The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 sociology: Beliefs in society

Scroll to see replies

Hm i think it was a tricky paper.

For the 9 marker i wrote:
1. disenchantment and rationalisty so weber and bruce
2. how science is a stronger ideological tool to religion. e.g. technology and capitalism e.g. ballistics. *:/*
3. secularisation and how religion is faith and science is fact, bringing in popper.

for the 18 marker i think i messed it up a little. I saw the word 'stability' used twice in the paper and it made me think..
I wrote: about marxism and opium, functionalism and opium, feminism and opium (??) and then argued that marxists also argue religion can be used to help proletariat like engels and bloch. then i used liberation theology, cultural defense and millenarian movements.

for the 33 i did the second question - so the appeal of sects and new age.

i wrote about marginality, relative deprivation bringing in young people cos status frustration and woman cos of gender role so deprivation. then i talked about social change so like anomies, the impact of postmodernity according to drane, late modernity and risk and then the affect of globalisation.

I dunno
Reply 121
Original post by ifti_44
What did u guys write for the first question? I think I probably got a D or even worse 😭😭

First question was poo lol I spoke about rational ways of thinking have replaced religious ones and how science can provide evidence and prove things and how people turn away from religion as they have lost faith in it now and look to science for answers instead
How did everyone find it? I was pleased with the Marxism question and the reasons for people joining new religious movements BUT hated the first one. What did people put for it?
I answered the last 30 marker wrong and I want to cryyyyy
Original post by XXSimmyXX
I answered the last 30 marker wrong and I want to cryyyyy

Why do you think that and what did you write?
for the science one I wrote about rationalisation (Weber) for one, Bruce saying that technology/science could explain things that religion couldn't, so people lose faith in religion and turn to science then finally I said about science being objective and provable, in uncertain times people might want something they can trust. Or something like that haha, I wrote and explained 3 so hopefully I'm ok for 7+ marks, fingers crossed the full 9.... Relying on getting an A* in sociology to get into Cardiff...
Original post by chescaxx
Why do you think that and what did you write?

I tried to explain why the specific people joined but I had no idea and I also didn't really evaluate
Original post by liamlovesolly
for the science one I wrote about rationalisation (Weber) for one, Bruce saying that technology/science could explain things that religion couldn't, so people lose faith in religion and turn to science then finally I said about science being objective and provable, in uncertain times people might want something they can trust. Or something like that haha, I wrote and explained 3 so hopefully I'm ok for 7+ marks, fingers crossed the full 9.... Relying on getting an A* in sociology to get into Cardiff...

for the 9 marker i did

education- teaching of big bang theory
social welfare- science solves health problems such as cancer
law- scientists are looked to for solving global warming
Reply 128

2. how science is a stronger ideological tool to religion. e.g. technology and capitalism e.g. ballistics. *:/*
3. secularisation and how religion is faith and science is fact, bringing in popper.

for the 18 marker i think i messed it up a little. I saw the word 'stability' used twice in the paper and it made me think..
I wrote: about marxism and opium, functionalism and opium, feminism and opium (??) and then argued that marxists also argue religion can be used to help proletariat like engels and bloch. then i used liberation theology, cultural defense and millenarian movements.

i wrote about marginality, relative deprivation bringing in young people cos status frustration and woman cos of gender role so deprivation. then i talked about social change so like anomies, the impact of postmodernity according to drane, late modernity and risk and then the affect of globalisation.

I dunno

Did u criticise ur points for the last question?
Original post by FlowC
Did u criticise ur points for the last question?[/QUO
Tried to as much as psosible :/ wasnt a lot though to be able to you?
Reply 130
[QUOTE="chescaxx;57047763"]
Original post by FlowC
Did u criticise ur points for the last question?[/QUO
Tried to as much as psosible :/ wasnt a lot though to be able to you?

I tried-- I wrote reasons why people might join a sect and new age and every point I would criticise it-- so I only came up with 4 points with criticisms :/
Reply 131
What's the highest mark for an A in beliefs so far?
Original post by punja
What's the highest mark for an A in beliefs so far?

Looking back to 2012's grade boundaries, last year's grade of 43 was the highest! Which is fairly low I'd say, and makes me confident.

I dunno

are my answer are going to be totally irrelevant for the second 33 mark essay, I wrote like a bunch of secularisation theory to prove that traditional religion is declining and more people would turn to sects and NAMs and apply postmodernism, Marxism,feminism, functionalism idea to it. Maybe I will totally screwed at this essay and score 0 because it's so irrelevant.
Reply 134
Thanks! That's not bad its possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
basically in my answers I just contrasted religion and science
1. Science is an open belief system vs religion is closed
2. Science is constantly developing, religion is constant and fixed
3. Scienfical knowledge can be proved religion and the exsistance of a God is not provable
Almost in the 18 marker I only spoke about Marxism in terms of alienation gramsci and hegomony and the ideological state to criticise the view it was the opium of the masses I only referred maduros liberation theory? That still is a form of criticism even if it is Marxism? Totally dont know why I didn't think about functionalism
Does anyone have any idea about what could come up in crime and deviance??

Posted from TSR Mobile
That paper was disgusting. Expect for the Marxism essay - but I never had time to finish it- the stupid invigilators brought us into the hall late. We were meant to start at 13:15, ended up starting at 13:18 - didn't get the full 1hr 30mins :angry:

My teacher was really bad anyway - she's now "left", didn't even come to see us

I did the spirtual shoppers question

I wrote about Hervieu-Leger, Fundamentalists, Stark and Bainbridge, Lyon and Cult - was that OK for at least a C?

What did people write for the science question? I can't fully remember, I think I said it was open, the world is getting more dependent on techonology, so science is needed - and how science removes the "god of the gaps" - thank God I do philosophy
Haha i wrote the same stuff that science is measurable and can be morr relibale. Also that science is objective rather than subjective which religion is and people trust that more 😂😂 we have both messed up big time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending