The Student Room Group

Help with Student Finance- Maintenance Grant

Hi, recently ive been trying to complete my student finance application. In my case i don't need to apply for tuition loans but for accommodation I've planed on just applying for Maintenance Grant for my 1-yr full-time Foundation course.

SFE said that can offer up to (£3,387) or more depending on your parent/s household income. In my case my parents live separately, with me living with mum majority of the time, visiting dad on weekends (who recently who got fired, lol):zomg:

But for my accommodation (plus other expenses) that £3000 won't be enough as I need approx £4500, so whilst dad's still earning pocket money from Job Allowance, we both decided I should put his name/household income details down.( & i have said that i live with my dad).

Overall, does the parent one actually lives with affect their Maintenance grant in anyway? AND because i require £4500 student finance, does it mainly depend on household income?

Thanks.
If SFE can only offer up to a certain amount, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to get any more regardless of your parents income. You say you don't need to apply for the maintenance loan but it kind of sounds like you do...
The parent you live with will have to complete an online form stating his income and any other children that may be dependant on him as well as any benefits/pensions/savings he has etc and it will all be taken into account when deciding how much maintenance grant you will be eligible for. It does mainly depend on household income, however like I said, they don't give more than £3387 (or whatever the highest figure for maintenance grant is) so you'll have to find some other way of coming up with the rest that you need.
They are not going to just give you extra money!! Especially when you haven't even asked for the loan!? Like seriously. If you can get by just on the grant without the loan you don't even deserve the grant.
Reply 3
Ahh ok, well that helped me clarify a few questions ive been pondering about. I especially noted down that if one applies for BOTH Maintenance Grant/Loan, one ratio will outweigh the other, so I'll get the majority of funds from the grant and the rest from loan finance. But I'll just re-check just in case.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by LiquidGold
They are not going to just give you extra money!! Especially when you haven't even asked for the loan!? Like seriously. If you can get by just on the grant without the loan you don't even deserve the grant.

I'm guessing you have already done your SF application? did you apply for both loan & grant or just one? I've heard some students have gotten by with just maintenance grant
Original post by TheDboyAi
Ahh ok, well that helped me clarify a few questions ive been pondering about. I especially noted down that if one applies for BOTH Maintenance Grant/Loan, one ratio will outweigh the other, so I'll get the majority of funds from the grant and the rest from loan finance. But I'll just re-check just in case.

Thanks

You can apply for a certain amount of loan, i.e. say you want £1500 maintenance loan and apply for a grant to see if you're eligible. You don't have to get the entire loan you're entitled to
Original post by LiquidGold

Actually students are entitled to just apply for the grant without applying for the loan. That's just how the system works.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending