The Student Room Group

CfE Higher Computing Science 2015 - Post-Exam Discussion

Hi everyone,

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread for Higher Computing of any sort. I could have sworn there was previously one for the old Higher...

Anyway, for anyone who sat the CfE exam today, what did you think of it?
Reply 1
Original post by ROC10
Hi everyone,

I noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread for Higher Computing of any sort. I could have sworn there was previously one for the old Higher...

Anyway, for anyone who sat the CfE exam today, what did you think of it?

I crashed this course and found parts of the exam quite difficult especially the salon questions, not sure what to make of it :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by jodc1
I crashed this course and found parts of the exam quite difficult especially the salon questions, not sure what to make of it :frown:

Yeah, some of those salon questions were quite tough.

The exam was not what I was expecting at all. I thought there would be more programming questions. I also found some of the questions quite surprising.
My lucky son, who got an A at Higher Computing last year, was mistakenly given the Higher paper today instead of the Advanced paper. He got through to the end before it was discovered and then he had to have a supervised lunch with an Invigilator then sit the Advanced paper in the afternoon. He said the Higher paper was a good warm-up!
Reply 4
Found some questions particularly hard to answer, i seemed to struggle with the trace table at the end aswell and i'm not completely sure i've written the algorithm right. Just hope i've done enough
Reply 5
Very strange paper. Felt the prelim was much more challenging. A lot of the stuff in the paper seemed a bit easier, not the right word but just completely strange, a lot of website questions which threw me off a bit. But I think I've passed for sure which is good enough for me to do my AH and HNC next year. I also did pretty well in the assignment which I'm glad for.

This exam reminded me a lot of how Nat 5 exam was imo. Extreme focus on website knowledge. Can't wait till August now.
Reply 6
Original post by C16
Very strange paper. Felt the prelim was much more challenging. A lot of the stuff in the paper seemed a bit easier, not the right word but just completely strange, a lot of website questions which threw me off a bit. But I think I've passed for sure which is good enough for me to do my AH and HNC next year. I also did pretty well in the assignment which I'm glad for.

This exam reminded me a lot of how Nat 5 exam was imo. Extreme focus on website knowledge. Can't wait till August now.

Yeah I agree. The website stuff threw me a bit too.

Also, the teachers at my school were expecting a lot more coding questions and were shocked to see the only true one was an input validation. I really was expecting to see some questions where we would have to write some other standard algorithms.

They were also quite surprised and unhappy with the HTML/CSS section and some of the mark allocations.

I'm pretty sure I passed though; and I got 60/60 for the assignment so hopefully it will be good enough to get an A.

I'm doing AH next year too! :smile:
Reply 7
Has anyone gotten a lower result than anticipated? I have gotten a B when predicted an A and 3/4 others in my class have gotten C's when predicted A's... just doesnt look right to me
Original post by CK3324
Has anyone gotten a lower result than anticipated? I have gotten a B when predicted an A and 3/4 others in my class have gotten C's when predicted A's... just doesnt look right to me

Only 16.1% of candidates got an A this year, which is one of the lowest of all the new highers. My guess is that it is due to the large emphasis on coursework (40% of the final grade). I got an A but that was with full marks in the coursework, so I only needed 50% in the final exam.
Reply 9
how do you do the assignment
please help me because I have no idea on what I am doing please please tell me exactly what to do and how to do it
than you so so so much love you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending