The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Chose York over Durham and am happy I did so!
University of York
York
I made a thread about this too.....unfortunately no responses....

York Management School for a BA in Management or Durham for a BA in Busines. I mean the career prospects or MA prospects from top universities, not surroundings or nightlife, etc.
Reply 3
York Biology is really cool, I highly recommend it, but I can't really compare it to Durham as I've never experienced it.
Reply 4
I LOVE it. It's perfect for me, completely. Have you visited both? York is suuuch a gorgeous place and the unis so relaxed and un-pretentious. Love love love love it. Plus Durham has a big hill (actually one of the reasons York was my first choice over Durham)
Reply 5
Honestly, I'd go for Durham but I think York is fantastic. The difference is only marginal.
Durhum is supposed to be quieter than York for nightlife (according to someone who lives there) but it depends on what you're after. I dunno how the Biology courses compare though...
Reply 7
This will sound mercenary but if you are going to get bursaries and things then go for Durham because if you will receive the full bursary that's an extra £1600 a year compared to the York bursary. Admittedly accommodation costs more but you still have at least an extra £800 and if you can't really decide between the two then it is a point to consider. If you aren't going to get any bursaries then choose York because it is cheaper.
Reply 8
i chose york but live near durham (too near to consider it).

Both are ancient and pretty cities and both have good overall reputations. with high entry standards, you'll make lots of bright interesting friends.

Durham is considerably smaller (no cinema I seem to remember) which means it could start to feel claustrophobic. there used to be a town and gown problem, so you may need to be careful which pubs you go in. Newcastle is only ten minutes by train with its fantastic nightlife, although not sure how many students make the trip with any frequency. durham attracts more than its share of private school students (bit like st andrews) who perhaps are looking to extend the hogwarts experience. although both unis are collegiate, I think durham may be closer to the oxbridge version (you won't find any formal halls with gowns at york). with cambridge as your firm, that might suit you, of course.

york is a campus uni (1960's concrete although the lake compensates somewhat) but only ten minutes walk from the city centre which is gorgeous. masses of pubs, bars and restaurants. i was worried about the social life before i came but am having a fantastic time.

it depends what you are looking for really. york suits me better but you need to visit both to get a feel for the place and the department/facilities. look closely at the course content too.

good luck
Reply 9
i would choose durham over york just because of its reputation. But durham has only 2 clubs and a few bars and lots of old men pubs (i live there, trust me) but it is a lovely place. its really nice and compact and bigger cities are close by (obviously i don't really know about york) but there are a few rough areas near by, tho you would probably never have to go there.
Reply 10
I adore York.
Yaaay I adore it too.

I'm pleased to see from the OP's sig that she picked York over Durham. I did too and I don't regret it. :smile:
Reply 12
Durham does have a cinema now but it's really small and only ever has about 2 films showing at once. The nightlife's getting better but it's still pretty rubbish and there is no h &m !
I LOVE York's cinema. I think I have a special bond with it.

If you're judging a uni on the cinemas, then york is the place to come. :biggrin: I know the cinema isn't very big, but 'tis very cute and pretty.

Every night I have erotic fantasies about it. Sometimes these transgress into my dreams too.
And the student cinema is very good too. Shows lots of film, and good films too.
Reply 15
I picked York over Durham and other than one thing it was a GAY GAY STUPID thing to do. I don't like York - the uni is too unpretentious (maybe a good point for you?), not enough work by far, the work there is is rubbish, the campus is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life and I'm just generally unhappy here. I only stayed 'cos I don't want to get into huge debt and I might as well finish my degree now seeing as I'm half way through my second year. Bring on the masters at Cam Ox ot UCL!
Yeah good luck with the masters. :smile:

I think I want to do that too. I'm happy to be here, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice to have a qualification from Oxford on my CV.

I'm not really the sort to complain about lack of work, but what the previous poster said was kind of accurate. I was surprised at the lack of work. In my eyes this is not a bad thing, it has given me a chance to do other things with my time. I don't know. I also find that if there's too much work it saps my energy - I would feel far more intellectually tired. That's not a problem here.
In arts degrees though a lot of it is up to you. I mean, you can always find more work for yourself in a subject like English I would have thought. You certainly can in PPE anyway.
Sallykins
I picked York over Durham and other than one thing it was a GAY GAY STUPID thing to do. I don't like York - the uni is too unpretentious (maybe a good point for you?), not enough work by far, the work there is is rubbish, the campus is the ugliest thing I've seen in my life and I'm just generally unhappy here. I only stayed 'cos I don't want to get into huge debt and I might as well finish my degree now seeing as I'm half way through my second year. Bring on the masters at Cam Ox ot UCL!

Do you mean there's not enough set work, because frankly there are a hell of a lot of books in the M-section of the library (not the mention history, philosophy, etc) which are there to be read!

The uni's too unpretentious? What's so bad about that? A lot of people say that, but urgh, I've met quite a few pretentious people since coming here, in any case :p:

I always find there's work to do for English, I agree with englishstudent it's more a case of not enough set work, but surely that's a good thing? You get more freedom that way to explore what interests you. What I do find disheartening about being at York though, is the fact that no one really seems to have passion for their subjects. (Or is that just me?) As for the work being 'rubbish', I guess cos most of the time the work's basically just going away and doing extra reading of articles in journals, etc. It can get a bit monotonous, especially if you're studying a boring book.

Admittedly, I'm not enjoying my time here that much, but I couldn't picture myself anywhere else.
happyslacker
The uni's too unpretentious? What's so bad about that? A lot of people say that, but urgh, I've met quite a few pretentious people since coming here, in any case :p:

I always find there's work to do for English, I agree with englishstudent it's more a case of not enough set work, but surely that's a good thing? You get more freedom that way to explore what interests you. What I do find disheartening about being at York though, is the fact that no one really seems to have passion for their subjects. (Or is that just me?) As for the work being 'rubbish', I guess cos most of the time the work's basically just going away and doing extra reading of articles in journals, etc. It can get a bit monotonous, especially if you're studying a boring book.

Admittedly, I'm not enjoying my time here that much, but I couldn't picture myself anywhere else.

How's Victorian going? :biggrin: Btw, it gets better - I quite liked term 2, but when you start choosing what to do properly it's a lot more fun. I loved the 1910-Present module for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending