The Student Room Group

As english literature world war one aqa

Hi everyone,
I am resitting the World War One paper this year due to my whole centre being marked down drastically. I was wondering if anyone has any general tips to prepare for either Section A or B, and then if anyone has any idea how I should go about my revision. I have completed many past papers, generally I am stronger on Section B. Section A is not as good... but help for either would be appreciated.
Please reply!
thanks guys have a good bank holiday xo
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by 1234girl567
Hi everyone,
I am resitting the World War One paper this year due to my whole centre being marked down drastically. I was wondering if anyone has any general tips to prepare for either Section A or B, and then if anyone has any idea how I should go about my revision. I have completed many past papers, generally I am stronger on Section B. Section A is not as good... but help for either would be appreciated.
Please reply!
thanks guys have a good bank holiday xo

70% on the extract and 30% on wider reading.

I honestly will say this: use about 4 wider reading. Birdsong is the one for it or anything by Pat Barker. I Journey's End or Not About Heroes are good for plays.

Have about 3/4 poems you can choose from so you can use the 3 or 2 in Section B. As long as you know them inside out and can link them that's fine!
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
70% on the extract and 30% on wider reading.

I honestly will say this: use about 4 wider reading. Birdsong is the one for it or anything by Pat Barker. I Journey's End or Not About Heroes are good for plays.

Have about 3/4 poems you can choose from so you can use the 3 or 2 in Section B. As long as you know them inside out and can link them that's fine!

You sound pretty confident with this exam! Good luck :smile: In fairness, I have done a lot of work, I guess it's just the fear of the unknown and the exam board throwing something a little obscure out there as my confidence was knocked after last year. What do you reckon the questions will be like? :smile: I was thinking maybe religion for Section B, as all the questions have been fairly standard and regarding war's brutality/hell/antiwar so far!
Original post by 1234girl567
You sound pretty confident with this exam! Good luck :smile: In fairness, I have done a lot of work, I guess it's just the fear of the unknown and the exam board throwing something a little obscure out there as my confidence was knocked after last year. What do you reckon the questions will be like? :smile: I was thinking maybe religion for Section B, as all the questions have been fairly standard and regarding war's brutality/hell/antiwar so far!

I've already did the this A-level - at uni now.

They might do religion, which would be a very good one. But they will stick the main themes that they advice you on studying: realities of war, man's inhumanity to man, politics, patriotism, physical/mental/spiritual consequences and the role of women and the home front.

Religion isn't necessarily a big thing and it is seen often more in poetry. However, it depends on which poetry set text you are doing. I did Oxford's Book of War Poetry. But there is also Scars Upon My Heart and a different one. So if you're doing the former, any of those themes I mentioned above could come up in the exam. If you're studying the latter, then that really focuses on the women and homefront and how the loss and absence of men effect the women during the war.

Our teacher and class went through all of the themes but selected 4 to focus on. We did politics, man's inhumanity to man, women and patriotism.

Try and use poems that have at least 3 of those themes in. It's easier that way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending