The Student Room Group

Becoming A Assistant Teacher

Hi Guys. I want to be a assistant teacher and I want to know what you need to become one. I am in year 9 and for my options I picked history, geography, art and photography and Spanish.

What qualification do I need to be a assistant teacher?
For work experience should I work in a primary school?
What would my wage be weekly?
What would I do as a assistant teacher?
What level should I do to become a assistant teacher?
Can I do a part time job?
Can I go college?
Can I leave school at 16 and work to become a assistant teacher?
you basically need GCSEs and some work experience (preferably) with vulnerable groups, a relevant qualification such as an NVQ would help

the wage is very low and things like part time work will depend on the school, I work as a teaching assistant and currently get paid around 11,000 a year (this will rise after my first year of work) and have several colleagues working part time

as far as work experience lots of things are relevant, working in education, with children in any setting, with disabilities, with mental health difficulties

you will not be able to work as a TA at 16, I'd imagine they would like someone with a bit more maturity even for a primary school and if you wanted to work with high school students you'd want to be a reasonable amount older than them, however you could start to gain relevant work experience at this point
Reply 2
Original post by essiescarlett
Hi Guys. I want to be a assistant teacher and I want to know what you need to become one. I am in year 9 and for my options I picked history, geography, art and photography and Spanish.

What qualification do I need to be a assistant teacher?
For work experience should I work in a primary school?
What would my wage be weekly?
What would I do as a assistant teacher?
What level should I do to become a assistant teacher?
Can I do a part time job?
Can I go college?
Can I leave school at 16 and work to become a assistant teacher?

You'll need at least a grade C in English, Maths and Science.

Work experience is always good to help with any application you make.

As a TA you'll do things like setting up the classroom before lessons, provide 1-1 support, or work with small groups of pupils (maybe those who need more help), or the teacher may want you to circulate around the room and help anyone who needs it. There may be jobs like photocopying to do, playground duty, etc.

It's worth looking at completing the Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools QCF qualification (look for places that offer this, rather than a course simply called 'Teaching Assistant' - to be worthwhile, you want to look for a course that is a QCF because they're nationally recognised qualifications - you should be fine if you look to complete this at a college). To complete the course, you'll need to do a placement (usually a minimum of 50 hours) and complete a series of written tasks / produce a portfolio.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending