The Student Room Group

Academic Misconduct Hearing

Basically I got an email this morning about an Academic Misconduct Hearing, for colluding, that I have to attend on the 7th, unfortunately this is the day before my exam. As if i'm not stressed enough! Anyway, heres what happened:
Upon writing my report, I hadn't attended barely any lectures or seminars, as I had been struggling with severe back pain, this was causing me inability to move, never mind get to my lectures/seminars. This also meant when writing my report, I had NO idea what to even write about! Luckily my friend was willing to help me with what we had learnt and let me look at his report for help. Like an idiot I was so stressed about getting it right whilst also still being so confused as to what to do, I wrote paragraphs based on what he had told me to write about, and what our tutor had told him to include. I wrote all of this into my report and used the words I could see best fit for my report to try and not copy. However, that didn't happen on all cases, as I mistakenly used words that he had.

Now I've just received the letter and it comes with what looks to be colluded and similar. Upon reading it, I realised how similar they actually are! I have been on the phone to student support all morning in tears, and she told me I shouldn't worry about it too much as if I'm as honest with the person in the hearing as I was with her, they are likely to take sympathy. However, I'm worried if they don't, and I'm more worried that my friend will get in trouble for it. He tried to help me and I royally ****ed up, and I don't want him to get into trouble for my idiocy.

The woman from student support told me she will talk to there person holding the hearing to explain the situation and how honest I have been, in regards to admitting total fault over the whole thing. She also said that because my medical history whilst being at uni is on record and I also had an extension on this report, that I should be okay as they can see I was struggling.

Anyone had a hearing of this sort and know what the consequences are? What should I expect from the hearing?
Im really worried about this now.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Pandora..

What year are you in? If you're a third year then you've got issues, but if you're only a first year then I don't think they will take drastic action. Likely, you'll need to do the work again, and be told very frankly not to be an idiot in the future. If your medical issues are documented that will help back up your case, so just be honest. In the future, speak to the person leading the course - they may provide you lecture slides if they don't already, and similarly may give permission for someone to record the seminar audio for you.

I understand your feelings towards your friend, although he shouldn't have left his work with you. That's a decision he took by himself and a case of collusion involves more than one person - you can't get him off the hook here.

The intent, extent, the level of study, previous background and so on are usually all taken into consideration.

It's probably going to come to:
a) a warning on your record - not really an issue if you follow guidelines from here, becomes an issue if you're suspected for misconduct again
b) resubmit the work - mark capped at 40%

I imagine your friend might be more likely to come away with the warning as his work was his own they will keep his mark. Don't lie, because if anything else comes to light then the sanctioning level will increase. Otherwise, it's a warning, don't do it again.
Reply 2
I am only first year, and I wouldn't wish to lie. I have tried to speak to as many people from my uni regarding this and I've been completely honest with everything I have said. I don't even know myself how it happened. I think I just read it and wrote down what I thought was my own idea in my head, when in fact it was all his. (I can't listen to songs with lyrics as I end up writing the lyrics without realising.) I'm suspecting that is what happened in this case. I don't know how I go about explaining what I have done, because however I word it, it sounds terrible on my behalf, however it genuinely was a silly accident. I didn't intend to do what I did in the hopes I wouldn't get caught, I only even realised what I'd done when the two pieces of text were placed next to each other.
They do have the medical records to back up my case, I'm just absolutely dreading it now.

Thank you though for your response

Posted from TSR Mobile
In general for academic misconduct:

At undergrad level: They'll try to help you and make sure you don't do it again in the future. There may be some form of punishment, but it's not going to completely ruin your future, assuming this is the first time.
At postgrad level: They'll decide whether or not you're worth helping or if you should just be kicked off.
At career level: Kiss goodbye to your job and reputation.

You are at university to learn. Academic misconduct is something that they must teach everyone to avoid; but it is within their interest to keep you on the course and guide you to a strong graduation.

They will sympathise with you, but you also need to accept 100% responsibility and make sure they know that. You will be fine at the end of the day, although they may give you a really hard time.

After this, just make sure you never do any misconduct again. They are unlikely to be merciful if you get a second calling.
Reply 4
I agree with the above poster. You need to take it seriously but treat it as a learning experience. It is upsetting, but you can learn a lot from it.

The safest way of writing is to reference everything you write, back to an academic source. Uni isn't like A Levels where you can just write down what you think. You have to justify everything you say with referencing. If you do this, you will never run into the problem again.
Pretty sure that you are allowed to take a friend as backup but check

if found "guilty" then as a first year you will probably be penalised but not thrown off etc
but it will stay on your record and may be raised if they discuss you even a couple of years in the future. Not many people get "done" so you will be in the dept's memory for a while

try to explain the circumstances as best you can and make a bullet pointed note to help you.
Original post by Keyhofi
In general for academic misconduct:

At undergrad level: They'll try to help you and make sure you don't do it again in the future. There may be some form of punishment, but it's not going to completely ruin your future, assuming this is the first time.
At postgrad level: They'll decide whether or not you're worth helping or if you should just be kicked off.
At career level: Kiss goodbye to your job and reputation.

You are at university to learn. Academic misconduct is something that they must teach everyone to avoid; but it is within their interest to keep you on the course and guide you to a strong graduation.

They will sympathise with you, but you also need to accept 100% responsibility and make sure they know that. You will be fine at the end of the day, although they may give you a really hard time.

After this, just make sure you never do any misconduct again. They are unlikely to be merciful if you get a second calling.

This is sage advice.

As you are a first year, you'll most likely get a warning and be penalised in some way (zero marks for the assignment for example). In the grand scheme of things, it is irrelevant. Just don't do it again.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
I agree with the above poster. You need to take it seriously but treat it as a learning experience. It is upsetting, but you can learn a lot from it.

The safest way of writing is to reference everything you write, back to an academic source. Uni isn't like A Levels where you can just write down what you think. You have to justify everything you say with referencing. If you do this, you will never run into the problem again.

I normally do that, which is why the rest of the report had no problems and neither have any other assignments! However in this report a small section of it (the bit I got ****ed for) was all where no references could be used or even needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending