The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 sociology: Beliefs in society

Scroll to see replies

I thought science and ideology came up in unit 4 not three?!
Original post by siaanlike
I thought science and ideology came up in unit 4 not three?!

It can come up as science being an open/ closed system with things like falsification, scientific paradigms and CUDOS norms. Ideology is things like hegemony and stuff.
Original post by jordan_s
It can come up as science being an open/ closed system with things like falsification, scientific paradigms and CUDOS norms. Ideology is things like hegemony and stuff.

do you have any notes on this pleaseeeee???
Original post by siaanlike
do you have any notes on this pleaseeeee???

I don't have my own notes but this power-point sums it up pretty well!

http://www.slideshare.net/emmaashman/unit-3-sociology-beliefs-in-society

Starts on slide 75 for the topic you need x
Ahh so nervous for this tomorrow! Thank goodness for the 1.30pm start.

Good luck everyone!
Omg Jade no way (you'll know me from the cringey name) :O

I know this is bad but I'm gonna do a couple of hours cramming now D: Anyone who does psych will know how useful Loopa is, I wish we had something like that for this! I know you can't trust predictions ALWAYS but it helps to have an idea of what is more likely to come up so you can focus revision. I've heard NRM/NAMs, science and functionalism are likely though from nosing around, those seem manageable so we'll see.

I've mostly been using the AQA revision for my revision too... We have like three other textbooks which don't work for me, I've only glossed them over, which could cost me... Idk. I'm kinda surviving on the "I'll be fine under pressure :smile: :smile: :smile:" pretence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Random question but are Cults a NRM?
Probably one of the more unlucky sods who are doing this exam as this clashes with my Accounting exam, meaning I'm having to sit this at 11:30 rather than 2pm. Good luck either way to everyone, feel like this exam is gonna be a bit of a bitch.
Reply 108
how could a global or pm twist be added to a theory essay, i can only think of two things. its a paradox as pm argue and people have different ways of meeting needs i.e in a pm society we meet needs through spiritual shopping
Original post by derbynowalways
please someone help, in postmodernity I've wrote 'LYON' says globalisation has caused increased movements of ideas and beliefs across national boundaries, we live in postmod media saturated society where ideas become disembedded...this deinstitutionalises religion. Is this lyotard or lyon?!

Go to Youtube and type in post modernity and religion and you should get my Marbury Education Service podcast on the topic......there is also one of Modernity and religion.
Original post by T1997
I think for the 33 markers , there is a chance secularisation and ideology and science may come up , does anyone know how likely religious organisations e.g sects are likely to come up?

I really hope secularisation comes up or any one of the theories:u:
Original post by advent
Random question but are Cults a NRM?

Yes they are. Cults are world accepting NRM whilst sects are world rejecting NRM
What kind of things would you put for secularisation though??
Reply 113
NRM or NAM plan please???
How did everyone find it? Personally thought it was a good paper! :biggrin:
Original post by jordan_s
How did everyone find it? Personally thought it was a good paper! :biggrin:

It was definitely good, but there wasn't much to discuss about consumerism and the Religious Economy. I wrote more for the 18 marker than the 33! I also didn't get to finish or write a conclusion for the 33 marker ;/

Didn't expect any Marxist stuff to come up either, like the 'opium of the people'.
Original post by jakepro94
It was definitely good, but there wasn't much to discuss about consumerism and the Religious Economy. I wrote more for the 18 marker than the 33! I also didn't get to finish or write a conclusion for the 33 marker ;/

Didn't expect any Marxist stuff to come up either, like the 'opium of the people'.

Oh really! I thought I wrote too much for the 18 aswell haha- did you choose question 4 for the 33 marker then? I chose question 3- hopefully a wise choice...
I found that paper amazing! I was really confident on science as I revised it expecting it to come up, but also I was so pleasantly surprised to see Marxism <3 I chose question 3 as well, I just wrote about NRMs/NAMs/cults and how they often have low commitment, you can drop in and out as you please, and then look for something else to fit your needs, then for counter arguments I used cultural defence (people feverently following their belief as a way to stick together and belong somewhere), countries which have religion intertwined with law (I used Iran), can't remember what else tbh it was such a n overload but I did it! I wrote about 2x as much for the 33 marker which does make sense given the marks, I do wish Marxism was the 33 marker though and the pick mix thing could have been item A/question 3.
Reply 118
Omg I did not say any of that but most of my class used the same points I did - for the 33 I picked question 3 as well but I spoke about heelas as new age spirtual movements and drane for postmodernityand new age with Lyon and ledger for spirtual shopping and the idea of pick and mixing religions and then I counteracted it with securalisation points Bruce and weber and and I spoke a little about sects
What did u guys write for the first question? I think I probably got a D or even worse 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending