The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computing June 2014 paper

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by iEthan
Wait… you’re doing the Javascript one?! (I assumed you were taking OCR, sorry!) Python is annoying, but I wouldn’t say it’s massively difficult. If you’re not OCR, what have you got to do?

No! I am doing OCR and there are two controlled assesments one that took place in year 10 which WAS the -Javascript one
and one in year 11- Which is Python

Both unfinished = Doomed
Original post by humzzay
No! I am doing OCR and there are two controlled assesments one that took place in year 10 which WAS the -Javascript one
and one in year 11- Which is Python

Both unfinished = Doomed

You realise they pulled the Javascript coursework, right? It’s not submittable as far as we were told. You might want to speak to your Computing teacher. The Python one is so tedious. Hated it.
Original post by humzzay
Omg i have my last lesson for my computing course work! i really find ocmputing hard how did you pass! i want an A-A* But im so scared that my course work will bring me down because the the tasks are SO HARD!
Iv been wanting the code forever! And im so stuck! from my year 10 one!
:frown:((((((( im afraid my course work will bring me down.

You should have asked to do MIT App Inventor 2, I sucked at LMC so my teacher allowed me to App Inventor and I did great!
Reply 23
Original post by iEthan
You realise they pulled the Javascript coursework, right? It’s not submittable as far as we were told. You might want to speak to your Computing teacher. The Python one is so tedious. Hated it.

wait what. :| My teacher just mentioned that in the class no one is allowed to have the same type of coding. she didnt say anything about it being pulled ?

and the python one were probaly doing the same right?
are you creating a Arithmetic questions :

This is my python one- The last task is SO HARD! - any idea how to the pesduocode or flowchart-(excuse my spellings real rush atm)

Candidates should complete all tasks and provide evidence to meet all the marking criteria.
For the following scenario analyse the detailed requirements for each situation and, using suitable
algorithms, design a solution to be coded in a suitable high-level programming language. Show the
iterative development of the individual solutions with suitable testing throughout the process. Test
the final products and evaluate your solutions against the detailed requirements you identified in the
analysis.
The results for a task may be used without further testing in any subsequent task, or each of the tasks
may be solved as a separate system.
Arithmetic quiz
Task 1
A primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.
The program should generate a quiz consisting of a series of random questions, using in each case
any two numbers and addition, subtraction and multiplication. The system should ask the student’s
name, then ask 10 questions, output if the answer to each question is correct or not and produce a final
score out of 10.
Analyse the requirements in detail and design, code, test and evaluate a program to meet these
requirements.
Task 2
The teacher wants to keep track of the scores each member of the class obtains in the quiz. There are
three classes in the school and the data should be kept separately for each class.
Analyse the requirements in detail for this program and design, code, test and evaluate a program that
will record and store the data for three separate classes of students using the arithmetic quiz.
Task 3
The teacher wants to use the results from students taking these quizzes to log their performance. The
system should store the last three scores for each student. The teacher would like to be able to output
the results of the quiz for a particular class, sorted:
in alphabetical order with each student’s highest score for the tests
by the highest score, highest to lowest
by the average score, highest to lowest.
Analyse the requirements in detail for this program and design, code, test and evaluate a program that
will allow the teacher to select which class group to look at and which field to use when sorting the
output data.
Reply 24
Original post by KoolKid98189
You should have asked to do MIT App Inventor 2, I sucked at LMC so my teacher allowed me to App Inventor and I did great!

I never really had a choice though :/

MITAI2 is still AWFUL though. I slagged it off so much in my practical investigation! :biggrin:
Original post by humzzay
wait what. :| My teacher just mentioned that in the class no one is allowed to have the same type of coding. she didnt say anything about it being pulled ?

and the python one were probaly doing the same right?
are you creating a Arithmetic questions :

This is my python one- The last task is SO HARD! - any idea how to the pesduocode or flowchart-(excuse my spellings real rush atm)

Candidates should complete all tasks and provide evidence to meet all the marking criteria.
For the following scenario analyse the detailed requirements for each situation and, using suitable
algorithms, design a solution to be coded in a suitable high-level programming language. Show the
iterative development of the individual solutions with suitable testing throughout the process. Test
the final products and evaluate your solutions against the detailed requirements you identified in the
analysis.
The results for a task may be used without further testing in any subsequent task, or each of the tasks
may be solved as a separate system.
Arithmetic quiz
Task 1
A primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.
The program should generate a quiz consisting of a series of random questions, using in each case
any two numbers and addition, subtraction and multiplication. The system should ask the student’s
name, then ask 10 questions, output if the answer to each question is correct or not and produce a final
score out of 10.
Analyse the requirements in detail and design, code, test and evaluate a program to meet these
requirements.
Task 2
The teacher wants to keep track of the scores each member of the class obtains in the quiz. There are
three classes in the school and the data should be kept separately for each class.
will record and store the data for three separate classes of students using the arithmetic quiz.
Task 3
The teacher wants to use the results from students taking these quizzes to log their performance. The
system should store the last three scores for each student. The teacher would like to be able to output
the results of the quiz for a particular class, sorted:
in alphabetical order with each student’s highest score for the tests
by the highest score, highest to lowest
by the average score, highest to lowest.
will allow the teacher to select which class group to look at and which field to use when sorting the
output data.

These tasks are entirely different to mine, I’m sorry! However pseudo is always the way to go. Essentially you simplify the terms (I’ve always coded first, then done my pseudo because I’m very lazy) used in your code and even if it’s not exact because it’s only GCSE you’ll be absolutely fine. Flow charts tend to take absolutely ages. I feel for you though, my tasks seemed a little bit easier.

But yes. The Javascript task was most definitely removed: http://www.agent4change.net/policy/curriculum/2251-ocr-assessment-shock-hits-gcse-computing-students.html definitely speak to your teacher… however there will be no time now.
Reply 27
Original post by iEthan
These tasks are entirely different to mine, I’m sorry! However pseudo is always the way to go. Essentially you simplify the terms (I’ve always coded first, then done my pseudo because I’m very lazy) used in your code and even if it’s not exact because it’s only GCSE you’ll be absolutely fine. Flow charts tend to take absolutely ages. I feel for you though, my tasks seemed a little bit easier.

But yes. The Javascript task was most definitely removed: http://www.agent4change.net/policy/curriculum/2251-ocr-assessment-shock-hits-gcse-computing-students.html definitely speak to your teacher… however there will be no time now.

So are you saying that the javascript has been totally removed meaning we won't be needing to do another controlled assesment and were only being assessed on one? or did you have to change your entire task? to somthing else?
Original post by humzzay
So are you saying that the javascript has been totally removed meaning we won't be needing to do another controlled assesment and were only being assessed on one? or did you have to change your entire task? to somthing else?

What we were told: we had to scrap it and do another one. The original plan was Python + Javascript. We had to change it to Python + AI2. You may be okay, but do double check.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by humzzay
Yeah! the javascript one right! i havent even completed all the development stages as well as the python one which is extreamly hard!
Honestly kill me now what the heck do I do. IM FREAKING OUT!

Python quiz task ?
Reply 30
Original post by Synonym
Python quiz task ?

YUP!
Original post by humzzay
YUP!

have u finished the code/started it, if not then I dont mind giving you direction/help regarding the code.
Original post by humzzay
YUP!

A pseudocode is basically coding something out, in Plain English!

For hangman I would write:

print "Would you like to play Hangman?"
if "No"
end program

if "Yes"
print "What theme would you like to choose?/n
1. Computer hardware/n
2. Christmas"
Original post by iEthan
MITAI2 is still AWFUL though. I slagged it off so much in my practical investigation! :biggrin:

Really? For me I enjoyed it :biggrin:
Really? For me I enjoyed it :biggrin:

You’re mad! Was awful.
Original post by therealprogramer
i to am doing the arithmetic quiz. and have completed task 1 and 2 in 3 and a half hours.however i seem to have found myself at a stand still on task 3 as i do not know how to save their last 3 scores. I am assuming it is by reading the file then if index in list is more than 2(it starts at 0 guys) .pop the last number.but it dont seem to work, any help guys?

I myself require assistance on task 3 argh the longest and hardest task of the coursework; got any solutions for it ?
Original post by therealprogramer
i am assuming that you would read from the file for student and putting it into a list, and if the index count is bigger than 2 use .pop to remove the oldest result. but how would you remove the older values from file\only get the list to read it till the 3rd score? maybe use for count in range (3):
file.readlines?
or whatever it is i havent got any code infront of me.also to do the averages will be tedious albeit easy

Yh i think still trying to figure it out :/
Original post by smsgd
Got a high A, mucked up the write up part, had to absolutely blast through two tasks in three days, wasted so much time through the year aha

Am I like the only one who got an A* in the Coursework aha, tho tbh my 100 pages 30,000+ words for my Practical Investigation may have been a bit too much aha.

Got my theory exam tmz and am screwed as our teacher is unbelivably bad. He didnt even know what an SSD is. I have ended up teaching it all to myself but theres so much and I cant find the resources I need. Like in the January 2013 paper theres a 6 mark on magnetic verse SSD I mean I know what they are I just dont know enough detail for a six marker and cant find it anywhere anyone got any good resources that arnt those vids from OCR or teach ICT would be so helpful aha.
Reply 38
I'm so not prepared for tomorrow guys...
How's yours going?
thanks- this is really helpful! do you have the january and november 2014 papers too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending