowing of Faustus' death which is terrifying, but actually Faustus' desire to be "resolved of all ambiguities". Marlowe presents him as a promethean figure with arrogant characteristics, thus it is Faustus' hubris and potentially to want to become as powerful and knowledgeable as God in return for selling his soul for "four and twenty years" which may terrify the audience more.
Despite this, albeit terrifying for the audience, it could be argued that without the horrific details included that will happen to Lucifer, the fear factor and dramatised staging of the play could have made it less of a gothic text. The inclusion of horror emphasises Faustus' turmoil and shocks the audience. Marlowe uses foreshadowing structurally through comic sub plots with Robin and Rafe and Wagner which highlight Faustus' own foolishness but his also highly gruesome fate, " tear thy flesh into a piecemeal" and "oh my leg, my leg" being ripped off by the horse courser for doing a 'dodgy' deal encapsulates the typical sense of the gothic which foreshadows his own gruesome fate. The end line of "Ah! Mephistopheles!" could imply the physical pain in which Faustus is receiving from being tortured within hell, or actually the psychological tortures he will receive from not repenting. Yet, it could be argued that the terror and horror used within the play are inextricable as Marlowe stylistically uses terror to create tension in the lead up to the more horrific and grotesque events of Faustus' dismemberment, potentially where Marlowe uses both to convey a sense of the gothic within the play to excite and shock the audience. A more contemporary audience may be less effected by the use of fear and terror within the play as more secularisation of religious views has deemed that not everyone will go to hell if they sin. The ambivalent nature of the play, depending on the type of audience, also whether it applies to the A or B text need to be considered when addressing the issue of fear and terror and whether or not the writer sets out what they tend to do in creating drama and suspense for the audience.

Within Shelley's 19th century Frankenstein, the use of fear and terror is frequently embedded but also depends on the product of reception of the audience as well as the time of readership. The thought of usurping the role of God in order to create another human life where a "new species would bless me as its creator" is ultimately shocking for a reader and what Shelley sets up in the first few chapters what the protagonist Frankenstein intends to do. The notion of fear and terror is created through the use of the embedded frame narrative of Walton in the epistolary from narrative. Shelley draws parallels between Walton and Frankenstein, as they are both over ambitious in the "acquirement of knowledge" as with the desire to learn more. Fear and terror are created as Frankenstein warns Walton the dangers of acquiring knowledge which is beyond human limitations through cautioning and melancholy language "hope that the gratification of your wishes may not be a serpent to sting you, as mine has been". With reference to the serpent, the reader can draw conclusions between Adam, Eve and Lucifer from 'Paradise Lost' where Frankenstein's own curiosity got the better of him, as did Adam and Eve's leading towards a terrible consequence. It is the forewarning of danger and consequence that creates tension from a reader's perspective as well as suspense in the mysterious but inevitable events likely to occur. Some have stated Shelley wrote the novel, to warn 'normal' human beings the dangers of science, creating tension and terror within society of how it can go disastrously wrong.
The creation of the monster, is not only fearful and terrifying for the reader, but something horrific, "too horrible for human eyes". Shelley includes horrific detail of the monster's "straight black lips" and "watery eyed" to shock the reader and remind them of the monstrosity society may face if you try to usurp the role of God and ambitions become too high. However, one interpretation is that it's not the monster's horrific and "gigantic" frame which deems the text to be labelled a gothic but the fear and terror Shelley encapsulates surrounding the Monster's threats and torments. Atypically, the monster becomes the tyrant and Frankenstein the victim towards the end of the novel. The threats of "I will be with you on your wedding night" and the threats of "destruction" render more suspense and tension towards the murder of Frankenstein's inadvertedly "unhallowed" victims. The psychological impact this has on the protagonist is immense causing his dreams to become disturbed with the "corpse of his dead mother" yet also "unable to compose my mind to sleep" causing distress and terror as to what is to foreshadow from a reader's perspective.
However, it could be argued, although typically gothic, the language used surrounding the threats and torments of fear and terror are melodramatic and thus verge on comical. It is ironic that the fear and terror of Frankenstein is the belief that he will kill him on his wedding night, when really he is blinded by his own hubris to distinguish this being the death of Elizabeth. Dramatic effect is used through this language to prevail terror, however, as a reader it may be deemed too dramatic to actually arise any fear or terror whatsoever. There is something ironic with the monster stating "You are my creator- but I am your master- Obey!" and "slave", where terror may be created but also humour as Shelley presents Frankenstein helpless and unable to control the situation he is in, even though it is his own creation.

Hello,

I'm sitting this exam this year as well!

I took a read through your essay, and I thought it was great! From what I have read so far, if you were to carry on writing - adding in your third text, I would give it a band 5! But at the end of the day, I wouldn't totally trust my marking as i'm only student like you haha!

However, I felt you had a nice even spread of A03 and A04. It was nice and easy to read the it was well structured.

There were some areas where I felt you could like add in some more A02, doing word level analysis on more than just one occasion, but you had the form and structured part of A02 through out your essay! Also, you could simplify your introduction so you have more time to focus on the essay it self, and maybe introduce the texts here so the examiner is prepared for which ones you have chosen.

Some tips for section B....
How do you plan your section B's?

I know that I find doing a table format between the three texts allows me to make comparisons and pick and choose easily between all the ideas and points I have put down. And then I take these ideas and list them from 1-6 or 1-5 depending on how many points I have. This could act as a summary of your ideas to help bring them all together, making the writing process easier.

I then find its good to do two paragraphs on each of the texts, if you have enough time and have quotes for each of the points.

My teachers have also suggested a structure to each paragraph, which is just based up doing A02, A03 then A04, this then ensures you get a zoom in zoom out approach to the essay.

Another tip, is to try and make links between texts if you can, rather than writing it as three mini essays- it has to flow as an essay on its own despite being about three texts!

If you can also, maybe you could learn like 3 critics per text, as this would then cover A03- for different perspectives.

I have no idea if this will help, I just know this is how I would go about it, haha!

But I wish you luck with the exam, i'm sure it will go great for you!!

Fiona
Regarding section B essays, when forming an argument do you write a paragraph for a contrasting view and argue this or merely write a line or two within your first paragraph stating an argument against your view before sweepingly arguing against this?
To put it another way, do you make the argument brief in a section B or go into it as much as you would for a section A response?
Hi, I'm studying Dr Faustus, Frankenstein and The Bloody Chamber for this exam. Does anyone have any good quotes/interpretations regarding the supernatural in Frankenstein? :smile:
Hi does anyone have any tips for analysis and evaluation? Would be much appreciated as I'm trying to reach band 5 and 6. Thanks!
Original post by Charlotte132
Hi does anyone have any tips for analysis and evaluation? Would be much appreciated as I'm trying to reach band 5 and 6. Thanks!

Try to include multiple interpretations of the meaning in the stories and also specifically describing what effect certain words have is good.

For evaluation I would say to say what the writer is trying to say behind the quote/novel and why they are doing it, also linking to other Gothic texts. :smile:
Can anyone help me with religion presented in wuthering heights, bloody chamber and dr Faustus?
Also in terms of dr Faustus being a morality play, what is the significance and how does the play share similarities and differences with a morality play and why?
Thanksss
Original post by kizzaaaaaaa
Can anyone help me with religion presented in wuthering heights, bloody chamber and dr Faustus?
Also in terms of dr Faustus being a morality play, what is the significance and how does the play share similarities and differences with a morality play and why?
Thanksss

I don't study Wuthering Heights, but religion in TBC could maybe be linked to the patriarchal systems we see across the texts, as these can be traced back to religious doctrines and teachings. This is shown in the title story, where the Marquis calls his wife his 'little nun', and his books 'prayerbooks', thus strengthening the link between religion and the objectification of women. You could even discuss how Carter seems to reject religion in The Company of Wolves, as the grandma desperately throws her bible at the wolf, but is still not safe from him. For Dr Faustus, although Marlowe was rumoured to have been atheist, I think the moral message is very orthodox and religious, in terms of avoiding practising 'more than heavenly power permits'. You could talk about the absence of God across the text as potentially suggesting the cruelty of religion as Faustus is arguably alone, however it could also be used to show how we must have faith in God, despite whether we can directly see him, like the Old Man does at the end. In terms of being a morality play, Faustus could be seen as an Everyman character due to the inner turmoil he experiences, and which we can relate to as humans with our own weaknesses and errors. However, Marlowe subverts the typical morality play ending as Faustus does not repent, but instead is damned, meaning the reader/audience is not given the comfort of God rescuing Faustus' 'distressed soul'. This may function to make us even more likely to listen to the moral message about not transgressing earthly boundaries.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by molliegeorgiou
I don't study Wuthering Heights, but religion in TBC could maybe be linked to the patriarchal systems we see across the texts, as these can be traced back to religious doctrines and teachings. This is shown in the title story, where the Marquis calls his wife his 'little nun', and his books 'prayerbooks', thus strengthening the link between religion and the objectification of women. You could even discuss how Carter seems to reject religion in The Company of Wolves, as the grandma desperately throws her bible at the wolf, but is still not safe from him. For Dr Faustus, although Marlowe was rumoured to have been atheist, I think the moral message is very orthodox and religious, in terms of avoiding practising 'more than heavenly power permits'. You could talk about the absence of God across the text as potentially suggesting the cruelty of religion as Faustus is arguably alone, however it could also be used to show how we must have faith in God, despite whether we can directly see him, like the Old Man does at the end. In terms of being a morality play, Faustus could be seen as an Everyman character due to the inner turmoil he experiences, and which we can relate to as humans with our own weaknesses and errors. However, Marlowe subverts the typical morality play ending as Faustus does not repent, but instead is damned, meaning the reader/audience is not given the comfort of God rescuing Faustus' 'distressed soul'. This may function to make us even more likely to listen to the moral message about not transgressing earthly boundaries.

Hope that helps! :smile:

That was really helpful thanks! Also I know the basic meanings of tigers bride and courtship of mr Lyon in the bloody chamber but could you help me with the real significance of them and why they are partner stories?
Hey! Just wondering if you have to include context in section A to enter a high band e.g. Band 5 ? I'm panicking as I can't remember if I wrote about any section A context, and unsure whether I'll get marks deducted because of it. Can I still enter a higher band if there's no context discussed?:frown::s-smilie:
Just realised I spelt the 'Marquis' wrong for the whole exam ffs (put the Marquie).
Does anyone think I'd lose many marks for this?
Original post by RedRum99
Just realised I spelt the 'Marquis' wrong for the whole exam ffs (put the Marquie).
Does anyone think I'd lose many marks for this?

Haha, I don't think so!! Maybe one if they're feeling very harsh, but I think they are only meant to deduct marks for SPaG if it inhibits what you are saying. They may not even notice or think your e's look like s's. Don't worry about it!

If that's your only worry, then I think you will be fine!
Original post by CathyHeathcliff
Haha, I don't think so!! Maybe one if they're feeling very harsh, but I think they are only meant to deduct marks for SPaG if it inhibits what you are saying. They may not even notice or think your e's look like s's. Don't worry about it!

If that's your only worry, then I think you will be fine!

Still feel like a fool though!!!
The question was about to what extent Faustus is shown by Marlowe to be justly punished for his sins, so I planned my points like so:

I introduced Faustus as indistinguishable from Icarus because they're mentioned in the same prose so really he was inevitable to fall under the same sin
For - arrogant character, callous to everyone, wanted the old man tortured, "the word damnation terrifies not him" etc
For - didn't want to repent although warned numerous times
"Faustus shall ne'er repent" etc
Against - god should be merciful, Calvinism believes we are predispositioned etc "I would lift my hands up but they hold them"
Against - maybe he acted out of fear although wanted to repent, like William Pyanne was a Puritan who watched the play and said the appearance of the devil made the actors break character and pray out of fear so I said maybe this was the case for Faustus considering he too also showed desperate apologies when he was threatened against breaking the bargain etc

Don't think I emphasised Marlowe really
though :frown:

I did the death section B:

Wuthering Heights:
Emphasised Heathcliff and Cathy's obsession "nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us" etc, also has domino effect on other characters such as Linton who is a mistreated "whelp" because of the "memory he revives", and young Cathy with the slaps, and then how he said he was "in hell yesterday but today nearer to his heaven" so death brought not only revenge but tranquility and relief, then linked that to..
Frankenstein: "seek happiness in tranquility, not in knowledge" and then how him and the creature wanted Death and again like WH sparked revenge: "mind bent towards injury and death", the irony of the fact that death haunted victor throughout, and how death caused his trouble - the dead beings brought to life in the form of the creature, and how when the creature kills, they both become what they despise and keep completing the cycle of death such as destroying the female creature and eventually themselves wanting the release of death then...
Faustus: flipped to say he wants rid of death and is terrified etc (can't really remember much else)

Said it was "important", "key", "significant" etc and mentioned its role as a main Gothic element/convention too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending