The Student Room Group

I am feeling down about how long it's taken me to learn to drive.

Last night I sat down and did some serious calculations and worked out that since my first lesson, all the way back in AUGUST 2014, I have had approximately 39 lessons. 39!!

The average is meant to be 20-30 hour and a half lessons. Most of my lessons were two freaking hours, but some 1:30, meaning I have had about 70 hours with a driving instructor.

My stupid first instructor brought me down sooo much! It wasn't until my... get this... FIFTEENTH lesson that we did roundabouts, and it was SIXTEEN lessons before I first entered fourth gear!!!

And then I had about 10 bad 2-hour lessons in a row, where I made zero progress. It was after my final, utterly godawful lesson, that finally broke the camel's back and I told my mum I am making no progress. I am such an asshat, I should have said something earlier :frown:

If I had only started with the instructor I had now, I would have probably passed months ago. It's meant to take 3-6 months, and I've been doing this for nine, and my test is not until the end of June.

I am gutted that I wasted so many lessons and so much money with this first instructor. She taught me in 25 2-hour lessons the same amount that this new instructor taught me in 10 1:30-hour lessons. I'm such an idiot for not mentioning something earlier :frown:
Seriously, 15 lessons of quiet roads followed by 10 bad lessons. That was basically my experience for five months. Not to mention her doom-and-gloom constantly saying that I was not even a quarter-of-the-way to test standard and I shouldn't even think about my test yet.
Yeah, so I've had over 40 hours and I'm not even quarter there. That's sooo gonna make me feel good isn't it? And don't even get me started on her constant use of the dual controls.

I feel so down that all my friends passed in like 4 months and that of course it had to be me to have a bad instructor.

Has anyone taken longer than this to learn?

Scroll to see replies

I passed a year after I started lessons, but I took my first test after 5 months and only had a handful between then and the one I passed. Maybe 3 or 4 if even that.

I don't think you should feel down about it, you have your test booked and once you do pass nobody cares how long it took you anyway!
There's a tonne of driving instructors that will constantly teach you bad techniques or even not teach you it at all for the primary reason they want to take more money from you so they will constantly tell you that you aren't ready enough, for you to then give them another £400 worth of lessons.

In terms of driving, confidence is key so don't let a bad instructor get you down. If you believe you are improving on your driving you most likely will.

If you haven't passed yet don't let it get you down. I didn't even start my lessons until I was 19 and passed in 5 months for the main reason I believed I could :smile:
As others have said confidence is key.

I passed after 8 hours even though my instructor insisted I wasn't ready and refused to let me use his car. My sister took over a year because she was nervous and listened to her instructor rather than herself.
As long as your safe and follow the rules of the road you'll pass; but if your nervous you'll make stupid mistakes and then fail, which will make you feel even worse, so just keep calm and show the instructor your not going to crash and die in fireball 5 minutes after passing your test
Reply 4
I'm 21 soon to be 22, a majority of my friends passed as soon as- whereas I didnt start my lessons till after I finished college- even then they've been broken up 1- awful instructor 2- brilliant instructor in uni town but because its in the uni town I go home for holidays

:hugs:
I feel your pain I was in the same position couple months ago, however I did notice my lack of progress after about 10 hours and changed driving schools quite quickly. Some instructors milk you for money and some genuinely want you to pass which is the case with the instructor I have now. All I can suggest is that you find a reputable school with high success rates. Good Luck, don't give up persistent and patience is the key!!!
Original post by Minecraft27
Last night I sat down and did some serious calculations and worked out that since my first lesson, all the way back in AUGUST 2014, I have had approximately 39 lessons. 39!!

I only read this much. I thought you were going to say years! I did well over 70/80 lessons before I passed my test. 39 lessons is not a lot at all, assuming they're one hour long. And starting in August - it's not even been a whole year. I took well over a year.

That's not long at all, and everyone learns at their own pace. I learnt the hard way that there's no point comparing yourself to your friends.
Original post by Tillybop
I only read this much. I thought you were going to say years! I did well over 70/80 lessons before I passed my test. 39 lessons is not a lot at all, assuming they're one hour long. And starting in August - it's not even been a whole year. I took well over a year.

That's not long at all, and everyone learns at their own pace. I learnt the hard way that there's no point comparing yourself to your friends.

Reading the rest would have been a good idea.

They were nearly all 2 hours, some 1:30.
Reply 8
Probably spent too long playing Minecraft...
Reading the rest would have been a good idea.

They were nearly all 2 hours, some 1:30.

So were mine and I still did double the number you did. Seriously it doesn't matter how long they were - everyone learns at a different pace and comparing yourself is only going to be detrimental. Even if you had a bad instructor, that happens, there's nothing you can do to change it.

Just focus on passing. I passed a year ago, and now I realise I have passed, I have a licence, the same as all of those who spent much less time learning. And in the long haul it doesn't matter how long you took - you get the same thing at the end.
I am a retired Driving Instructor, so I have a different perspective on this, there are more important things than passing your test, the important thing is staying alive in the first 12-18 months after you pass.

Statistics show there is some link between number of lessons and accident rate.

When I first started teaching in 1982 it took on average 1 hour of tuition for every year of your life. By the time I retired from Driving Instruction taking up a different career path in 1998 that figure was closer to 2 so I would guess that figure may be higher still since the standard of the test has changed over the years. Finding the right driving instructor to suit your temperament and with the right level of expertise is not always easy. My advice find one who has a DIpDI an extra qualification
You really need to stop focusing on how many lessons/hours you've had and comparing it to friends or average stats.
Everyone learns at their own pace and you will get there. You really haven't been learning for that long so stop worrying on all of that. Not everyone would have had to switch instructors so these stats or friends/family members' numbers are going to be different to yours. not that it matters.
Focus on having good lessons, driving safely and passing the test :smile: Also try to get as much experience as you can in a parents car so you can experience all sorts of situations on the road to prepare you for the test.
It all comes in good time. My friends passed within 6 months if learning but I took a little longer. What matters in the end is that I've now got my license. That's all that matters. So don't worry about the hours you've just concentrate on how you'll get there! :smile:
You say the first Instructor brought you down, usually I could tell in the first lesson if there was a personality issue, I would even ask if they thought we were going to get on, Its so important to find someone that builds your confidence, in terms of a learned skill, Driving is one of the hardest thing you will ever learn to do. Motor skills, combined with hazard awareness and navigation. Yet within a year of passing your test it is automatic. We are incredible learning machines, don't worry you will get there.
Reply 14
I took more than that to learn. In the end I stopped focusing on the amount of lessons it was taking and started focusing on becoming competent as driving is risky hence why you need a license and that's when I started to improve.

I am a visual learner so in between lessons I would watch driving lesson videos on YouTube & practice in my ex-girlfriends car.

My advice to you is keep at it, you will eventually get there. Don't focus on averages or compare yourself to others as this will effect you negatively, change your focus to becoming more competent & don't tell anyone when the date of you test is when you book it as this will only make you more nervous rather announce it as a surprise when you passed like I did :smile:

Good luck
Reply 15

The average is meant to be 20-30 hour and a half lessons. Most of my lessons were two freaking hours, but some 1:30, meaning I have had about 70 hours with a driving instructor.

My stupid first instructor brought me down sooo much! It wasn't until my... get this... FIFTEENTH lesson that we did roundabouts, and it was SIXTEEN lessons before I first entered fourth gear!!!

And then I had about 10 bad 2-hour lessons in a row, where I made zero progress. It was after my final, utterly godawful lesson, that finally broke the camel's back and I told my mum I am making no progress. I am such an asshat, I should have said something earlier :frown:

If I had only started with the instructor I had now, I would have probably passed months ago. It's meant to take 3-6 months, and I've been doing this for nine, and my test is not until the end of June.

I am gutted that I wasted so many lessons and so much money with this first instructor. She taught me in 25 2-hour lessons the same amount that this new instructor taught me in 10 1:30-hour lessons. I'm such an idiot for not mentioning something earlier :frown:
Seriously, 15 lessons of quiet roads followed by 10 bad lessons. That was basically my experience for five months. Not to mention her doom-and-gloom constantly saying that I was not even a quarter-of-the-way to test standard and I shouldn't even think about my test yet.
Yeah, so I've had over 40 hours and I'm not even quarter there. That's sooo gonna make me feel good isn't it? And don't even get me started on her constant use of the dual controls.

I feel so down that all my friends passed in like 4 months and that of course it had to be me to have a bad instructor.

Has anyone taken longer than this to learn?

Don't worry. It is a long process for some, like me. It doesn't mean we can't drive well or we need more practice, it just means that we need the right people to guide us and of course luck on the test day! I have had three tests now and I have failed all three of them. I know people reading this that have passed are gunna think how can u fail three times, well the answer is you can. It had bad instructors - time taken out, feeling as if I won't pass etc. but you have to keep going!! I have been so unlucky on my tests that it's like anything you do they try to catch you out. I've failed on silly little things nothing major. My advice is: don't feel low about it or think all your friends have passed cuz that will only pressure u more. Stay positive, take ur test and do all your checks! I have my test booked again and I'm really Guna for fit this time!!
Reply 16
I have been learning since September 2012 (I did have a 8 month break) but still, such a long time. I've had 3 different instructors and just about to take my second test. Don't feel down about it! It will come with time :smile:
Everyone does it their own pace so I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 4 months break otherwise it has been nearly a year and I've only just booked my test. I used to get agitated when I saw first years passing before me but I just think it doesn't matter now. It isn't a competition and a lot of people I know had the opportunity to drive their parents car and get more experience. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else does focus on yourself and what you want to do.
I've had about 40 hours of lessons and I'm still nowhere near ready to take my test because I panic easily behind the wheel and forget what to do. I have an anxiety disorder and am a naturally panicky person anyway, but my driving instructor keeps saying if I stop panicking I will learn quicker and cut out the silly mistakes. Unfortunately not panicking is easier said than done for me :frown: I started learning back in August last year too, but I've only been able to afford to have lessons once a fortnight as my driving instructor only does 2 hour ones (probably don't have the time to have them more often anyway). I thought I'd pass my test by the time I start work in September but it's not looking likely at all. It probably doesn't help that I'm learning in a really busy area. I hope it will come with time but I've reached a point where I'm losing confidence with it and getting frustrated because it feels like I shouldn't be finding it this hard. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Do you ever think your putting to much pressure on yourself?
i see you on the "failed my driving test" thread posting similar issues.

Driving takes time - and it's different for everyone, having a bad instructor probably has set you back a bit too.
You should try not to count how long it has been - I know from seeing you on the thread you've already booked your test.
Putting pressure and stress on yourself can result in you failing your test and generaly being unsafe on the road. So you're not going to make this any easier for yourself.

it took me 8 months to pass, i could of went in for my test earlier, but I wasn't prepared for the unsafety the road brings. Thankgod I did wait - because people drive like idiots and no one is kind to you once the L plates are gone! :frown:

Basically what I mean is utilise every lesson you have up until your test, don't think about the hours gone, because as soon as you get the engine started in your instructors car your closer to the pink licence, I can assure you the extra time will seem worth it once your actually on the road alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending