The Student Room Group

Is gcse drama a good gcse (and is it possible to get a 9)?

So I'm choosing my gcse options (I'm in y9) , and I'm a *really* academic person, I do great with sciences and maths and english and history and geography (have to choose between the two humanities) and other academics. So I'm aiming really high for myself (8s and 9s but more of the latter). Nevertheless, I like drama a lot. It's one of my favourite subjects (including the essay writing and definitely the acting) and I was going to take it for gcse, but I'm not sure I should. For context, I'd love to be a famous actor when I'm older, but it's so unrealistic that I'll probably go into STEM or Law (which I also love so its fine!) So, after listening to all this, will drama be a good gcse for a very academically inclined but slightly creative idiot? I'd love to hear experiences and if it's good or not! (If I don't take drama, my gcse options will likely be triple science, spanish, comp, history, geo and if I do, I'll swap out a humanity). Thanks for the help everyone
Reply 1
bro just take it
it's fun if u like acting, and since 40% is writing and u seem to like essays, u're literally fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Ra_Ar
bro just take it
it's fun if u like acting, and since 40% is writing and u seem to like essays, u're literally fine.

thanks that was weirdly reassuring
Original post by i_am_a_potato
So I'm choosing my gcse options (I'm in y9) , and I'm a *really* academic person, I do great with sciences and maths and english and history and geography (have to choose between the two humanities) and other academics. So I'm aiming really high for myself (8s and 9s but more of the latter). Nevertheless, I like drama a lot. It's one of my favourite subjects (including the essay writing and definitely the acting) and I was going to take it for gcse, but I'm not sure I should. For context, I'd love to be a famous actor when I'm older, but it's so unrealistic that I'll probably go into STEM or Law (which I also love so its fine!) So, after listening to all this, will drama be a good gcse for a very academically inclined but slightly creative idiot? I'd love to hear experiences and if it's good or not! (If I don't take drama, my gcse options will likely be triple science, spanish, comp, history, geo and if I do, I'll swap out a humanity). Thanks for the help everyone

honestly i would its one of my favourite subjects still even in yr 11 it also gives a bit of a break compared to my other subjects, ive found that the essay side of it is actually really easy and im able to get a 9 even though english is not one of my strongest subjects. the acting side of it is also a lot of fun and you are given a lot of creative freedom in what you want to do.

Hi there!

I’m currently a third year actor-musician training at Guildford School of Acting, and I did drama GCSE and I wouldn’t be where I am today without it! It was fun, creative and positively challenging. This is the age where it’s best just to try things out and enjoy it for what it is, without having the pressure of needing to choose it as an actual career choice yet. Who knows, you may find that after doing the GCSE you’re not so keen on it and you end up leaning more towards your favourite academic subjects by the time you leave school. But equally you may find you love it even more than you thought! But now is the perfect time to figure that out - there aren’t any consequences of just giving it a go!

Hopefully this advice is helpful, but I’m sure whatever you decide to do is the right one for you! Best of luck with it all :smile:

Best wishes,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year
Reply 5

Hi!
I would really recommend you to take drama. I did it for my GCSEs last year and it was one of my favourite subjects in year 11 because it was a break from all the academics and memorization from the other subjects. The acting aspect of the course is very fun and creative, as long as your group members are motivated, you' ll have a great time. The writing aspect is fairly easy and for me, I did Eduqas, the exam was open book so I had to do very little revision for the written exam. Getting an 8 or 9 is definitely possible if you work hard for it, I got an 8 and it was definitely worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest