The Student Room Group

Self-Plagiarism on presentation

I am a foundation year student.
Recently, we had to write an essay. Then we had to make a presentation discussing what we’ve mentioned in our essay.
I have copied some points from my essay and pasted them into my presentation. I’ve paraphrased some but not all. My turnitin similarity rating is around 70%. As soon as I’ve realized that I’ve committed plagiarism, I contacted my professor and mentioned that I believe I’ve committed plagiarism. My professor referred me to the Academic Misconduct Committee. This is my first offense.
There are 2 main reasons for my plagiarism:
- I misunderstood the presentation assignment, thinking it was an extension of my essay
- I’ve rushed the presentation

How should I handle this? Is there anything else I should do?
What penalties should I be expecting?
Will it affect my record, and will it affect my chances to go to a good postgraduate Uni after completing my BS degree?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Update for anyone interested:
I finally got a letter from the academic misconduct committee. I got the lowest possible penalty as this was a first offense and was not serious. I did not get any official warnings that could affect my future, nor will it be on my record after graduation.
I did not dispute the penalty or the decision, as it was a fair decision and I admit my faults in the assignment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending