The Student Room Group

Manchester: an LGBT desert?

I am a lesbian, and I moved to Manchester in September and I admit I was expecting it to be more... well... gay. I know there's Canal St, but I don't know a single LGBT person at my uni (excluding myself), and there must be some :P. Part of the reason I chose Manchester was that I thought I would feel at home, and ironically I feel more cut off from the LGBT community than I did in my home town. Friends at other, smaller unis still seem to come across their fair share of LGBT people, so I am wondering whether it has more to do with my course.

Basically my question is... are there any other LGBT people on TSR (in Manchester) and where would they recommend that I go to meet other LGBT people?
(edited 8 years ago)
Tbh the feeling of atomisation happens to a lot of people and has nothing to do with the sexuality peg you're hanging it on. uni is a big place compared to school/small town where everyone knew everyone else's business. 5-10% of people you meet will be lgbt just like anywhere else you just don't know it.

Join the lgbt soc

Cross post in the Manchester university forum as people may have some tips there
The problem with Manchester is that all things LGBT are focused on Canal Street. This means that it's pretty much a case of Canal Street or nothing, and when you dislike the culture of Canal Street an the majority of people who frequent it, that can be very isolating for an LGBT person.

Join the LGBT society or perhaps look out for LGBT events at bars (not necessarily at Canal Street) which are aimed at meeting likeminded people.
Reply 3
I can't say I agree with scrotgrot - uni might be a big place, but in over 30000 people, you'd think I'd have run across at least one other LGBT person (I realise that I've not met them all). I haven't felt cut off or swamped in the same way as other people in terms of friendships, and this is not my first time living away from home. It seems like a lot of the humanities courses at other universities have the LGBT students and I don't study a humanities course, so that might have something to do with it.

I looked at the LGBT society's Facebook page previously, but the events seem very thin on the ground. There is a bit of an issue because people sometimes can't tell that I'm gay and I don't find Canal St fantastic for a number of reasons (door staff turning away 'straight' girls, poor place to talk, etc).
I don't suppose you're into BDSM OP? Cos from experience, the Manchester BDSM scene is pretty awesome, and there's a lot of crossover with LGBT+ community. :smile: I know tons of bi/pan/other-sexual people in Manchester, and I hardly set foot on Canal Street. :tongue:
Reply 5
I am into that stuff a little bit, but I wouldn't say hugely. It is an interesting thought... I don't actually know anyone into that in Manchester either (!)
Original post by 010251
I am into that stuff a little bit, but I wouldn't say hugely. It is an interesting thought... I don't actually know anyone into that in Manchester either (!)

Well if you're interested, I recommend getting onto Fetlife and seeing if any munches tickle your fancy. My favourites are: kinky drinkies and the under-35s munch (both at the Molly House on Richmond Street, behind Canal Street), also the one at FAB Cafe is good too (think it's called the Manchester munch?). There are also more specific ones that I hear are good too, but those are the main ones I can vouch for. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 010251
I am a lesbian, and I moved to Manchester in September and I admit I was expecting it to be more... well... gay. I know there's Canal St, but I don't know a single LGBT person at my uni (excluding myself), and there must be some :P. Part of the reason I chose Manchester was that I thought I would feel at home, and ironically I feel more cut off from the LGBT community than I did in my home town. Friends at other, smaller unis still seem to come across their fair share of LGBT people, so I am wondering whether it has more to do with my course.

Basically my question is... are there any other LGBT people on TSR (in Manchester) and where would they recommend that I go to meet other LGBT people?

Haha that's weird, I had the opposite experience. I have a group of about ~twelve good friends in Manc, and five of us are gay/lesbian/bi. We all met in different ways too so it's a pretty funny coincidence.

Is there an LGBT society you can join? Or perhaps a different society that's popular with LGBT people? I hate to stereotype, but my lesbian friend joined the women's rugby society and a large amount of them are also lesbians (and it's how she found her current gf). Other than that... Brenda? :tongue: Or, yeah, just trying to meet people down Canal street. That's pretty dodgy though bc a lot of people down there end up being straight.
Reply 8
Original post by k3ro
my lesbian friend joined the women's rugby society and a large amount of them are also lesbians

I am laughing so hard... I have considered this, just to find other LGBT people - normally I avoid sport wherever possible, but I think even sport is preferable to another few years of 'Where did everyone go?' :biggrin:

I will probably give both things mentioned here by you and superwolf a try, it's worth a shot :P
Reply 9
Original post by 010251
I am laughing so hard... I have considered this, just to find other LGBT people - normally I avoid sport wherever possible, but I think even sport is preferable to another few years of 'Where did everyone go?' :biggrin:

I will probably give both things mentioned here by you and superwolf a try, it's worth a shot :P

Hahaha honestly, my friend also hates sports in general but she seems to have a really fun time in the rugby society. She gets... Muddy a lot. :tongue: Perhaps give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, and even if you end up dropping out of it you might have made a few friends!
Original post by 010251

:yy: Maybe see you around sometime then! :hi:
Original post by 010251

Seconding superwolfs suggestions, the Manchester munches are really nice and they aren't going to judge you for not being serious enough about it or any the like that. The U35s one had a few students there if iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Societies are a good way to meet people :smile: maybe look for events happening in the area, and sometimes lesbian apps are useful. You don't have to date, just say you're looking for friends. There's Brenda, Her, OkCupid... My friend has met up with lots of friends through those.. And tumblr.
I feel the same. I moved to Cardiff hoping to make LGBT friends. So far I have made none :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending