The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Missing Warwick offers

Hello, how lenient is Warwick on people who meet the STEP offer but get a B in the "third subject"?
Original post by johnperp
Hello, how lenient is Warwick on people who meet the STEP offer but get a B in the "third subject"?

I think they're generally much stricter on the A level requirements than they are on the STEP requirements.

So from what I've seen, they would probably be more likely to go with someone that got A*A*A3 than someone with A*A*B2.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hm, thanks. What about A*AB1?

I imagine that would be viewed the same as A*A*B2.
Reply 3
Original post by brittanna
I imagine that would be viewed the same as A*A*B2.

Sorry, I deleted my previous post in an attempt to re-post.

What is "what I've seen"? I find it hard to believe that STEP would be viewed lower than a third a level subject that has little or no relevance to the course. Are there instances where someone can be saved by e.g. a good competition record (senior maths challenge/olympiad)?

Thanks
Hm, thanks. What about A*AB1?

Edit: Sorry, I can't help but ask: What is "what I've seen"? I find it hard to believe that STEP would be viewed lower than a third a level subject that has little or no relevance to the course.

I know quite a few people that have got a 3 in STEP, and met the A level requirements, but I don't know anyone that hasn't met the A level requirements, even with a higher STEP grade.

That's not to say you won't get in. I'm not an admissions tutor and so I can't say for certain.
Sorry, I deleted my previous post in an attempt to re-post.

What is "what I've seen"? I find it hard to believe that STEP would be viewed lower than a third a level subject that has little or no relevance to the course. Are there instances where someone can be saved by e.g. a good competition record (senior maths challenge/olympiad)?

Thanks

Ultimately, it would come down to how many people met the offer that year.

If the quota is managed to be completely filled by people that got A*A*A2, then even if you got A*A*BS, then if there's no space left, they can't let you in.

I'm not sure about maths competitions. I don't imagine they'd care all that much about the SMC. Perhaps they'd look more carefully if you'd gotten through to and done well in BMO.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I know quite a few people that have got a 3 in STEP, and met the A level requirements, but I don't know anyone that hasn't met the A level requirements, even with a higher STEP grade.

That's not to say you won't get in. I'm not an admissions tutor and so I can't say for certain.

Thanks, so it's just the case that people who meet the STEP offer don't usually fail the A level requirements?

Edit: Regarding your last reply: Ok, that's more understandable. Thanks for the info
Thanks, so it's just the case that people who meet the STEP offer don't usually fail the A level requirements?

Edit: Regarding your last reply: Ok, that's more understandable. Thanks for the info

Pretty much, yeah. So it is possible that you would still get in. It would just depend a lot on how many people actually met the offer.

Pretty much, yeah. So it is possible that you would still get in. It would just depend a lot on how many people actually met the offer.

No government restrictions on intakes anymore either :smile:

Sorry to derail the thread.
What about GCSE requirements? How important are they compared with A-level and STEP grades?
Original post by morgan8002
Sorry to derail the thread.
What about GCSE requirements? How important are they compared with A-level and STEP grades?

In terms of getting an offer, it doesn't really make a difference. Warwick give maths offers to basically anyone as long as they are predicted at least AAB at A-level (or somewhere around that).

If you mean in terms of getting accepted if you miss your offer, then I don't imagine they'd care all that much about GCSEs. I didn't do amazingly at GCSE (I only got 7 actual GCSEs). And for universities in general, I have a friend who got into Oxford with 2A*'s at GCSE, witht he rest being A's, B's and C's which I imagine is below average. So I don't think GCSEs are all that important generally when applying to universities, although perhaps slightly more for Arts/ Humanities subjects.

As I said though, I'm not an admissions officer and so can't say for certain. But I don't think GCSEs would really even come into play at all in the decision (as long as you've got at least a B in Maths, although I'm sure even that could be excused with a good AS result).
Original post by Jai Sandhu
No government restrictions on intakes anymore either :smile:

But they still have to be reasonable with the number of students they can accept. I can't imagine they'd every accept more than 320 students or so (which I think is roughly how many they have admitted each year anyway for the last few years), mainly to do with the capacity of the lecture theatres.
But they still have to be reasonable with the number of students they can accept. I can't imagine they'd every accept more than 320 students or so (which I think is roughly how many they have admitted each year anyway for the last few years), mainly to do with the capacity of the lecture theatres.

What I mean is similar to what UCL said to me on their post offer holders open day. Before if everyone met their old entry requirements of AAA, someone who go A*A*B they would have to reject when they would prefer them over an AAA candidate. Warwick i assume would be likewise, if you got A*A*B + S in STEP I highly doubt they would reject you.
Reply 13
Anyone know anyone that studies ancient history at Warwick and didn't meet their offer but still got in? The offer is abb
Reply 14
I have just got my results for the European Baccaleurate. My offer was 85% overall and 85% maths. I have achieved the maths but missed my overall average by 0.2% as I got an 84.8% How lenient is Warwick with European students.
PD: I applied for Economics

Quick Reply

Latest