The Student Room Group

careers with kids?

I've asked this before but what careers can you do with kids that aren't the generic childcare careers? I'm talking jobs that possibly need a higher amount of education (and therefore higher salary) but in general I'm interested in working with kids in a less intensive environment than with nursery work.
After I realised I wanted to work with kids (helping them emotionally and therapeutically mostly) I started working part-time as an unqualified assistant nursery practitioner. I'm enjoying working with the kids a lot, but there's no way I could do this job every day. I have inattentive ADHD so I enjoy the mental stimulation of actually being with the children BUT I'm so exhausted I fall asleep soon after getting home and will feel drained for a few days afterwards. If I don't sleep well and then go to work, by the afternoon I'm an exhausted mess and I'm noticeably less able to deal with the kids (when I'm feeling at my best I'm really engaged with them). I'd considered becoming a primary school teacher for KS1 but I'm still very aware that this will still be an issue (and I've never had the personality type to be good and disciplining kids). I'm more interested in the child wellbeing type fields and so was looking into therapies where I can have engaging sessions working with kids of all ages but have a break in-between with a bit of quiet so I can screw my head back on tight for another session. Any ideas of possible jobs? I've been looking at occupational therapy/speech and language therapy/play therapy but don't fully know what a work day looks like.
Child Psychologist
Counsellor
Occupational Therapist
Social Worker
All of which would also open the door to you becoming an author and possibly a researcher

or why not qualify to diagnose dyslexia ? You can do this for a local authority and once on the approved register, privately as well.
Civil service jobs
Original post by bulbethaur
I've asked this before but what careers can you do with kids that aren't the generic childcare careers? I'm talking jobs that possibly need a higher amount of education (and therefore higher salary) but in general I'm interested in working with kids in a less intensive environment than with nursery work.
After I realised I wanted to work with kids (helping them emotionally and therapeutically mostly) I started working part-time as an unqualified assistant nursery practitioner. I'm enjoying working with the kids a lot, but there's no way I could do this job every day. I have inattentive ADHD so I enjoy the mental stimulation of actually being with the children BUT I'm so exhausted I fall asleep soon after getting home and will feel drained for a few days afterwards. If I don't sleep well and then go to work, by the afternoon I'm an exhausted mess and I'm noticeably less able to deal with the kids (when I'm feeling at my best I'm really engaged with them). I'd considered becoming a primary school teacher for KS1 but I'm still very aware that this will still be an issue (and I've never had the personality type to be good and disciplining kids). I'm more interested in the child wellbeing type fields and so was looking into therapies where I can have engaging sessions working with kids of all ages but have a break in-between with a bit of quiet so I can screw my head back on tight for another session. Any ideas of possible jobs? I've been looking at occupational therapy/speech and language therapy/play therapy but don't fully know what a work day looks like.

Teaching assistant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending