The Student Room Group

Would you employ an immigrant?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Internet
Id be interested to know say with the first one, how people are defining "British" are they defining it civically, or are they defining it as White English? I mean yeah sure most people would define you as British civically, but TSR does have some quite extreme right wing members, so it'd be interesting knowing how the people who clicked the top option, are defining the word "British" :smile:

Because Welsh, Scottish and Irish are not Brits, right?
Id be interested to know say with the first one, how people are defining "British" are they defining it civically, or are they defining it as White English? I mean yeah sure most people would define you as British civically, but TSR does have some quite extreme right wing members, so it'd be interesting knowing how the people who clicked the top option, are defining the word "British" :smile:

British people are the white upper class southern England born Conservative anglican English monolinguals with an Oxford MA (from Balliol, Brasenose, Worcester, Christ Church, Magdalen, and St John's) but not more and are cousins of HM The Queen Elizabeth II, Defender of the Faith whose parents and grandparents are also white upper class southern England born Conservative anglican English monolinguals with an Oxford MA (from Balliol, Brasenose, Worcester, Christ Church, Magdalen, and St John's) but not more and are cousins of a former monarch.
Original post by Alfissti
Except I haven't.
70% of the customer base for both hotels are from China, 25% from Nordic countries and 5% from Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.

Americans? They aren't bad when it comes to working.

Asians? Depends from where, females from Asia make for excellent employees, employ quite a fair few of those.

Australians? The ones out of Australia are excellent, the ones in Australia not so. Currently have 2 of them on my payroll.

Some generalisations being made here.
Immigration doesn't have any effect whatsoever on how a person works in any job. If one contends otherwise, it is sheer racism.
Original post by Duncan2012
Regardless of personal opinions, we all have to comply with the law, and the law currently doesn't allow you to give preference to non-immigrants, as long as they have the right to be here and to work here.

and like most of those equality laws they are very easy to work around.

Anyway - im not in the UK but i would employ an irish person over an immigrant, local jobs for local people. Poland is not local.

Original post by Juichiro

I assume you mean Northern Irish because as a southerner i am NOT British.
I would employ the best candidate for the job. If my work force ends up being entirely made up of immigrants then oh well. This applies if they are all British born as well.
Original post by silverbolt

I assume you mean Northern Irish because as a southerner i am NOT British.

Would you want to be? :smile:

Sorry then. Does "white people" cover it? or specifically white English, Scottish, Northern Irish, members of the channel islands, and crown dependencies cover it?
Sorry then. Does "white people" cover it? or specifically white English, Scottish, Northern Irish, members of the channel islands, and crown dependencies cover it?

Are white [insert any nationality] British? If yes, then British would just be a synonymous for white people and perhaps all white people should automatically qualify for a British passport. :biggrin:
Are white [insert any nationality] British? If yes, then British would just be a synonymous for white people and perhaps all white people should automatically qualify for a British passport. :biggrin:

Arrgh this thread is full of pedanticism! :tongue: I thought I covered my self when I said the bit after that!
Would you want to be? :smile:

No. Not now not ever.
Reply 31

Peoples perception about nationality generally isn't affected by colour. [in the uk]

Original post by Alfissti
The only 2 businesses I've kept on in UK are 2 hotels. Both hotels are staffed primarily by those from Poland, Czech, Germany, France and Nordic countries.

Why I prefer hiring those from EU? Quite simple, the industry I operate in requires lots of hardwork, dedication, punctuality and manners. A certain amount of honesty and trust are also required.

Hardwork is simply something you cannot buy from a Brit these days, where it is fairly easy to buy it off a Pole and they sell it for cheap as well.

Dedication, while it isn't really essential for the industry a certain amount of it is required as constant and high staff turnover is costly for me as it cost money to train and to keep training new people is a waste of my resources. Too many Brits the moment the work tasks is something they don't like they simply choose not to show up for work or don't do that good a job, where a Pole or a Czech where the money is good and it doesn't take a lot to make it "good money" you give them the hardest and crappiest of tasks and they shut up and do it while smiling too.

Punctuality, the thing speaks for itself.

Manners, while it is generally the case those from EU are somewhat poor in manners you could somewhat tell them and control them easily with some money.

This is rubbish. Unless you're actually exploiting staff.
Reply 32
Original post by Law-Hopeful
What's the difference between the third and fourth option of the poll?

That implies immigrants are given preferential treatment, but I think what you mean to say is that they tend to be the preferred candidates because they match the skill set you are looking for better than their competitors?

Yes, I was rushing when typing it out. I run a cleaning company,and in my experience migrants are much better employees than native British people.
Reply 33
Original post by ryan316
Yes, I was rushing when typing it out. I run a cleaning company,and in my experience migrants are much better employees than native British people.

How so? Do your colleagues share the same view?

BTW, how's the pay? - do you pay them equally?
Reply 34
Original post by kka25
How so? Do your colleagues share the same view?

BTW, how's the pay? - do you pay them equally?

Well, the owner shares the same philosophy and all of our employees are migrants. It's still rather small. Why is it so? Mainly in our experience British people tend not to work as hard, aren't as committed to the role, have a poor attitude and are generally worse to deal with. Again, this is only in my limited experience; this is in now way an indictment on the attitude of British people as a whole!

We pay every employee equally, and we pay better than most cleaning companies in our area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending