The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Science with an Integrated Foundation Year

So i got an offer from UoM and i have few questions.

I am British citizen, but i was born and raised in Georgia (country), so my English is not fluent, i am taking IELTS exam at later this month and predicted grades are about 7.0 in listening,speaking,reading and 6.0 in writing.

I want to continue studying in UoM on Computer Science, i know C++ and have understanding of programming and i am good at maths but i am really bad at physics, will I be OK on foundation year or will it be really hard for me?
Is UoM good and known for CSci ?
I am coming to UK with my girlfriend she will be studying at MMU, will she be allowed to come on University area? like outside where students are chilling and will she be allowed to come with me on parties ?
And what are the chances to finish foundation year successfully to continue studying at The UoM?

i know i am asking some stupid questions but i really don't know how things work in UK, so i would appreciate if you could answer all of my questions guys :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
The foundation year is taught entirely from scratch, on the assumption that you have very little prior knowledge. I hadn't done any Physics at all when I started the foundation year and I was fine, I found a lot of it easier than Maths even. The Computer Science pathway doesn't actually have any mandatory Physics units, only Maths. You have to pick three optional units from Chemistry and Physics, however, which means you'll have to do at least one Physics unit over the course of the year. I had to do all three Physics units and, as I said before, I was fine. There's also no programming content on the foundation year, the closest you get is a Maths unit based on elementary logic.

UoM is very good for Computer Science, it's where the first electronically-programmable computer was made after all!

MMU students have limited access to UoM's libraries and facilities, though to what extent I'm not sure. I know that we're allowed to join each other's societies, for example. Going to flat parties etc. with you will be perfectly ok.

The pass requirements for the Computer Science pathway are an average of 60% in the Maths units and 50% in everything else. The year is quite intensive but as long as you keep on top of things, you'll pass easily.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Thank you very much, your post was really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending