The Student Room Group

Do non-white Brits feel like guests in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Unown Uzer
Since you were born in Britain anyway, there is no doubt that you are British. Those people who want to discriminate are in the vast minority, and you cannot generalize and make it seem like the whole country does not want you. There are many people who get discriminated against on other grounds, whether it is gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc., so you are not the only one facing discrimination. If you want to stop racism, sitting and complaining about it is not the solution.

Are you broken? Did I say I was the only one? I even asked if anyone else felt the same (thread title..duh)..its not a complaint its a fact. Your logic is seriously flawed how did I imply I was looking for a solution?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skyy9432
Genuinely heartbreaking to read this. :frown: I'm white but I am proud of our multi-ethnic culture. I mean, Britain's entire history can be summed up by the word "immigration".

May I ask what makes you feel this way? Who makes you purposely feel like you don't belong? What made you "clock on" to the idea you're not equal?

As much as many would like this to be true, it is simply not true in general. There are people in Britain who's ancestors have lived on the island for thousands of years.

The huge immigration over the past 50 years is completely unprecedented actually.
Original post by Bill_Gates
sad to hear that

I regularly travel across the world. Dubai, California, Hong Kong, Toronto you name it. All very multi cutural places absolutely thriving like no tomorrow.

The free movement of people is essential for prosperity.

Anyone who disagrees with this basic logic will fail. Go to some of the most racist parts of this country and see for yourself.

Multicultural society is a thriving one.

Absolutely no economic theory behind this statement. Cant see Japan missing out on much due to its lack of diversity for instance.

And youve conflated cause and correlation. Successful countries/regions attract migrants generally. People wouldnt have come to the UK if it wasn't already a fantastic place to live...
Have any immigrants contemplated that you may be to blame for such feelings.

Muslims aside (media attention means negative perception) a lot of other immigrants choose to hang with their own kind or care about their foreign heritage. How can you complain if your not making the effort to fit in by hanging about with white people and displaying allegiance to the UK.

Obviously in other cases it may genuinely be racism which is still present to some degree but the above are just things I've noticed.
Reply 44
Original post by Zürich
As much as many would like this to be true, it is simply not true in general. There are people in Britain who's ancestors have lived on the island for thousands of years.

The huge immigration over the past 50 years is completely unprecedented actually.

Is that fact btw? I've always wondered if descendants of vikings who never left were here today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A study by Cambridge university found that british have changed by only 1.5% whatever that means.
Reply 46
I lived in London my whole life before moving for university. I have felt it a bit over the past couple of years, just a few people trying to make me feel like "the other". There was a case where someone asked me questions about my life and despite me telling her I was born and raised here she asks if I'm planning on going back to where my family is from when I made it clear I don't really have a life there. Just made me feel slightly uncomfortable because it felt like she only wanted me to associate myself with my family's roots even though I also identify myself as British.

Other than a couple of instances, I don't feel like a guest at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
Are you broken? Did I say I was the only one? I even asked if anyone else felt the same (thread title..duh)..its not a complaint its a fact. Your logic is seriously flawed how did I imply I was looking for a solution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was never offering a solution. I was simply rebutting the few points you made (amid the numerous ad hominem attacks). When I said that you weren't the only one facing discrimination, what I was saying is that since there is also discrimination based in gender, there is a large amount of people who may be discriminated against for let's say, being a female. You have not explained how tour opinion: "non-white Brits feel like guests" is a fact, and based on your previous comments, it appears as if you are complaining about it. That's why I said it was a complaint. Never mind that, though. You seem to have a lot of negativity in you, and for that I am quite concerned. Perhaps that's because you are facing so much discrimination, which I hope will decrease. When you posed your question: "Do non-white Brits feel like guests in Britain," I replied with no. It seems that you were not able to accept an answer than goes against your opinion. If that's the case, there was no point in asking the question in the first place. Anyways, I wish you good luck and hopefully you can live happily in Britain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by T.I.P
Born and raised here, still feel like Im in someone else's house tbh, but thats down to being purposely made to feel that way, I didnt notice it as a kid, I felt proud to be British and thought I was equal, but in my adult life I clocked on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that is why I always say I belong to my parents country despite being born and bred here. Its no big deal. I don't have an identity crisis or anything.
Original post by Depleted
Yeah I do. Not accepted by British people or by country of origin. It's a sad situation really but just have to hope that we're not deported by the far right as we'll have nowhere to go.

Actually, you would be able to go to any country in Western Europe (even Norway and Switzerland, which aren't part of the Schengen area) with your EU passport.
I'm British and I feel like a guest. In my town most people who work in shops and cafes are Europeans. My friends are immigrants. Sometimes they make fun of me and say English people are lazy. :frown: Sometimes I never hear an English voice for days...
Original post by T.I.P
Born and raised here, still feel like Im in someone else's house tbh, but thats down to being purposely made to feel that way, I didnt notice it as a kid, I felt proud to be British and thought I was equal, but in my adult life I clocked on.

Not at all! There are many white people that weren't born here. I was born in Britain, therefore I'm British. Black British. I do feel out of place at certain events I've attended but that goes both ways
Original post by Rakas21

Muslims aside (media attention means negative perception) a lot of other immigrants choose to hang with their own kind or care about their foreign heritage. How can you complain if your not making the effort to fit in by hanging about with white people and displaying allegiance to the UK.

Obviously in other cases it may genuinely be racism which is still present to some degree but the above are just things I've noticed.

Interesting you say that, as the main reasons immigrants remain with "their own kind" is due to the native population excluding and separating from them.

I think you need to pick up a history book. It'll tell you why you have certain immigrants clinging to one area over others. And the reception the native population dished out to the first waves of mass immigration from the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannah60000
Interesting you say that, as the main reasons immigrants remain with "their own kind" is due to the native population excluding and separating from them.

I think you need to pick up a history book. It'll tell you why you have certain immigrants clinging to one area over others. And the reception the native population dished out to the first waves of mass immigration from the late 1940s/early 1950s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they exclude them though or do they just expect the outsider to be the one who should approach them.
Reply 54
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by hannah60000

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Rakas21
Do they exclude them though or do they just expect the outsider to be the one who should approach them.

Ever heard of 'White Flight', my friend?

It can be hard to integrate when one is not allowed to integrate. Personally I think my community has integrated as best as can be expected and I have seen many an example of a willingness to 'mix'. Never been to an Indian wedding where there wasn't plenty of white/black people around. Hell, there's even plenty of interracial marriages in my extended family. This notion of minorities not willing to mix and keeping to themselves reveals your ignorance of the subject.

In general, there is a sense of segregation and exclusion. You can blame the minorities for everything if you want (and there are indeed people in minority communities who have acted horrendously), but if a people feel as though they are not welcome, or if efforts to interact in the past only proved to be awkward/discriminatory, they are hardly going to make much of an effort, are they? They'll do what anyone would do....stick to their own.

Just some of the things I've noticed.....Minority communities seem far more welcoming and willing to mix, than the majority white population. Integration is a two-way street. To put all of the responsibility of integration on one side, is idiotic.

EDIT: Your use of the term 'Outsider' is a perfect example of why there have been integration problems, and why the OP is 100% correct in his statements.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 55
I'm White and I feel like I don't have a future, or White people in general do not have a future in Britain or Europe and even America.

I do not hate non-White people but I do not like immigration because of it's destructive effect on us. Let us be honest most come because they want a better life right?

But you have to give up some of your identity to come here because you have to speak our language, dress like us, learn our history.

It makes more sense to increase living standards of the countries these people come from. Not just outside Europe but poorer countries like Poland.
Original post by T.I.P
I think Eastern Europeans are more accepted and believe if it were a choice to get rid ethnic Brits or Eastern Europeans, ethnic Brits would lose the vote.

Also a quote from UKIP leader N.Farge

"Long live the Whites of Europe, long live our identity, our ethnicity, our race… our blue sky, like the eyes of our women. Blue, in a people who want to stay white."
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how you feel but I've seen and heard attitudes to the contrary. You're really talking about racism, not immigration if you're saying Brits prefer white immigrants to non-whites whose parents even were born here. Repeating or should I say adopting divisive terms like 'guest' also doesn't help your cause. How can you be a guest somewhere you lived your whole life or belong to somewhere you've never been before? Yes, people make you feel unwelcome but your attitude is within your control so ultimately you decide whether you belong or not.
Original post by Zürich
Absolutely no economic theory behind this statement. Cant see Japan missing out on much due to its lack of diversity for instance.

And youve conflated cause and correlation. Successful countries/regions attract migrants generally. People wouldnt have come to the UK if it wasn't already a fantastic place to live...

You've chosen the NUMBER 1 PRIME EXAMPLE which you shouldn't of, Japan has failed due to a lack of immigration, its downfall was due to an increasing age of its population and lack of tax revenues from its working population which diminished since it closed it's doors.
Reply 58
Original post by Unown Uzer
I was never offering a solution. I was simply rebutting the few points you made (amid the numerous ad hominem attacks). When I said that you weren't the only one facing discrimination, what I was saying is that since there is also discrimination based in gender, there is a large amount of people who may be discriminated against for let's say, being a female. You have not explained how tour opinion: "non-white Brits feel like guests" is a fact, and based on your previous comments, it appears as if you are complaining about it. That's why I said it was a complaint. Never mind that, though. You seem to have a lot of negativity in you, and for that I am quite concerned. Perhaps that's because you are facing so much discrimination, which I hope will decrease. When you posed your question: "Do non-white Brits feel like guests in Britain," I replied with no. It seems that you were not able to accept an answer than goes against your opinion. If that's the case, there was no point in asking the question in the first place. Anyways, I wish you good luck and hopefully you can live happily in Britain.

I read the first line and realised you either didn't read what I said or you are infact broken so discontinued reading. Let me know when you get your act together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by effofex
Actually, you would be able to go to any country in Western Europe (even Norway and Switzerland, which aren't part of the Schengen area) with your EU passport.

I clearly meant methaporically...

Quick Reply

Latest