The Student Room Group

Taking Medicine at Uni without Biology AS/A2

Hi guys. I recently went to Medlink and found that I wanted to be a doctor. The problem is that I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History for my A-levels - specifically, not Biology. I've had a look at various uni's requirements and most seem to want bio, at least until AS. Should I take Bio A-level? Would I be able to take it in Year 13, while I'm doing A2 in the other subjects? I'm predicted straight A grades. I really want to be a doctor, and would do absolutely anything it takes.
Reply 1
Biology would help you greatly even if it is only AS, both years would be better, but one is fine. Almost all of the stuff I have learnt to date in medicine is basically biology - 1% chemistry and the rest Biology and maths.
I didn't do Biology - there are still quite a few universities which do not require it. Manchester, Southampton, Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Peninsula, off the top of my head. If you do AS Biology you meet the requirements for most other medical schools too, so if these aren't to your taste, then do that.

Course requirements here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Medical_Schools_in_UK
Reply 3
Some of them don't. eg Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow

Check this out
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/PDFbecomingadoctor2007/$FILE/BADentry2007.pdf

But they will probs give some preference to those with Biology
Reply 4
rahmed
Biology would help you greatly even if it is only AS, both years would be better, but one is fine. Almost all of the stuff I have learnt to date in medicine is basically biology - 1% chemistry and the rest Biology and maths.

What area of Medicine needs maths? *Is scared cause he didn't take maths a level*
Reply 5
Democracy
What area of Medicine needs maths? *Is scared cause he didn't take maths a level*

Don't worry I didn't take maths either - but it depends on each uni - we just had a numeracy test - quite easy - but required by law now. And we were also taught statistics as a subject, I've completely forgotten what we learnt, but I dont think it's too demanding. You should be ok, as long as you can do the calculations in chemistry.
Reply 6
rahmed
Don't worry I didn't take maths either - but it depends on each uni - we just had a numeracy test - quite easy - but required by law now. And we were also taught statistics as a subject, I've completely forgotten what we learnt, but I dont think it's too demanding. You should be ok, as long as you can do the calculations in chemistry.

Oh, okay cool. Cheers :smile:
Reply 7
we have a lot of evidence based medicine at Peninsula, you definately would benefit from a mathematical background with that. With regard to Biology, I'm afraid it will be much harder for you to get a hold on the key anatomical and physiological concepts, but not impossible.
Reply 8
I don't get the perceived importance of a Maths A level background.
EBM & research is statistics = even people with Maths/FM won't have necessarily come across these before, so generally it seems to be taught from the basics.
Physiology is physics/mechanics - so do double/triple science at GCSE which most medic applicants probably will have anyway & spend some extra time with a decent textbook if you don't remember why the formula work.
I don't think my course is EBM/research/physiology-lite but i've managed fine so far - apart from providing laughs when mentioning i'd never got the whole 'log' thing on scales... :p:

rahmed - when did a required by law numeracy test come in? Seems silly that maths GCSE, science a levels & an assessed university course involving elements wouldn't be evidence enough of numeracy!
Reply 9
we were told that we'd actually understand the statistics stuff better if we hadn't done too much before...

As for biology - not sure about other unis, but cambridge have a six lecture series at the begining of term on cell biology, mainly for those without bio at A-level
Reply 10
Elles

rahmed - when did a required by law numeracy test come in? Seems silly that maths GCSE, science a levels & an assessed university course involving elements wouldn't be evidence enough of numeracy!

Not sure if it is law as such, but it seems to be compulsory since some medic gave a wrong dosage to a patient and it was all over the news a while back. So here at GKT we all have to pass the test before we can advance further.

And if you havent taken biology at a-level then it would be useful to cover the subject in the summer break before uni. A book like Biology for you will be perfect. And once at uni I've found essential cell biology to be quite useful.
I took AS Biology in Year 13 and rather enjoyed it actually ! So why don't you try that? :smile:
Reply 12
Elles

Physiology is physics/mechanics

wtf. its biology with a bit of physics
Reply 13
They're the underlying mathsy elements to it which I don't think are necessarily hugely helped by a Maths A level. I thought it was obvious from the context I was just talking about the Maths involved rather than defining the entire discipline, but sorry for any confusion!
There are some uni's which will require just at least either Biology or Chemistry, and others that would require both to at least AS if not A2 so you could drop a subject and take up an AS in one of the other two.
Although it might not be essential, the main thing is to get as much work experience as possible - start asap. The work experience is more important than A level subjects.

Also check out all the uni websites entrance requirements, they will usally specify subjects.

good luck!
Democracy
Some of them don't. eg Aberdeen, Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow

Check this out
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/PDFbecomingadoctor2007/$FILE/BADentry2007.pdf

But they will probs give some preference to those with Biology

Cardiff do ask for Biology at AS if not taken to A2.
Reply 16
u can apply to leeds!!!!!!!!!! :d:d but do learn some bio on your own before uni cos then u can spend less time studying and more time partying !
Huw Davies
Cardiff do ask for Biology at AS if not taken to A2.

So they do. My bad...:P
Reply 18
IMHO, you would have to be bonkers not to take some sort of biology now - not for reasons of having more schools open to you, but becuase you WILL have to bring yourself upto A-Level standard yourself either before the course starts or during your pre-clinical.

There is no real way around it, as others have said the teaching of pre-clinical medicine is probably more biology based than anything else - the reason that chem is usually more of a requirement is that all med schools will have the staff on hand to help with remedial biology, but not necessarily with chemistry - as demonstrated by the number of universities who have 'lost' their chem departments over the last 10 years.

If you want o make med school a little easier, and free up more pre-clinical time for fun, rather than self-directed study, then do some biology now.

===**This has been a 'biology is helpful broadcast' on behalf of Fluffy, who is tired**===

Latest

Trending

Trending