The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computing - 3rd June 2015

I have got the GCSE computing exam coming up, followed by AQA human geography on the same day. :frown:. Any predictions for what could come up in computing???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tuffyandtab
I have got the GCSE computing exam coming up, followed by AQA human geography on the same day. :frown:. Any predictions for what could come up in computing???

I got that clash as well :frown: I also have addmaths exam that day:frown: Gonna be awful! My teacher has been useless so I can't think of anything to suggest. Isn't there always binary/denary/hex questions and some times bytes conversion, so it would be safe to say they'll come up:smile:
Original post by Xiuchen
I got that clash as well :frown: I also have addmaths exam that day:frown: Gonna be awful! My teacher has been useless so I can't think of anything to suggest. Isn't there always binary/denary/hex questions and some times bytes conversion, so it would be safe to say they'll come up:smile:

Probably. They are the kind of questions I like, but they are only worth 2 marks usually.
Reply 3
Original post by Tuffyandtab

Same here, definitely not looking forward to that day because human geography is my weaker topic! I'm not sure what could come up but I think it'll be important to know;

- binary, hexadecimal and denary conversions
- logic gates and their truth tables
- security (software and physical)
- types of software (custom/off the shelf + proprietary/open source)
- relational databases

Also, networks (LAN, WAN etc) and their topologies tend to come up a lot.
Reply 4
Writing pseudocode is also something they like to put for the 6/7 mark questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am taking my human exam next week, and I reckon there could be a question on Extreme environments and Migration as it is very relevant at the moment. Don't forget you get a extra 4 easy marks for SPAG.
Original post by chocolateworm34
I am taking my human exam next week, and I reckon there could be a question on Extreme environments and Migration as it is very relevant at the moment. Don't forget you get a extra 4 easy marks for SPAG.

Wrong thread?:biggrin:
I have that clash as well as 2 german hahaha

Anyone else not been taught any theory over the past 2 years?
Original post by DustToDust
I have that clash as well as 2 german hahaha

Anyone else not been taught any theory over the past 2 years?

MY TEACHER IS SOOOO USELESS I HAVENT BEEN TAUGHT ANYTHING! He also made us do the wrong stuff in our coursework, but thankfully another teacher found out when giving us a cover lesson!!:s-smilie::frown:
Original post by Xiuchen
MY TEACHER IS SOOOO USELESS I HAVENT BEEN TAUGHT ANYTHING! He also made us do the wrong stuff in our coursework, but thankfully another teacher found out when giving us a cover lesson!!:s-smilie::frown:

It's so bad, he also told us to use a program for the coursework without telling us we could only get a b in it and now I have to get pretty much full marks on the exam to get my target grade. Clearly not happening because I don't know any of the content!
It's so bad, he also told us to use a program for the coursework without telling us we could only get a b in it and now I have to get pretty much full marks on the exam to get my target grade. Clearly not happening because I don't know any of the content!

That is really terrible!:frown: our teacher taught us a lot of wrong things but I did manage to be one of the few people in my year to get A*. I didn't know there were such dishonest evil and bad teachers out there...:frown: Good luck with your exams!!
Original post by Xiuchen
That is really terrible!:frown: our teacher taught us a lot of wrong things but I did manage to be one of the few people in my year to get A*. I didn't know there were such dishonest evil and bad teachers out there...:frown: Good luck with your exams!!

You know it's bad when there's at least 5 straight A/A* students in my class and not one person got above a low A in the coursework! I'm so annoyed because I think I'm on track to do well in every subject but this. Thanks a lot, hope you get what you want xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Xiuchen

If you want any topics explained or help fee lfree to ask. :redface: More than happy to help you in your unfortunate situation. :h:

Spoiler

You know it's bad when there's at least 5 straight A students in my class and not one person got above a B in the coursework! I'm so annoyed because I think I'm on track to do well in every subject but this. Thanks a lot, hope you get what you want xx

Hope you get your target grade, it is possible!!:smile: x
Original post by 8472
If you want any topics explained or help fee lfree to ask. :redface: More than happy to help you in your unfortunate situation. :h:

Spoiler

Haha ok, I will! :smile: Good luck with becoming a teacher btw:smile:
Original post by 8472

Spoiler

key topics that we should remember?
Here is a summary of what we need to know:
Fundamentals of computer systems - Types of systems, reliability, standards, ethical and legal issues, environmental issues.
Hardware - CPU, ROM and RAM, Binary logic, Inputs and outputs, secondary storage.
Software - User interface, Operating system, Memory management, Files and directories, security, utilities, software procurement (off the shelf etc.)
Representing data - Binary, denary, hexadecimal, characters (ASCII and Unicode), Images, sound, instructions.
Databases - security and integrity, data models (flat file etc.), DBMS.
Networking - network hardware, types, topologies, protocols, addressing, security, internet, compression.
Programming - flowcharts, pseudocode, languages, IDE, data types, testing and errors, lots of programming stuff (variables and constants, operations, arrays, selection, iteration etc.)

Hardly a summary, I know. Good luck everyone!
this guy is literally amazing - you MUST watch him if you're still worried about the exam

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04uZ7242_M5n3zzAhcX-eslHud2Lyycd
Original post by HarunH1
this guy is literally amazing - you MUST watch him if you're still worried about the exam

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04uZ7242_M5n3zzAhcX-eslHud2Lyycd

Yeah, his videos are still extremely useful.

There are some topics on this specification that you can find on YouTube under the channel "techquickie" which is IMO entertaining and easy to understand, although they go into more detail than you need sometimes.

Does anyone know how many marks, roughly, I need to get an A*? I got 43 and 44 out of 45 in my two CAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkyJP
Yeah, his videos are still extremely useful.

There are some topics on this specification that you can find on YouTube under the channel "techquickie" which is IMO entertaining and easy to understand, although they go into more detail than you need sometimes.

Does anyone know how many marks, roughly, I need to get an A*? I got 43 and 44 out of 45 in my two CAs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well.. you probably got full UMS for the controlled assessments - so you have the full 60% achieved. But for the exam I would assume that you can get an A* just by getting a near high B - so about 50ish? Well, that's what I think at least ( I'm aiming for an A but if the exam goes well then hopefully an A*)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending