The Student Room Group

Which University for postgraduate studies is best for me?

Hey there,

I just want to hear a few opinions about which Uni is best for me and my future.

About me:

- From Germany
- Mechanical Engineering Bachelor
- Want to do something creative now
- Interested in a very diverse range of topics

What I expect from my postgraduate programme:

- First of all I want to meet enterprising people that are willing to start a business
- I want to build things in interdisciplinary teams
- I want to study with people that are full of enthusiasm
- I want to live in a nice environment
- (I am also willing to do a second master afterwards)

Unis I applied to and application status:

- Royal College of Art -> Innovation Design Engineering -> had an interview but just got a place on the reserve list
- Design Academy Eindhoven -> Contextual Design -> I´ve been invited to an interview in April
- Loughborough University London Campus -> Design Innovation -> offer
- Brunel University London -> Integrated Product Design -> offer
- TU Delft -> Integrated Product Design -> still waiting for an answer

My first choice was definitely the RCA but unfortunately the interview didnt went very well. However, if I get an offer of the reserve list I will definitely go there.

I know, Design Academy Eindhoven is an outstanding design school but I am not sure if it is the right place to work intersisciplinary. Do they have a lot of students with other backgrounds then design?

The Loughborough University is going to open its new London based campus this year. I think also the courses are new. From what I read they really aim to help entrpeneurs which would be great, but its just one year and I dont know if that is enough time to meet new people. Also, the course and campus are new and not proofed. Maybe it will be a bit chaotic and unstructured.

I think I will not go to Brunel, it is very similar to Loughborough but I dont like the environment.

I know that TU Delft is very research based and technical. Maybe its the best Uni if I would like to continue my engineerin education and if I want to find a job in the R&D department of a big company.

In the future I see myself working in a studio with friends to develop prototypes, and bring new products to the marked. Maybe this imagination is a bit romantic but why not follow your dreams.

I hope you can give me a few opinions about what is best for me.
Reply 1
Hi, I am just leaving a reply here because I am in a similar situation!

I have a degree for industrial design for undergraduate, and had interview for RCA IDE last March.
I was also placed in reserve list! (I am not even sure if I still have chance to get into RCA! But I know someone who was offered eventually afterwards, but how are the chances like!! I send them email about inquiring when I can hear back, but they never got back to me. If you have heard anything, can you let me know? Thanx!)

I got offer from TU Delft, design for interaction and I am pretty happy about it but eagerly waiting for RCA.. My undergraduate degree is also strongly related to engineering, and that led me to not applying for Eindhoven design academy. I have some alumni who are studying in TU Delft, and it seemed like perfect place to focus on design research and pursue some topics that I want to work on deeper in grad school. I visited the school before, and their workshop was large and well equipped (much bigger than RCA)

Working in studio sounds like RCA but still we can strengthen what we already have too! I don't know much about Brunel and Loughborough. As far as I know, Brunel is more like strongly focused on design research.. (I am not from Europe, so if I am paying big tuition, then I wanted to go RCA lol)

Hope to hear from you! I am also in the middle of emotional breakdown waiting for RCA letter!!

I was trying to post comment here, and had some errors, hope it didn't give you crazy notifications..
wish the best!
Reply 2
Hi and thanks for the reply.
I did not got an offer from the design academy. I told them that I don't want to set up exhibitions later but that I want to find a way to create innovation. Maybe I just don't fit in there, but that's okay. Now I am waiting for TU delft to decide. If they offer me a place, I will go there. If not, I will go to Loughborough (and maybe do a second master course afterwards).
I also wrote an email to the RCA but didn't get a reply. I read somewhere that the applicants with offer have to decide (and transfer money) until today. So if there is any last chance to get an offer it will be next week I think.

Let's stay in touch with new information.
Reply 3
Hopefully they will let us know next week! Thanks for information :smile:

Regarding TU Delft, I applied around the first week of March, and received an admission within exact 6 weeks of time after confirmation email. I remember on website that they take more time than 6 wks if you applied close to the deadline. Hope you get another option, soon. Living expense is like 1/3 cheaper than London, so maybe it can be a better option for me...

I looked Loughborough up today, and it seemed very interesting. I wanted two years course, so I didn't look at many one-year course in UK. But the course itself looked interesting but probably very new that not much information is available. and Eindhoven Design Academy didn't look like my style either!

One question is that why do you not consider German schools? I was interested in studying in Germany but it's just that I have to speak a certain level of German language to apply there. Just out of curiosity.
Reply 4
I applied late march, so if they need exactly six weeks I will expect the answer next friday. I think the TU Delft has also a very good and global reputation. The Loughborough course is more theoratical, they dont have a workshop or something, but they work close with the industry. I also want to do a two year programme and I want to work practically, so I would prefer the Delft course.
I hate the fact that the majority German universities dont offer courses in english. Thats also a reason why I want to do my master studies somewhere else. Furthermore, I couldnt find any course in Germany, that put emphasis on innovation. Its all very traditional and not really what I want to do.
Hi guysI have read your comments with interest. I have problems to find information to compare design-business programs and I think that maybe you could give some advices. I applied for three masters and scholarships but I didn't get any scholarship, so now I will cover my tuitions with a educational loan. Therefore is very important the employment prospect of the master because I will have to pay for the loan. I would like to know if you can give some advice or comments about the programs where I applied.

I have Social Communication background with professional experience in the marketing field and these are my three options:

1) MDes Innovation and Creativity in Industry | Cranfield University. One year program, my understanding is that Cranfield is a very well-respected university with an emphasis on Engineering, Technology and Management, but I believed this is a program for engineers I am not sure about my background here.
2) MA Innovation Management | University if the Arts London - CSM: This is the most expensive program and is two years, so more housing cost, in London. But It also allow me to work part time, that would contribute with some money and working experience.
3) MDes Service Design Innovation | University of the Arts London - LCC. I like the curriculum of this master. It has a phase 1 and 2 with creativity, design and product innovation and then a research project. But is not too much of business.

I thank you in advance for taking your time and helping out with this important decision that I am just about to make.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending