The Student Room Group

everything tastes of fish.....

I know this sounds really wierd but recently food and drinks have been tasting of fish. I'm completely vegi and don't like fish at all, haven't eaten it in years. my christmas dinner was ruined because all i could taste was fish.

I know you probably think I'm on another planet here..but sometimes changes in taste indicate other problems...any ideas would be great!!!!

Scroll to see replies

in somecases in frozen foods if they are kept in the freezer or supermarket beside fish it sometimes can give the other food the taste and smell
Reply 2
you on vitamin supplements or oils derived from fish, such as cod liver oiil?
Have you started smoking / been smoking a lot recently?
Reply 4
don't smoke, don't take cod liver oil...if i take suppliments they're all vegi... havent changed my diet at all. roast potatos...the whole dinner was fresh....just made a cuppa...clean cup....still tasted a tad fishy....
Reply 5
Is this a joke? Sorry, it just sounds a bit odd! :biggrin:

I'd give it a week or two, and then consider seeing your GP. It may be symptomatic of an underlying condition.
Reply 6
Anonymous
don't smoke, don't take cod liver oil...if i take suppliments they're all vegi... havent changed my diet at all. roast potatos...the whole dinner was fresh....just made a cuppa...clean cup....still tasted a tad fishy....

even veggie supplements can be made from crayfish shells or something... failing that, dunno.
Reply 7
well that was my question really...what causes such taste changes, as it's not all the time just recently had it about 6/7 times.....just seems a bit odd
Reply 8
Is it taste or smell? Cos I do know they're related! Dont mean to worry you but if you smell weird things its a symptom of a brain tumour! But very unlikely without some other symptoms!
Reply 9
Anonymous
well that was my question really...what causes such taste changes, as it's not all the time just recently had it about 6/7 times.....just seems a bit odd

you don't have a dead fish in your water supply do you?
Reply 10
you see in your freezer is there lots of fish inside or do you live near a river or somethink ?!?!
My suggestion would be to remove the tuna which is lodged in your throat.
Reply 12
Been throught the whole freezer thing. I do not eat frozen roast potatos, or drink frozen tea. It's only me, no one else in my family, either they are immune or my tastebuds ave been rewired in my sleep.

the brain tumour thing is why i started this thread but dont fancy scaring myself by googling it....so thought anyone on here might have an idea of what sort of changes to taste. and it is taste only, can't smell a thing!
Reply 13
great scott you have it.... :: removes the tuna fish...:: !!
Reply 14
this is intresting
i got an idea wash your mouth out then eat somethink anything and see then if it still tastes like fish then go see a doc :smile:
Reply 15
What does fish taste like then? Using Dr Who logic it should taste like anything but fish, perhaps like baked potato or a soiled mattress. I would take the previous poster's suggestion and wash your mouth out thoroughly with a very distinct taste like toothpaste or a lovely big pear and then see if foods still taste strange. I know that people having strokes or heart attacks sometimes smell almonds so I guess it could be a medical condition. If you can bring yourself to tell your Doc that you tasting fish then it's worth ago.

Just out of interest, does the OP actually like the taste of fish? If so then could she/he be able to identify what kind of fish it tastes like?
I remember when anything I drank tasted sulphury. Turned out it (at least I reckon) was a kind of plaque bacteria thing on the back of my toungue. I just started brushing the whole surface of my toungue when brushing my teeth and it went away very quickly. I'd floss everyday too cos it could be the reason also. As you grow older your teeth start pushing together more and harder for your brush to get between.
Reply 17
Can you all try not to be silly please
I think I had something simular.

I went on holiday to Indonesia this summer and on the way back we had to sit next to the kitchen on the plane. (it was a really long journey! 12 hours or something).

Anyways I went to sleep and when I woke up the smell from the kitchen made me sick. Then my dad got prawns...prawns for breakfast. Yuck!

Anyways I had the horrible plane-food smell for the next 5 weeks after my holiday.

Yuck...its coming back now that I've remembered it :frown:
Reply 19
I'm not a fan of fish and haven't eaten it in years. it doesn't taste like fish in a 'oh this is tuna/cod......' but it is more...well you know when you can smell fish? that is how it tastes...it's probably just me and i've hit my head one too many times, and re aligned my buds!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending