The Student Room Group

AQA Comp1 2015 Predictions

A lot of people have requested me to do this, so here we go.
These are my predictions on the possible type of questions that COULD come up... What I did was to look at the list of possible questions on the AQA Comp1 wikibooks page and made a short list of questions that are sensible enough to come up...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2015_Exam/Section_D

--
Possible questions

Spoiler

Please remember that these are just my predictions and I'm not saying 100% that these questions would come up, so don't base your revision based upon my predictions. There is only one way to revise for Comp1 and that is programming practice, there's no two ways about it.

If you found this useful, post on the thread or comment to keep the thread alive. Afterall, it took me some time to go through the list and process these questions.

Good luck to you all sitting this exam

If you got any questions ask away..
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks!
Reply 2
Thanks. I'm just wondering as the last question is worth 18 marks, assuming its making the witch piece, how is it really worth 18 marks! Do you think that they will make us load and save the game in a txt, bin or csv file?
Reply 3
Original post by DaGuy
Thanks. I'm just wondering as the last question is worth 18 marks, assuming its making the witch piece, how is it really worth 18 marks! Do you think that they will make us load and save the game in a txt, bin or csv file?

Yes those are all possible, they didn't ask for that last year so they could ask to load txt file and save it. It's worth 18 marks just the same way section B is worth 15-18 marks.
Honestly, anyone can do section B with their eyes closed. I don't know why they award such marks for it, but I can't complain. Easy marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Async
Yes those are all possible, they didn't ask for that last year so they could ask to load txt file and save it. It's worth 18 marks just the same way section B is worth 15-18 marks.
Honestly, anyone can do section B with their eyes closed. I don't know why they award such marks for it, but I can't complain. Easy marks.

I'm just thinking of it as an exam, if they want us to save it as a file, shouldn't they give us a .txt .bin or .csv file with the code? I've been told by my teacher that we can't use any other software only word and the python during the exam.
Reply 5
Original post by DaGuy
I'm just thinking of it as an exam, if they want us to save it as a file, shouldn't they give us a .txt .bin or .csv file with the code? I've been told by my teacher that we can't use any other software only word and the python during the exam.

Why would they need to give us a txt or bin or csv file? You create one progmmatically if such a question came up.
Helpful :smile: Do you think they could possibly ask to create a highscore table with the number of turns taken to win? Then use Bubble Sort to sort
Reply 7
Original post by ScruffyQuaver
Helpful :smile: Do you think they could possibly ask to create a highscore table with the number of turns taken to win? Then use Bubble Sort to sort

Anything is possible. I'm not too sure though.. I think that question would be a bit too hard for average AS Student, and if they did add that question then it would definitely be the last question.
thank you for this!
I want to input with these questions to further narrow it down; I don't some of them will come up at all (soz Async):

Original post by Async

1.7 Prevent pieces from moving backwards - Likely
Pieces already can't move backwards, the ones that can are allowed to move backwards - mentioned in the preliminary material insert thing(the redum can't, I've checked this.)

Original post by Async

1.11 Allow the player to save the game - Possible

I'd want to agree; however, a lot of the edits tend to be to create/modify a specific sub-routine. This will require code in multiple places. AND even if that's not the case, I don't think this'll come up.

Original post by Async

1.12 Prevent program from crashing, when entering incorrect coordinates//1.27 Prevent the program from crashing when enter is pressed without any input
1.13 Add a new piece to the game: Kashshaptu - Very likely since they hinted the Kashaptu in the preliminary material
1.21 Use GetTypeOfGame to ask the user what type of game they want to play
1.2 Give an option to exit game
1.4 Add more options to menu

If some of these don't come up, please kill me.

Original post by Async

1.14 Add a variable to display the number of pieces each player has
1.15 Add taken pieces Counter
1.17 Allow the Redum to move two pieces as its first move
1.22 Change the size of the board
Hm.. Maybe(?)

Original post by Async

1.23 Add a point scoring system
Scoring in chess?

I'm not trying to sound boastful - thought I'd give an input to these suggestions
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Normal.Person
I'd want to agree; however, a lot of the edits tend to be to create/modify a specific sub-routine. This will require code in multiple places. AND even if that's not the case, I don't think this'll come up.

I agree with what you say about saving the game. It could come up as the last (hard) question but then that means it is less likely for the Kashshaptu to come up (unless the new piece has a very simple movement that is easy to code and requires maybe 1 screenshot for testing). The Kashshaptu is far more likely to come up in my opinion.
Reply 11
X

No not at all, I appreciate your input, they don't sound boastful at all. The reason why you may disagree with my predictions is because of the standards and expectations we have.

In my opinion all those questions in the Wikibooks page are easy for me to implement/code. So when I was writing those predictions, I had to put my foot into an AS student... And again I'm really not trying to sound boastful or superior or anything here but I've done a LOT of coding and I've created some systems used by many people. So when I see such questions like make the save the board, load the board, make the computer play itself. I subjectively think that people should be able to do it. Once you start coding bigger applications you will realize validations, IO Input/Output become the norm.

Even that save deck / load deck question.. it's relatively easy and would require no more than 2 subroutines as demonstrated in the wikibooks page. It's not complicate at all, you implement 2 subs, and call them when appropriate (in the main sub)... But I agree it would require you to edit 3 sub routines, so I can see how this can be challenging for some students.

Also, I don't really know or have played chess ever in my life nor have I played with the pseudo code as much as some other students so that should explain some things. But then again these are my predictions on the possible questions, more of a heads up if anything.

So yeah, thanks for your comment. Sorry if I sound a bit arrogant or whatever, that wasn't my intention.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by CheetahCurtis
I agree with what you say about saving the game. It could come up as the last (hard) question but then that means it is less likely for the Kashshaptu to come up (unless the new piece has a very simple movement that is easy to code and requires maybe 1 screenshot for testing). The Kashshaptu is far more likely to come up in my opinion.

Very true. Don't forget that function that was implementing that wasn't used. That's a dead giveaway...
Original post by Async
No not at all, I appreciate your input, they don't sound boastful at all. The reason why you may disagree with my predictions is because of the standards and expectations we have.

So yeah, thanks for your comment. Sorry if I sound a bit arrogant or whatever, that wasn't my intention.

Ah, nice to know man :smile:, dw I wasn't implying anything :P
And fair enough, didnt know that you've a loada previous experience :O
What sort of stuff have ya done before?
Reply 14
Ah, nice to know man :smile:, dw I wasn't implying anything :P
And fair enough, didnt know that you've a loada previous experience :O
What sort of stuff have ya done before?

Let me know when you're online. I'll show you the post
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Async
When you read this post, please do not quote it, just reply to let me know you've read it so I can delete it.

Why???
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Push_More_Button
Why???

I don't really like exposing too much information about myself. I like to keep my identify safe online.

Could you please unquote my post you devil :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Async
Could you please unquote my post you devil :biggrin:

Ok. :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Push_More_Button
Ok. :tongue:

Here is a copy of the EAD for our exam.

The last question is 18 marks (3 parts)
and the penultimate question is 9 marks (3 parts)

The 18 marker could easily be saving and loading or adding the new 'kashaptu' piece.
Since it is 3 parts i predict it will be
a-Make new sub-routine to do something
b-Alter a different subroutine (Main,CheckMoveIsLegal,GetMove etc) to use the new routine
c-Show screenshot(s)

Towards the beginning you can see there are a couple of tables. 1 looks like it could be a finite state machine table (Q1 part 13)
I'm not sure about the other table for question 3 though...

Post any predictions below guys
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending