The Student Room Group

Advice for Drama GCSE?

Hi,
I've decided to take drama as one of my GCSE OPTIONS.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/techniques for the theory and practical side of Drama.

I'm not sure what exam board I'm with but I know that the course is made up of:
70% practical work (assessed performances in class and to an audience)
30% written work (all coursework no written exam)

Also does anyone know how much BYT (beck youth theatre) is? I'm contemplating joining BYT as it would help my drama/ performance skills tremendously.
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/techniques for the theory and practical side of Drama.

Also does anyone know how much BYT (beck youth theatre) is? I'm contemplating joining BYT as it would help my drama/ performance skills tremendously.

You may be doing Edexcel, it matches the percentages. You do have to do a practical exam (mine's in 20 days) and you'll be able to find plenty of free places to go extra-curricular without paying. I just advised that if you enjoy drama outside of school it shall benefit you, and you'll have a better chance of getting an A*. Don't pick it for a sit-off because you'll be severely disappointed. The skills you gain can get you an A*, if you haven't got those skills you have no hope.

Have fun
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
You may be doing Edexcel, it matches the percentages. You do have to do a practical exam (mine's in 20 days) and you'll be able to find plenty of free places to go extra-curricular without paying. I just advised that if you enjoy drama outside of school it shall benefit you, and you'll have a better chance of getting an A*. Don't pick it for a sit-off because you'll be severely disappointed. The skills you gain can get you an A*, if you haven't got those skills you have no hope.

Have fun

Thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Good luck for your exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RXMXXKX
Hi,

Hi, I'm in year 11 just finishing up GCSE drama. I think the percentages might also match OCR's specification, which is what I'm doing. :smile: It's split up into 3 units: Page to Stage (30%), Drama in the Making (30%) and Concept to Creation (40% - and the exam I'll be be taking in a month or so :s-smilie:). The practical/written marks still work out as 70/30 though, and the entirety of the last unit is assessed by an examiner. All of these ratios match Edexcel - so it could be either - but the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.

As for advice, we've been told the depth of a piece can really affect your mark. Using lots of non-naturalistic, abstract techniques not only show you are thinking deeper, but it gives you quite a lot more symbolism to talk about in the written sections too. We've also been told by teachers and previous students not to neglect the written work. Although it's quite a small percentage, grade boundaries for drama are usually pretty high - so a couple of marks could make all the difference.

All extra-curricular drama stuff is useful (and really fun) experience, so I'd definitely have a look at that youth theatre. :biggrin: Drama is a generally fun subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Reply 4
Original post by pursuedbyabear
Hi, I'm in year 11 just finishing up GCSE drama. I think the percentages might also match OCR's specification, which is what I'm doing. :smile: It's split up into 3 units: Page to Stage (30%), Drama in the Making (30%) and Concept to Creation (40% - and the exam I'll be be taking in a month or so :s-smilie:). The practical/written marks still work out as 70/30 though, and the entirety of the last unit is assessed by an examiner. All of these ratios match Edexcel - so it could be either - but the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.

As for advice, we've been told the depth of a piece can really affect your mark. Using lots of non-naturalistic, abstract techniques not only show you are thinking deeper, but it gives you quite a lot more symbolism to talk about in the written sections too. We've also been told by teachers and previous students not to neglect the written work. Although it's quite a small percentage, grade boundaries for drama are usually pretty high - so a couple of marks could make all the difference.

All extra-curricular drama stuff is useful (and really fun) experience, so I'd definitely have a look at that youth theatre. :biggrin: Drama is a generally fun subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Okay, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RXMXXKX
Thank you so much for the advice. Good luck for your exam!

Cheers, got an A- in November and its the same play as then so I'm looking hopeful. It's incredibly hard to get an A* in the exam unit.

The exam I'll be be taking in a month

Good luck to you too.
But the unit titles (and content I guess) are different.

The content certainly is different.
All extra-curricular drama stuff is useful (and really fun) experience, so I'd definitely have a look at that youth theatre. Drama is a generally fun subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Here here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending