The Student Room Group

CCEA A Level Physics June 2015

I haven't seen any physics threads specifically related to CCEA Physics, so I thought I'd create one. Currently attempting to study for AS 1 and 2, with practical in 3 weeks. Hating life.

Any AS Practical tips anyone?

Scroll to see replies

How'd you find the practical? I repeated it this year as an A2 student to boost my grade up and I found it much easier than my first sitting. My advice would be to get familiar with all the equipment like micrometers and vernier callipers when in school. Ask your teacher if you could do a few past paper experiments in class to get used to the style of questions. Also learn how to calculate uncertainties from graphs and formulas - CCEA love uncertainty.
On the whole though dont stress too much bout your mark this year in the practical as you'll be able to boost it next year as A2 will prepare you for it
:smile:
Original post by Jasonspence33
How'd you find the practical? I repeated it this year as an A2 student to boost my grade up and I found it much easier than my first sitting. My advice would be to get familiar with all the equipment like micrometers and vernier callipers when in school. Ask your teacher if you could do a few past paper experiments in class to get used to the style of questions. Also learn how to calculate uncertainties from graphs and formulas - CCEA love uncertainty.
On the whole though dont stress too much bout your mark this year in the practical as you'll be able to boost it next year as A2 will prepare you for it
:smile:

I didn't think it was too bad, it could have been worse, what kind of numbers were you getting? :smile:
Em the last question I got 2.5 minutes as the time... 14.6 for the gradient of the graph.. Wby? :smile:
Em the last question I got 2.5 minutes as the time... 14.6 for the gradient of the graph.. Wby? :smile:

Yeah i got those, and roughly around 79 for the cadence, what scale did you use for the graph? :smile:
Yea same here. Then got the 2nd cadence to be 93 roughly. Can't remember the scale but wev the same gradient so all good there! ... For the experiments there were two questions that asked about direct proportion. Did you say both answers there was direct proportion or? :smile:
Reply 6
Yea same here. Then got the 2nd cadence to be 93 roughly. Can't remember the scale but wev the same gradient so all good there! ... For the experiments there were two questions that asked about direct proportion. Did you say both answers there was direct proportion or? :smile:

I did thw practical last friday and i think i said that they werent directly proportional and for the option one i went for to the power of a half
Reply 7
Overall though, i think i done pretty ****e so i hope the grade boindaries are lower than they usually are
Would you guys just confirm which paper you sat? The one on Friday or the one today? I sat the one today (2nd session) and I'm getting different answers.

For the Cadance I got around 79, but for the last question how long does it take a bike of speed 38.1 km/h to complete 2.5km in minutes, well that's surely first converting in minutes 38.1/60 = 0.635km/minute, then time=distance/speed 2.5/0.635 = 3.94 mins?

For the oscillations experiment, I got 0.2g a period of 0.57, 0.4g a period of 0.8 and 0.5g a period of 0.89. I was given three relationships, T=Am, T=A/m and T=Am^1/2.

Surely its the last one as my value for A constant was roughly the same when I was dividing T by the root of m.

I didn't get any proportionality with the elastic band, I hope you weren't, that's a load of marks for me lost otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)

Yes, my second one was around that too! thank god, i thought it went tits up. Yeah I went direct proportion for both, I always get confused on the pick the equations ones, but i went for T=kM or whatever it was, and I put numbers in and it roughly worked out well. I definitely messed up the last part of the electricity one and also the question that was asking why it was 6 gears, but apart from those, i think its okay :smile:
Original post by Sharpshooter
Would you guys just confirm which paper you sat? The one on Friday or the one today? I sat the one today (2nd session) and I'm getting different answers.

For the Cadance I got around 79, but for the last question how long does it take a bike of speed 38.1 km/h to complete 2.5km in minutes, well that's surely first converting in minutes 38.1/60 = 0.635km/minute, then time=distance/speed 2.5/0.635 = 3.94 mins?

For the oscillations experiment, I got 0.2g a period of 0.57, 0.4g a period of 0.8 and 0.5g a period of 0.89. I was given three relationships, T=Am, T=A/m and T=Am^1/2.

Surely its the last one as my value for A constant was roughly the same when I was dividing T by the root of m.

I didn't get any proportionality with the elastic band, fear that went badly wrong.

I did the one on friday, session one I think. For the last question I just did speed =distance/time, so 38.1= 2.5/t, got t to be 0.04 hours, multiplied by 60 to get about 2.5 minutes.

I chose T=Am but then again I am horrible at those, so it could be anything there.
I said both were directly proportional but not sure now! Aha. Yea hope the boundaries drop a right bit too!
I said both were directly proportional but not sure now! Aha. Yea hope the boundaries drop a right bit too!

data analysis was so different to the ppqs, deffo more maths than anything, so hopefully they'll be low enough. Absolutely terrified for AS 1 and 2 though.
Original post by hansiepansie11
I did the one on friday, session one I think. For the last question I just did speed =distance/time, so 38.1= 2.5/t, got t to be 0.04 hours, multiplied by 60 to get about 2.5 minutes.

I chose T=Am but then again I am horrible at those, so it could be anything there.

Are you sure you values for the last question were 38.1km/h and 2.5km for the first paper? Just that 2.5/38.1 = 0.0656, not 0.04. Multiplying by 60 gives 3.94 minutes. If I get a simple distance/speed/time question wrong then I might as well give up doing Physics. :tongue:
Yes, my second one was around that too! thank god, i thought it went tits up. Yeah I went direct proportion for both, I always get confused on the pick the equations ones, but i went for T=kM or whatever it was, and I put numbers in and it roughly worked out well. I definitely messed up the last part of the electricity one and also the question that was asking why it was 6 gears, but apart from those, i think its okay :smile:

Sweet! I thought I'd mucked up too but seems about right then! Hope it was.. I couldn't see how they couldn't be directly proportional but who knows! Can barely remember the electrical one aha. But for the 6 gears I said because there were really only 6 different values given in the table of results so there must be 6 fear sizes.
data analysis was so different to the ppqs, deffo more maths than anything, so hopefully they'll be low enough. Absolutely terrified for AS 1 and 2 though.

Yea the papers are changing like nothin normal! It's so frustrating. I've A21 to look forward to tomorrow aha. AS 1 is mostly mechanics n electricity tbh!
One thing that worries me now is that my cadence value was given to me in rads/min. The speeds were in km/h, I didn't have to change the rads/min (which was 79 for me) to rads/hour when subbing it in the equation did I?

I got 31/40 in a previous paper which gave me 57/78 UMS, a low B.
Are you sure you values for the last question were 38.1km/h and 2.5km for the first paper? Just that 2.5/38.1 = 0.0656, not 0.04. Multiplying by 60 gives 3.94 minutes. If I get a simple distance/speed/time question wrong then I might as well give up doing Physics. :tongue:

oh god no my mistake, i mean my answer was 2.5 minutes, the speed was definitely 38.1 and i cannot remember the distance.
One thing that worries me now is that my cadence value was given to me in rads/min. The speeds were in km/h, I didn't have to change the rads/min (which was 79 for me) to rads/hour when subbing it in the equation did I?

I think the equation stated that a value of rad/min was given when speeds of km/h were used? Not sure. I got the same last year too. Hopefully the boundaries drop this year.

i definitely didn't change that, but my teacher was walking round and told me my last part was right, so here's hoping. how do you know its 78 ums, they tell us nothing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending